• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Battle of the Test captains

archie mac

International Coach
Goughy said:
Problem with a lot of the pre-war guys is that they were not the best available. They were mainly decent cricketers with a good upbringing and jolly good chaps. They were often not even the best amateur players avaialble.
This may have been true with England captains but not so with Aussie captains. Some that should be metioned are Joe Darling, Harry Trott and Marry Anne Noble.

Just on Chapman he was not considered a very good captain even though his record is very good :)

archie mac

International Coach
BoyBrumby said:
I'll go Woodfull. Chapman has a fine record as a captain, but I know Jardine didn't rate him at all having played under him in 28/29 & his is an opinion I value when it come to captaincy. He also seems to be one of those upper class Englishmen who Goughy spoke of; Oxbridge, crashingly good chap, FC record not really worthy of a call up.
By all accounts a great fieldsman, and a very good attacking batsman. Sad though that drink got the better of him

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'll have to go for Woodfull aswell to try and round out our 32. Once the real battle starts I will not be voting.

C_C

International Captain
30 names.
Here are my top 10 in advance(no particular order):

Imran
Lloyd
Ganguly
Taylor
Pataudi
Worrell
Chappelli
Brearley
Flemmo
Jardine

Xuhaib

International Coach
OK so Woodfull gets the last entry these are the final 32 names.

1-Jardine
2-Bradman
3-Clive
4-Imran
5-Coney
6-Worrel
7-Benaud
8-Brearley
9-Ganguly
10-Hussain
11-S.Waugh
12-Ranatunga
13-Pataudi
14-Fleming
15-Cronje
16-Sobers
17-Viv
18-Mak Taylor
19-Border
20-Vaughan
21-Ponting
22-Kardar
23-I.Chappel
24-L.Hutton
25-R.Illingworth
26-A.Bacher
27-Wadekar
28-S.Pollock
29-W.Armstrong
30-W.Akram
31-P. May
32-B.Woodfull

First battle to start shortly.
Ok Perm its fine you go ahead i will be getting busy with exam from tomorrow.

Perm

Okay the preliminary voting for our last candidate is now closed. The winner of that was Bill Woodful who will now make it into our top 32.

Round 1, Battle 1

Mark Taylor

Test: 50 Matches, 26 Wins, 13 Losses. Winning Percentage: 52%
ODI: 67 Matches, 36 Wins, 30 Losses. Winning Percentage: 53%

vs

Ajit Wadekar

Test: 16 Matches, 4 Wins, 4 Losses. Winning Percentage: 25%
ODI: 2 Matches, 0 Wins, 2 Losses. Winning Percentage: 0%

Voting will last 24 hours.

Last edited:

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Taylor is the best captain I have seen in my time watching cricket. He was simply brilliant, and head and shoulders above the likes of Waugh. He could win a match from any situation, and he always seemed to come up with a strange field or bowling change that would bring success from nowhere. One of my favourite batsmen and a great slipper as well.

C_C

International Captain
Taylor..though its very very close.

Oh and it is utterly ridiculous to include win-loss record to evaluate a captain while the objective of a captain is to win matches, fulfilling that objective is not an automatic admission of satisfying the criterias for being a good captain.

oz_fan

International Regular
Taylor for me. A very good win - loss record and assembled the team which would go on to dominate world cricket. Taylor was also brilliant tactically and like Faaip said could win the match from any situation.

Last edited:

Xuhaib

International Coach
C_C said:

Oh and it is utterly ridiculous to include win-loss record to evaluate a captain while the objective of a captain is to win matches, fulfilling that objective is not an automatic admission of satisfying the criterias for being a good captain.
Tubby for me

W/L record is usefull if you are evaluating 2 players about whom you have not much knowledge so the W/L ratio provides you with a rough idea, though i completley agree it should not be the main criteria for judgement.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
C_C said:

I don't think it's utterly ridiculous as it is, ultimately, what a captain will be judged on (Wadekar got the boot because of it), but I do agree that it doesn't give the whole picture, much as a keeper's dismissals & byes conceded don't say everything about his quality behind the stumps. The trouble is tho that a captain's win/loss/draw ratio is really the only quantitive data it's viable to post in the body of the thread.

Anyway, it's Taylor for me.

Fratboy

School Boy/Girl Captain
Fratboy said:
Xuhaib said:
OK so M.K Pataudi gets an entry along with Peter May, Azhar is shown the door.

This leaves us with 31, one more name to come.
How do Viv and Akram get in ahead of Azhar and Kapil Dev ?
Listen, I don't mean to be rude, but is it too much to expect an explanation why it is justified to not include a guy who won a World Cup and one who, if memory serves right, never lost a series at home ? You've ignored this twice.

Perm

C_C said:
A Win/Loss ratio is very helpful when you are comparing two players that perhaps you do not know that much about so I felt it would be a good idea to include it to help some of the people that participate in this thread. It is entirely up to a person whether or not that they use the Win/Loss ratio for deciding who is the better captain and I agree that they should take other factors into account.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Fratboy said:
Listen, I don't mean to be rude, but is it too much to expect an explanation why it is justified to not include a guy who won a World Cup and one who, if memory serves right, never lost a series at home ? You've ignored this twice.
Relax dude not everyone can get in and winning the WC is not that important here since this is the battle of test captains.

Fratboy

School Boy/Girl Captain
Xuhaib said:
Relax dude not everyone can get in and winning the WC is not that important here since this is the battle of test captains.
I know not everyone can get in. What I want to know is why Akram and Viv got in ahead of those two? Kapil was more than just an ODI captain anyway, and Azhar was the one responsible for the reputation India had of being invincible at home.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Fratboy said:
I know not everyone can get in. What I want to know is why Akram and Viv got in ahead of those two? Kapil was more than just an ODI captain anyway, and Azhar was the one responsible for the reputation India had of being invincible at home.
I respect your oponion buddy but i picked Viv and Akram based on my judgement. I've not seen Kapil captain and also never really rated Azhar so i decided not to pick them.

Next time when you get the opportunity to start a similar thread then you have all the rights to pick players who you feel are more deserving.