• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket on YouTube

Days of Grace

International Captain
Don't know how long it's going to last, but am absolutely loving the TriSports Cricket YouTube channel.

It's uploaded a plethora of highlights packages of World Series Cup matches from the early to mid 1980s (usually lasting about 40 minutes), many of which I've never had the chance to see before in any format. And the picture quality is generally excellent. Watching them has certainly helped me get through this no cricket period.

One observation from the matches is how the 1980s Steve Smith threw away his career by going on the rebel tour as he had a lot of talent; at the very least he would've been a fixture in the one-day side if he'd stayed on.

I made this observation in another thread but it bears repeating; it's striking how bad 1980s Australian umpires were at judging run outs. It feels like they get 2-3 wrong every match.
Just finished watching New Zealand’s chase of 295ish at Adelaide in 1982/83. Great stuff. Did Lance Cairns ever play on the off side?

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
I made this observation in another thread but it bears repeating; it's striking how bad 1980s Australian umpires were at judging run outs. It feels like they get 2-3 wrong every match.
I think I found the worst one of the lot from this India/NZ 85/86 Adelaide match. Were all umpires this bad at judging run outs pre-3rd Umpire?

Been great watching these 1980s one-dayers; actually makes me wish they brought back the tri-series.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Great clip of Saqlain's memorable tour to India. 4 fivers in 2 tests including so many top order wickets. It's why I will always back Saqlain to be lead spinner to travel to India for hypothetical ATG match up.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
And here classic Tendulakar vs. Saqlain battle. Tendulkar did respect Saqlain a lot. This is why he often went out of character to attack Saqlain and unsettle him. Only other bowler he tried to do that to in my memory was McGrath who also he had immense respect for.

Last edited:

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Check out Mahanama's dismissal at the start. One of the best I've seen.

Also Morrison's run up at 13 minutes. What the hell?

Last edited:

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Graeme Pollock batting in a one-day game against an Aussie attack in 1987, courtesy of, who else:

DriveClub

International Regular
Think his medium pace works to his advantage, if it was faster batsmen could get quite a few to the boundary instinctively. With wagners pace they have to time it better otherwise might get caught in the circle like here.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
^ Yeah agreed. Most of it was fine but I really disliked his tactics leading up to that last dismissal there and the one where he got Smith similarly at leg gully. As funny as it was then, it'd make for some pretty boring cricket if it became a thing.

Last edited:

Daemon

The bumper tactic is fine, Wagner has been doing it forever. I don't like the way outside leg line though.

Daemon

Nice little piece on Mumbai cricket.

Apparently Shaw traveled 5 hours in crap public transport every day to play. **** that.