• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Indian bowlers

open365

International Vice-Captain
I'm impressed with Munaf and Sreesanth from what i saw from England's tour last year.

Sreesanth is one of my all time favourite players and i hope he goes far because i like his attitude and i think he has the talent to suceed.

Same with Munaf.

To Goughy: About the point you made that Sreesanth and Munaf should try running upright before delivery; I've been told by quite a few people that i should do the opposite so it helps me get through the crease a lot more which is something that they both do rather well atm. I notice that a lot of the bowlers that go back before delivery often fall away too much in delivery.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Historical finding quality fast bowlers have been a problem for the Indians. From what i know only Kapil Dev, Srinath, Mohammad Nissar & Amar Singh stand out while others have tried and failed or just haven't lived up to their potential i.e Prasad, Binny, Agarkar etc.

As everyone is saying Sreesanth & Patel do are very impressive prospects but will they really live up to to all this hype. I remember back between mid 2002- early 2004 when India were here in England to the vb series in Australia. The likes of Khan, Nehra, Balaji, Agarkar, Pathan were showing the same kind of potential to give India a very good group of fast bowlers, but we all know whats happened since then.

So with the likes of Patel, Sreesanth. RP Singh & VR Singh i'll wait a while before i say yea these blokes are the fast bowlers India are looking for.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
aussie said:
As everyone is saying Sreesanth & Patel do are very impressive prospects but will they really live up to to all this hype. I remember back between mid 2002- early 2004 when India were here in England to the vb series in Australia. The likes of Khan, Nehra, Balaji, Agarkar, Pathan were showing the same kind of potential to give India a very good group of fast bowlers, but we all know whats happened since then.

EXACTLY

Thats why I've been trying to tell some posters on here, when they go around foretelling the bright future of Indian pace bowling.

adharcric

International Coach
silentstriker said:
EXACTLY

Thats why I've been trying to tell some posters on here, when they go around foretelling the bright future of Indian pace bowling.
It's more like you're foretlelling the **** future of Indian pace bowling. No one's said that these guys will turn into stars but they're on the right track.
You refuse to accept even that because apparently, they're Indian seamers so you have to assume that they'll end up like trash.
Don't tell people to wait to see how they turn out if you can't do it yourself.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
adharcric said:
It's more like you're foretlelling the **** future of Indian pace bowling. No one's said that these guys will turn into stars but they're on the right track.
You refuse to accept even that because apparently, they're Indian seamers so you have to assume that they'll end up like trash.
Don't tell people to wait to see how they turn out if you can't do it yourself.

They are trash now.

They will be _________ in the future.

Going by the past bowlers, _______ will be filled in with 'trash'. Of course, one of these days someone might prove me wrong..but it hasn't happened yet.

adharcric

International Coach
silentstriker said:
They are trash now.

They will be _________ in the future.

Going by the past bowlers, _______ will be filled in with 'trash'. Of course, one of these days someone might prove me wrong..but it hasn't happened yet.
Are they "trash" right now because they aren't quality seamers or because they aren't proven? In that case, would you call Mitchell Johnson and Stuart Broad "trash"?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
adharcric said:
Are they "trash" right now because they aren't quality seamers or because they aren't proven?
They are trash because they aren't quality seamers right now, who are also not proven.

adharcric said:
In that case, would you call Mitchell Johnson and Stuart Broad "trash"?
Neither have yet played a test match, so who knows? Its harder to judge from ODI's. They could very well be trash.

Um, I just checked the picture of stuart broad on cricinfo. Is it me, or does he look 12?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
adharcric said:
How have Munaf and Sreesanth not been quality seamers so far?

They've faced West Indies and England so far and their averages are still close to 30. Plus did you see how Sreesanth just completely lost it in WI and was unable to even complete a runup and bowl another over?

And if it wasn't for that 5th test (you remember the pitch?), Sreesanth's average would be 35+.

Last edited:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
open365 said:
To Goughy: About the point you made that Sreesanth and Munaf should try running upright before delivery; I've been told by quite a few people that i should do the opposite so it helps me get through the crease a lot more which is something that they both do rather well atm. I notice that a lot of the bowlers that go back before delivery often fall away too much in delivery.
I would seriously question who you take advice from :ph34r:

Seriously though, its essential to bring your weight through in delivery. The falling away aspect you mention is unrelated and a symptom of another problem.

