• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Must Watch Clip: Darrell's Only Interest of the Ball During Game

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Honestly its difficult to understand whats objectionable about what Hair is doing in that video clip. One had already seen this on TV. He is just doing his job.

What people may find strange, and with some justification, is that inspite of keeping such a close watch, Hair did not, it so appears, SEE anything untoward on the part of the fielding side. What then made him so sure that they had done something. For me thats a mystery that must be probed and the adjudicator MUST clarify as to what all did Hair take into account when arriving at his 'conclusion' of ball tampering.

Just, by the way, I was shocked and scandalised when Sachin was accused of ball tampering. I am never going to be convinced that THIS was what he was trying to do. However, when he was penalised and had to stand down for a game (and many on this forum said he WAS a cheat) my national pride was completely unaffected.

My national pride was also not affected by Azhar being implicated in the match fixing scandal (and I believe he WAS involved) but what hurts my national pride is when we let cheats go unpunished.

There will always be cheats in sports and in every other aspect of life and in every country. Those who believe otherwise should go back and check the pins on their nappies. But if an Indian is caught cheating (and some weight lifters have been caught again and again) I dont think it amounts to Indians being cheats. My national pride is not so fragile as to be affected by the presence, real or imagined, of cheats amongst my countrymen. This is not because I do not have any national pride but because my national pride is very strong.

My national pride is hurt when I KNOW that we let cheats go unpunished at times when their guilt is so obvious. These could be sportsmen, politicians or business leaders.

I would like to believe thats true for all my friends from other nations too. But maybe I am wrong.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Pedro Delgado said:
Bugger national pride and bugger nationalism, it causes more pain than joy.

Internationalsim is the future :cool:
Agreed. There is a lovely article on this in an Indian paper today though the context is not this controversy but a political one in India.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Fusion said:
This seems to be a "way out" from all parties so the ODI series is not affected. By delaying the hearing, there will be no decision on Inzi's ban until after the series has concluded. Which will allow the ODI series to proceed.
Sensible and practical approach. At least NOW someone is trying to buy time for tempers to cool down.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
honestbharani said:
And regarding ur first point, that is why I think the law needs to be amended so that such things can be discussed and decided upon in the referee's room after the day's play instead of at the heat of the battle.
All well and good, but by then the side that has tampered has been able to get the benefit of this for a significant period of time.

FRAZ

International Captain
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
The insinuations of this post are far more presumtious, biased and racist than anything that Umpire Hair did on Sunday. I wonder if he had said his name was Saeed...
Regardless the fact that what I meant actually but your comparison seems like displaying a competition b/w the two evil deeds . So you admit that there was somewhat "difference of sun baked mega pixles" issue involved there,on sunday?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
marc71178 said:
All well and good, but by then the side that has tampered has been able to get the benefit of this for a significant period of time.
they can always reverse the decision. You tamper with the ball significantly changing its shape and behaviour and you get caught, no matter what state the match is in, you will be declared to have lost it down the line when the hearing and stuff are completed. AFAIC, it will be even more of an insult for the team and players engaging in that kind of stuff than a 5 run penalty during the course of the game. I mean, you get 5 runs if you hit the helmet for God's sakes. Are these two the same things?