• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Silentstriker playing cricket?

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Neil Pickup said:
FWIW, I graduated last summer. I also captained the University 4th XI, umpired/scored for a mix of club sides, coached and managed club junior sides, and managed district junior sides.
The 4th XI? Is it that your studies interfered with you becoming better than a 4th string cricketer then?

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I had my best season ever - 114 runs @ 8.14 and 11 wickets @ 25.45.

Interestingly, my (career) batting as captain: 89 @ 9.89, not as captain: 79 @ 3.76...

Add a captaincy record for the fours of W9 L2 and I'm getting there. I'm developing at about the same rate as the U13s - I was good enough to play them as U12s in 2005, and I coped with them fine as U13s this year.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I've just pipped you Neil :p

Last season I had:
80 runs @ 13.3 (HS: 27*)
7 wickets @ 17.6, eco rate: 4.4; strike rate: 24. (Best Bowling: 2-32)
10 catches from 12 matches :cool:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
So I had my first practice.

I quickly found out that I come from the Inzy-Martin school of batting. I'm like Inzy between the wickets and Chris Martin when playing a shot. I decided to play fancy and hook a bouncer to midwicket boundry. Unfortunatly, my shot was about 15 seconds late and the ball hit me in the head.

After that, it was all a bit dizzy. Oh, I do remember falling down while trying to run between a wicket, and thus got run out after scoring like 8 runs.

When fielding, I make Monty look like Jonty. I had a nice easy catch and couple easy stops, but if the ball was more than five inches from my body, it was going to the boundry.

With all that said, it was quite fun and I'm definatly going to go again.

PS. Some of them bowlers are fast.

Sir Redman

State Vice-Captain
silentstriker said:

I quickly found out that I come from the Inzy-Martin school of batting. I'm like Inzy between the wickets and Chris Martin when playing a shot. I decided to play fancy and hook a bouncer to midwicket boundry. Unfortunatly, my shot was about 15 seconds late and the ball hit me in the head.

After that, it was all a bit dizzy. Oh, I do remember falling down while trying to run between a wicket, and thus got run out after scoring like 8 runs.

When fielding, I make Monty look like Jonty. I had a nice easy catch and couple easy stops, but if the ball was more than five inches from my body, it was going to the boundry.

Bat like Chris Martin eh? Let him help you out with his batting masterclass.

Oh, and yeah, cricket suddenly becomes an awful lot faster (and balls get much harder) when you're the guy staring through the crash helmet.

Dravid

International Captain
nightprowler10 said:
In all seriousness, I'm totally behind you and hope you make the team. I've been in the same situation since I came here to the US. I haven't played cricket since 1997 and don't seem to have chance in hell to play again, until maybe if I get lucky and have a cricket team at whichever university I end up at.
Why don't you play club cricket in US? There is club cricket in a lot of states in US.

And Silentstriker, what university are you going to?

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Neil Pickup said:
You don't do any work at Uni anyway. If you have to study so hard that it's possible for cricket to interfere with it, then you're too stupid to be at university.

FWIW, I graduated last summer. I also captained the University 4th XI, umpired/scored for a mix of club sides, coached and managed club junior sides, and managed district junior sides.
If you're playing 4th XI I fail to see how cricket could possibly interfere with your studies! :p

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Dravid said:
Why don't you play club cricket in US? There is club cricket in a lot of states in US.
Lack of time between work, school and the internet. That's why I'm hoping whatever uni I end up at has cricket, that way I won't have to drive a few hours just for practice.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
You've obviously never tried picking three teams to play on the same day before. Or getting people to return calls.

Had the first signs of the 2007 season really starting to begin yesterday. At the end of Saturday afternoon kids' coaching sessions, we have a game of indoor cricket (standard rules, 1 for a side wall, 2 for a 'single', 4/6 for the end wall, caught off the side walls). I'm banned from hitting sixes, and singles with U13s end in run outs more often than not. That leaves one scoring option - fours, and 10 year olds bowling long hops at 40mph can only be hit for four with horizontal-bat tennis shots. Horizontal-bat tennis shots also bring great danger of inside-edge chop-ons. Bugger.

Dravid

International Captain
nightprowler10 said:
Lack of time between work, school and the internet. That's why I'm hoping whatever uni I end up at has cricket, that way I won't have to drive a few hours just for practice.
What state do you live in

adharcric

International Coach
Dravid said:

And Silentstriker, what university are you going to?
He goes to Drexel. What about you?

Last edited:

Dravid

International Captain
Im currently in a high school in New york. Moving to Jersey in about 5 months and will probably end up going to Rutgers

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
I'll probably go to University of Toronto, best pre-med program, great university, and best of all it has a cricket team!

adharcric

International Coach
Dravid and Turbinator: Both of you are in relatively cricket-heavy regions just like me, so it shouldn't too hard to play competitive cricket if you're good enough and into it.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
sideshowtim said:
My advice would be to become a keeper. I was always a keeper for my team and I found it to be remarkably easy. Through hard work I became a very good keeper, I practiced every day, had my brothers bowl and throw balls at me. I was an average batsman but I always found a spot in the team because I was a good keeper.

The finger injuries make you question if it's worth it sometimes though.
Hmmm. I am sure you must have been good and a natural but real good keeping isnt easy. I have seen lots of youngsters in junior/scratch teams termed as good keepers because no one else is anything but disastrous and mot interested anyway.

By the way, this is a real cute thread I really enjoyed reading right through it. Maybe because it painted pictures of my younger days :D

Dravid

International Captain
adharcric said:
Dravid and Turbinator: Both of you are in relatively cricket-heavy regions just like me, so it shouldn't too hard to play competitive cricket if you're good enough and into it.
Yup, once I move to jersey I will eventually try and make the Atlantic Region U 19 team, I think you have heard of it.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
silentstriker said:

Hey SS,

I think you should start writing your memoirs. I am sure it'll be a best seller. I am not being sarcastic. You always make me smile. 8-)