Its the same when you drive the ball when batting. You do not hit the ball by swinging your arms through the line but get your power from leaning into the ball and bringing your weight forward into the ball.

Imagine a ruler being bent back. The further you bend it the more violently it snaps back. Its the same with fast bowling. The more you 'snap' the weight from back to forward the more momentum you can put in the ball.

Apologies to those with dial-up, but just to prove a point

Gough, Weight back ready to explode forward

Botham, Weight back ready to explode forward

Imran, Weight back ready to explode forward

Shoaib, Weight back ready to explode forward

Lee, Weight back ready to explode forward

Dilley, Weight back ready to explode forward

Weight transfer, from back to forward, in the coil and delivery is essential to bowl quick.

Last edited:

adharcric

International Coach
silentstriker said:
They've faced West Indies and England so far and their averages are still close to 30. Plus did you see how Sreesanth just completely lost it in WI and was unable to even complete a runup and bowl another over?

And if it wasn't for that 5th test (you remember the pitch?), Sreesanth's average would be 35+.
Sreesanth did break down in remarkable fashion in the West Indies and I think something was seriously wrong with him. His pace was down in the 2nd and 4th tests (rarely crossed 83 mph if I recall correctly) and he didn't look the way he usually does. In the final test he was getting closer to the way he bowled against England. For me, I consider that 2nd test against the West Indies an extreme aberration because he didn't look ANYTHING like he did before and after that match.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
adharcric said:
Sreesanth did break down in remarkable fashion in the West Indies and I think something was seriously wrong with him. His pace was down in the 2nd and 4th tests (rarely crossed 83 mph if I recall correctly) and he didn't look the way he usually does. In the final test he was getting closer to the way he bowled against England. For me, I consider that 2nd test against the West Indies an extreme aberration because he didn't look ANYTHING like he did before and after that match.

He's played five matches, and in one of them, he was rubbish and the other he broke down completely. So thats not good. Thats why I say he is rubbish right now. Who knows in the future?

adharcric

International Coach
silentstriker said:
He's played five matches, and in one of them, he was rubbish and the other he broke down completely. So thats not good. Thats why I say he is rubbish right now. Who knows in the future?
Alright. I personally think the way he bowled so well in three matches overwhelms how he didn't do well in the other two, especially as he wasn't just bowling his normal way and getting owned. Anyways, your hard-nosed approach is cool with me. I just like to combine a little optimism in there. Enough of this. For now. :)

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
aussie said:
Historical finding quality fast bowlers have been a problem for the Indians. From what i know only Kapil Dev, Srinath, Mohammad Nissar & Amar Singh stand out while others have tried and failed or just haven't lived up to their potential i.e Prasad, Binny, Agarkar etc.

So with the likes of Patel, Sreesanth. RP Singh & VR Singh i'll wait a while before i say yea these blokes are the fast bowlers India are looking for.
Not judging because of past precedence is a bit silly for me.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
not really, India's history shows they dont produce that many great fast bowlers. So with the likes of Patel, Sreesanth & RP Singh i'll wait a little while before i say they are the real deal.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
aussie said:
not really, India's history shows they dont produce that many great fast bowlers. So with the likes of Patel, Sreesanth & RP Singh i'll wait a little while before i say they are the real deal.
So just because Zimbabwe's history showed they were not an impressive batting side, you wouldn't have analysed the likes of Andy Flower, Goodwin? :wacko:

You didn't have to analyse who is a real deal or not (just what you thought of each of them) but your remarks show you are treating the topic with a closed mind - a bit silly as I said.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Pratyush said:
So just because Zimbabwe's history showed they were not an impressive batting side, you wouldn't have analysed the likes of Andy Flower, Goodwin? :wacko:

No I wouldn't have, until they showed that they were indeed international class.

I thought this is obvious.

Pratyush said:
Zimbabwe got test status in 1990s but India have been playing since their pre-independence days,yet Zimbabwe have already produced a better medium pacer(Heath Streak) than India ever have.I've given up all hopes since the failures of Balaji,Pathan & Nehra in tests.