• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Test Allrounder

Who's the Best Test Allrounder

• Flintoff

Votes: 32 60.4%
  • Kallis

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • Gilchrist

Votes: 8 15.1%
  • Pathan

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Vaas

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Vettori

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Sangakarra

• Pollock

• Dhoni

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Swervy said:
does that include the innings Jones couldnt bowl due to injury (I think one of the Ashes innings last summer and Brisbane a few years back)
Every inning where SPJ bowled at least 1 delivery.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
andyc said:
IMO an allrounder is someone who warrants his spot, or contributes well, in more than one form of the game. Hence, a keeper/batsman is an allrounder.
so any batsman who is a reasonably good fielder & catcher is an allrounder right?

Swervy

International Captain
Sanz said:
well thats hardly fair then is it???? he bowled only a few overs before he did his knee in in Brisbane, and then he did the same last summer

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Anil said:
so any batsman who is a reasonably good fielder & catcher is an allrounder right?
No but someone like Jonty Rhodes who is exceptional in field should be considered one.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Swervy said:
well thats hardly fair then is it???? he bowled only a few overs before he did his knee in in Brisbane, and then he did the same last summer
Why ? And isn't it unfair for Afridi as well when his captains don't give him enough opportunity to bowl despite having almost equal or better strike rate as Pakistan's main spinners that have played during his time.

Not to forget that there have been times when Afridi has bowled very few overs because Pakistani fast bowlers/seamer have exploited the pitch and condition well enough that his bowling has not been needed ( e.g. Karachi Test vs. India in 2006, Kolkata test in 1999 etc ), That's not the case with SP Jones though, being a fast bowler he is almost always going get enough to bowl.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Sanz said:
No but someone like Jonty Rhodes who is exceptional in field should be considered one.
yeah i thought of that....i just don't think of people like rhodes or gilchrist as allrounders....allrounders are even more rounded cricketers than that, for me.....

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Sanz said:
So thus the 2 which gave him 12 month injuries then, or do you really think he'd have stopped at 7 and 4 when he was the best English bowler on show on both occasions?

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
So thus the 2 which gave him 12 month injuries then, or do you really think he'd have stopped at 7 and 4 when he was the best English bowler on show on both occasions?
Hey it's not my fault if the best English bowler gets injured after every over.

Swervy

International Captain
Sanz said:
Why ? And isn't it unfair for Afridi as well when his captains don't give him enough opportunity to bowl despite having almost equal or better strike rate as Pakistan's main spinners that have played during his time.
if Afridis bowling isnt needed, then he is hardly being picked on his bowling, so whether he should be considered as a genuine all rounder is up for debate:)

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Swervy said:
if Afridis bowling isnt needed, then he is hardly being picked on his bowling, so whether he should be considered as a genuine all rounder is up for debate:)
Agreed, wouldn't that make him more of a batting all-rounder?

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Swervy said:
Clearly twisting my statements. There have been instances when bowlers like kapildev have not been needed on spinner friendly pitches, does that mean he was any less of a bowler ?

My point was Pakistan had bowlers like Wasim, Waqar, Shoaib at one one point who would finish the entire batting lineup among themselves and no spinner was needed, I gave you couple of examples as well. A better example would be Mcgrath in the 2nd innings of the Sydney test in super series, he bowled only 6 overs whereas the spinners bowled 34 overs.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Also take example of Kallis, How many overs does he bowl per test ? I guess it is very similar to what Affers bowl/test and not to forget that Affers has better strike rate than Kallis.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Anil said:
No. A good fielder wouldn't get selected just because of his fielding. A good keeper often is though.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
LOL, I see what you're trying to do there - but Freddie has been injured quite a few times down the years.