• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Lara or tendulkar?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Neil Pickup said:
I really don't know! It was perfectly normal the last time I saw him (March), and then by the end of the season it was all very very front on. I'm not complaining; he's seemingly getting better and better and better - wouldn't be surprised to see him get very close to county representation next summer.

You should tell him he is batting the wrong way, and force him to change his technique to a more orthodox style.

Yes, I'm kidding.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I actually knew a person once who used to line kids up in India and force to them to watch a video of McGrath and copy his action exactly.

And he would keep doing it until their actions matched perfectly to McGrath. Same number of steps in the runup, same style, same stance, same followthrough....it was quite scary.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Sachin doesn't have perfect technique by any stretch. Dravid has a far better technique than the little master. Sachin has a far better eye and is more inventive and so on, but his technique is not perfect, except when he is driving on the up through the offside on the front or back foot.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
PhoenixFire said:
Sachin doesn't have perfect technique by any stretch. Dravid has a far better technique than the little master. Sachin has a far better eye and is more inventive and so on, but his technique is not perfect, except when he is driving on the up through the offside on the front or back foot.

No, I don't think so. Dravid has better defensive technqiue, but Sachin definatly has the better overall technique. People equate technique with defensive batting, but thats not true.

open365

International Vice-Captain
UncleTheOne said:
Ramprakash has the best batting technique of the three. :ph34r:
No he just doesn't.

There's this myth about Ramps that he's some kind of superhero batsman who's perfect in every way shape or form but just filed miserably at international level for some reason, that's not the case. He's a very very good domestic batsman, nothing more.

open365

International Vice-Captain
PhoenixFire said:
Let's be honest, Sachin's technique is as close to perfect as your ever gonna get.

UncleTheOne

U19 Captain
open365 said:
No he just doesn't.

There's this myth about Ramps that he's some kind of superhero batsman who's perfect in every way shape or form but just filed miserably at international level for some reason, that's not the case. He's a very very good domestic batsman, nothing more.
My post was tongue in cheek. But Ramps is still as technically a correct batsman we've produced in recent years.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
open365 said:
No he just doesn't.

Some people claim that he was a top batsman for over half of his career (if you ignore games when he opened, or games when he came in between 3 and 7)

PhoenixFire

International Coach
open365 said:
Let's be honest, Sachin's technique is as close to perfect as your ever gonna get.
No really it isn't. His shots look good and are very good, and effective, but his Technique isn't really close to MCC textbook.

shortpitched713

International Captain
PhoenixFire said:
but his technique is not perfect, except when he is driving on the up through the offside on the front or back foot.
Have you seen his straight drive? About as perfect as you can get, IMO.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Fair enough add his straight drive to that.

My basic point is that although his shots look good, and are extremely productive and effective, he isn't perfect on all of the attacking shots he plays. Not even Bradman was. I'd rate Dravid as good as Tendulkar Technique wise.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
PhoenixFire said:

My basic point is that although his shots look good, and are extremely productive and effective, he isn't perfect on all of the attacking shots he plays. Not even Bradman was. I'd rate Dravid as good as Tendulkar Technique wise.

Yea, I know Bradman wasn't very technically sound in the traditional way. Regardless, I think sachin is. I am wondering which attacking shots you think he doesn't play with proper technique?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
dubai194 said:
sachin has a good technique but nobody can guys like Ponting and Kallis in their techniques
Ponting? He has good technique, but its not great. Kallis has better technique, but its more a defensive shot technique, and not as technically proficient in attacking shots (like Dravid).

tooextracool

International Coach
PhoenixFire said:

I think Dravid has a couple more flaws than Tendulkar does. For example his bat comes down at an angle instead of being straight. I dont think ive ever seen anyone with a better technique than Tendulkar to be honest.

tooextracool

International Coach
PhoenixFire said:
What would you say is wrong with his technique? From what ive seen he plays with a very straight bat, his head is upright and always in the right positions above the ball, he plays with his bat close to his body and his footwork is excellent.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Right, I think if there is a fault in Tendulkar, its with his aggressiveness sometimes, or with other aspects of his game.

In terms of technique, I really haven't seen anyone better.

tooextracool

International Coach
silentstriker said:
Right, I think if there is a fault in Tendulkar, its with his aggressiveness sometimes, or with other aspects of his game.

In terms of technique, I really haven't seen anyone better.
Tendulkars faults are mostly temperamental as well as a slight tendency to poke at deliveries outside the off stump.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
tooextracool said:
Tendulkars faults are mostly temperamental as well as a slight tendency to poke at deliveries outside the off stump.
I have to agree with that. Sachin has a technique that you can teach from, Lara has a technique that you have to grudgingly admire as it is most definately not traditional. Bradman didn't have traditional technique, so its not a knock on anyone and it doesn't imply a weakness. It has to be a personal thing, do whats best for you. But you can use Sachin in an instructional video, thats for sure.

I think he might make a good coach if he decides to go that route, I think he has great cricketing intellect too I think. His problem, like tooextracool said, is mostly temperamental and that tendency. I think if he had played the way he played in 2004 or so, during his entire prime, he might have an average of like 65, but he wouldn't have been as destructive.

Last edited: