• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Test team of the year 2006

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
1.Strauss
2.Sehwag
3.Ponting (C)
4.Jayawardene
5.Hussey
6.Flintoff
7.Sanga (WK)
8.Warne
9.Asif
10.Ntini
11.Murali

Last edited:

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Clapo said:
1.Strauss
2.Sehwag
3.Ponting (C)
4.Jayawardene
5.Hussey
6.Flintoff
7.Sanga (WK)
8.Warne
9.Asif
10.Ntini
11.Murali
4. Sanga, 5. Jaya, 6. Hussey, 7. Flintoff and that's about my team too. Possibly with Harmy in for Asif.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
silentstriker said:
Dravid > Jaya.
Point. Forgot about him. :D And on consideration, Asif >>> Harmy (but Warne has about one thing going for him this year, and that's 6/86 v SA. I'm tempted to go with Lee over him). So that's 4 Dravid, 5 Sangakkara, 6 Hussey, 7 Fred, 8 Lee, 9 Asif, 10 Ntini, 11 Muralitharan.

Dravid 1,046 @ 74.71
Jayawardene 944 @ 62.93
Ponting 802 @ 89.11
---

Sangakkara 974 @ 60.87
Yousuf 1,123 @ 86.38
Hussey 544 @ 68.00

Last edited:

pietersenrocks

U19 Vice-Captain
Openers
1.Mathew Hayden
2.Andrew Strauss
3.Virender Sehwag
4.Graeme Smith

Middle Order
1.Kevin Pietersen
2.Alastair Cook
3.Ian Bell
4.RAhul Dravid
5.Ricky Ponting
6.Michael Hussey
7.Jacques Kallis
8.Mohammad Yousuf
9.Younis Khan
10.Mahela Jayawardene

All-Rounders
1.Andrew Flintoff
2.Irfan Pathan

Wicket Keeper
1.Kumara Sangakara

Bowlers
1.Glenn Mcgrath
2.Mutiah Muralitharan
3.Stuart Clark
4.Shane Warne
5.Makhaya Ntini
6.Mathew Hoggard
7.Anil Kumble
8.Mohammad Asif

pskov

International 12th Man
silentstriker said:
Wow, younis is in there twice. Panesar beats out Warne, and Ponting is nowhere to be found!

I knew you guys have high hopes for Panesar, but isn't it just a tad early to put him over Warne?
Oops on Younis being in twice there, meant Yousuf for the one batting at 5.

Ponting has had a great year statistically, but a lot of his runs were scored against Bangladesh. Same reason why Stuart Clark isn't in the side.

As for Panesar beating out Warne, this is a team of 2006. So far this year, Panesar has bowled better than Warne has, taken more wickets and at a better average. Of course I don;t think he is a better bowler than Warne in terms of talent or skill, but he's performed better so far this year. So my revised team would be..

Strauss
Dravid
Younis
Jayawardene*
Yousuf
Sangakkara+
Flintoff
Ntini
Murali
Panesar
Asif

Edit: and yes I'm cheating a bit by pushing Dravid up to open, but aside from Strauss no openers have had a real stand out year so far. Still plenty of cricket to be played of course.

Last edited:

Shabash Tapash

Cricket Spectator
Why does everyone have strauss and sehwag?? They both have done alright but nothing special. Also Mohammad Yousuf should be a definate with well over a thousand runs at around 90 with six 100's and two of them doubles. The team should be:

Hayden
Hussey
Ponting
Younis
Dravid
Yousuf
Sangakarra
Murali
Stuart Clark
Ntini
Asif

Having Murali in the team means there is no need for an allrounder as the Aussies have proved with Warney and 3 seamers

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
People probably have Sehwag and Strauss because their records are much better than Hayden's and they've opened...

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Shabash Tapash said:
Why does everyone have strauss and sehwag?? They both have done alright but nothing special. Also Mohammad Yousuf should be a definate with well over a thousand runs at around 90 with six 100's and two of them doubles. The team should be:

Hayden
Hussey
Ponting
Younis
Dravid
Yousuf
Sangakarra
Murali
Stuart Clark
Ntini
Asif

Having Murali in the team means there is no need for an allrounder as the Aussies have proved with Warney and 3 seamers
Why do you have Hayden? He averages 39podd this year. Strauss averages over 47 with 3 tons. And Hussey has opened 3 times this year, scoring 37, 23 and 89. That's not enough to get in as an opener.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Samuel_Vimes said:
4. Sanga, 5. Jaya, 6. Hussey, 7. Flintoff and that's about my team too. Possibly with Harmy in for Asif.
Has Warne really done enough to be in a World XI in 2006 though? He averages over 30...

And Harmison?! You can't be serious...

tooextracool

International Coach
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Why do you have Hayden? He averages 39podd this year. Strauss averages over 47 with 3 tons. And Hussey has opened 3 times this year, scoring 37, 23 and 89. That's not enough to get in as an opener.
and there lies the misinterpretation of stats. Strauss has been rubbish all year, and was rescued by his most recent series against possibly the worst bowling attack of the entire year. To have him in the side, is quite frankly the most ludicrous thing ive heard given that he probably went through the worst patch of his career during the same time period. Id much rather pick hayden instead who played in tougher conditions against better bowlers and came out somewhat successful

Mr Mxyzptlk

tooextracool said:
and there lies the misinterpretation of stats. Strauss has been rubbish all year, and was rescued by his most recent series against possibly the worst bowling attack of the entire year. To have him in the side, is quite frankly the most ludicrous thing ive heard given that he probably went through the worst patch of his career during the same time period. Id much rather pick hayden instead who played in tougher conditions against better bowlers and came out somewhat successful
Your point? I never said Strauss had a great year. His year was just less mediocre than Hayden's. The point of starting my post with Hayden can't be underestimated. 8-)

tooextracool

International Coach
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Your point? I never said Strauss had a great year. His year was just less mediocre than Hayden's. The point of starting my post with Hayden can't be underestimated. 8-)
im not sure i understand what your point is. you quoted someone who questioned the inclusion of Strauss in everyone's XI, and said that he averaged 47 this year. i just pointed out that Strauss's stats dont really potray how poor hes been all year.

Mr Mxyzptlk

tooextracool said:
im not sure i understand what your point is. you quoted someone who questioned the inclusion of Strauss in everyone's XI, and said that he averaged 47 this year. i just pointed out that Strauss's stats dont really potray how poor hes been all year.
I quoted someone who had Hayden ahead of Strauss. Wow. I can't believe I just had to rephrase simple English for you into equally simple English.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Strauss*
Sehwag
Ponting
Sangakkara+
Jayawardene
Yousuf
Flintoff, for lack of a better candidate
Mohammed
Asif
Ntini
Murali

tooextracool

International Coach
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
I quoted someone who had Hayden ahead of Strauss. Wow. I can't believe I just had to rephrase simple English for you into equally simple English.
err and i argued that Hayden should play ahead of Strauss because Strauss has been absolutely useless all year, bar one series against mediocre opposition.
Hayden scores runs against Nel and Ntini on seamer friendly wickets, while Strauss scores runs against Gul, Sami, and an out of sorts Kaneria on dead flat wickets while failing miserably all winter and during the summer(bar 1 inning). Clearly lets go for Strauss then.