• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Battle of the Australians

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
This is actually quite a tough one.

The Kid was a good bowler but no Alderman or Reid :ph34r:, however he was Yorkshires first choice as their 1st ever overseas player until he got injured and they had to find a lesser player and bring in his backup, Sachin Tendulkar :) which obviously means a lot of people rated him very highly. .

The legend of Benaud has grown over the years and he has benefited from his high profile post-cricket job. Listening to old commentary and reading reports by his contemporaries it seems that he was not considered a great player during his playing days. Mainly a decent bat, decent bowler and exceptional captain.

In conclusion, both good, neither great. I like McDermott a lot but I go with Benaud for his captaincy and allround contribution over a number of generations to cricket.

JBH001

International Regular
Tough draw on McDermott - always thought he was really under-rated in his time, and less appreciated than he should have been after he retired.
(Especially the way he worked back from his back injury and all that, and playing a crucial role in the Aus series win over the WI)

Still, Benaud it has to be.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
17-2 to Richie Benaud.

Round 1, Battle 3

Victor Trumper

Test: 48 matches, 3163 runs @ 39.04 | 8 wickets @ 39.62

vs

Ian Healy

Test: 119 matches, 4356 runs @ 27.39 | 366 catches, 29 stumpings
ODI: 168 matches, 1764 runs @ 21.00 | 194 catches, 39 stumpings

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Ian Healy. Set a new standard for keepers world wide and often contributed important performances with the bat. Australia's greatest ever keeper.

luffy

International Captain
Trumper played in an era where low cricketing scores were common and he had an average of 39. My vote: Trumper

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Has to be Trumper really for me. It's obviously hard to compare across the decades, but all accounts suggest Trumper was the best Aussie bat of his era (& generally regarded as the best there'd been until his retirement) & to be the best of one's era is all one can reasonably ask of any sportsman.

Healy was a great keeper & a nuggety presence in the lower middle order, but really the best service he made to cricket (or the non-Aussie part of it, anyway) was keeping Gilchrist out of the test XI for so long! :p

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Healy, Australias best man behind the wicket, and who could forget that Six from Hansie in 1997/98 to win us the game!!!

Oh and he's a Queenslander to boot ;):D

Matt79

Global Moderator
Trumper - bad luck for Heals to draw him.

Trumper changed the way people saw the game. Only a handful of players have done that.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Mister Wright said:
Ian Healy. Set a new standard for keepers world wide and often contributed important performances with the bat. Australia's greatest ever keeper.
Sure he was a better keeper than Marsh?

Anyway i'm going for Trumper..