Page 1 of 55 1231151 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 813

Thread: Playing selector: Lets pick the best test XI of different eras

  1. #1
    International Captain bagapath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    India
    Posts
    5,040

    Playing selector: Lets pick the best test XI of different eras

    Having gone through several lists of all-time XIs and polls to choose greatest knocks, partnerships etc. I propose to start a thread in which all of us can play selectors and choose the best team from the past two decades. It might be just a variation of other discussions we've had. But putting together a team with our various national, cultural backgrounds, knowledge bases and understanding of the game might be interesting.

    I do have some ideas on how it can be done. Tell me if it makes sense or if we need to change a few rules to start a selection process.

    1) The team should be the best possible XI representing players who have actively played test cricket from the English summer of 1986 to the English summer of 2005 - including both seasons. We will base our selection only on performances in the given time frame.

    This gives us 20 years of test cricket to base our opinions on. It is not too long and not too short. Also, it might be the correct era for most of our forum members to have a first hand opinion on.

    2) The team will have two specialist openers, three middle order batsmen, one genuine all-rounder, one wicket keepr, two fast bowlers and two spinners. If the all-rounder happens to be a spinner (which is highly unlikely for this era), we can choose three fast bowlers and one specialist spinner.

    3) A batsman with bowling skills or a bowler with ability score runs or a player with greater fielding ability can be given extra weightage when we discuss their places. We will also select a captain.

    4) Since we have very knowledgable members with good writing skills we will have an open discussion for each slot before starting the poll. The poll conductor can decide whent to start and end the polls. I am not experienced in running polls. If someone with the knowledge can volunteer, it can avoid a lot of confusion.

    5) As a strategy we can consider having batsmen of different temperaments, left-right cominations, spinners of different styles etc. But it doesnt have to be a rule. We will decide on a case by case basis on what suits the team we are choosing.

    6) We will deal with the whole process in a phased manner. The six stages will be: Openers, middle-order, all-rounder, keeper, fast bowlers and spinners.

    I will try to name all the possible names who have played in the given time frame. We can add delete before setlling down on the final list.

    1. Openers:

    Australia: Boon, Taylor, Slater, Hayden, Langer
    England: Gooch, Atherton, Vaughan, Trescothick, Strauss
    India: Gavaskar, Navjot Sidhu, Sehwag
    Pakistan: Anwar, Sohail
    New Zealand: Wright, Fleming
    South Africa: Gary Kirsten, Gibbs, Smith
    Sri Lanka: Jayasuriya, Attapattu
    West Indies: Haynes, Greenidge, Gayle

    2. Middle Order:

    Australia: Mark Waugh, Seve Waugh, Allan Border, Ricky Ponting, Damien Martyn, Adam Gilchrist, Dean Jones
    England: Gower, Thorpe
    India: Amarnath, Vengsarkar, Azharuddin, Tendulkar, Dravid, Laxman, Ganguly
    Pakistan: Miandad, Salim Malik, Inzamam, Mohammad Yousuf, Younis Khan
    New Zealand: Martin Crowe
    South Africa: Kallis, Cullinan
    Sri Lanka: De Silva, Jayawardane, Sangakkara
    Zimbabwe: Andy Flower
    West Indies: Richards, Lara, Chanderpaul

    3. All Rounders: Imran, Botham, Kapil, Hadlee, Cairns, Pollock, Kallis, Flintoff, Akram.

    4. Wicket Keepers: Healy, Gilchrist, Stewart, Russell, Mongia, Moin Khan, Latif, Ian Smith, Parore, Boucher,

    Sangakkara, Dujon, Jaobs, Andy Flower,

    5. Fast Bowlers:

    Australia: McDermott, Hughes, McGrath, Gillespie, Lee
    England: Botham, Gough, Caddick, Harmison, Hoggard, Flintoff
    India: Kapil Dev, Srinath
    Pakistan: Imran, Akram, Waqar, Akhthar
    New Zealand: Hadlee, Cairns, Bond (??)
    South Africa: Donald, Pollock, Ntini
    Sri Lanka: Vaas
    Zimbabwe: Streak
    West Indies: Marshall, Ambrose, Walsh, Bishop

    6. Spinners:

    Australia: Warne, McGill
    India: Kumble, Harbhajan
    Pakistan: Qadir, Mushtaq, Saqlain
    New Zealand: Vettori
    Sri Lanka: Muralitharan
    Last edited by bagapath; 11-08-2006 at 10:19 AM.

  2. #2
    Cricket Web Content Updater alternative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    11,114
    why do we have question mark next to shane bond
    Member of the AAAS
    Member of CW Green | Stedingham Jets Grade Cricket Team | Northside Power

    Manager of South Australia (WCC)

    Winner of AFL Tipping 2006 | Winner of Wimbeldon Prediction 2006

  3. #3
    International Captain bagapath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    India
    Posts
    5,040
    Quote Originally Posted by alternative
    why do we have question mark next to shane bond
    i dont know if he will qualify since he hasnt even got 100 wickets....

  4. #4
    International Debutant aussie tragic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    2,265
    Please add Dean Jones to the Middle Order (I know there are three better batsman, but with a test average of 46.55 and his phenomenal 210 vs India in 86, he should at least be considered).


  5. #5
    U19 Captain
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    England.
    Posts
    607
    Quote Originally Posted by aussie tragic
    Please add Dean Jones to the Middle Order (I know there are three better batsman, but with a test average of 46.55 and his phenomenal 210 vs India in 86, he should at least be considered).
    Doesn't really matter seen as he won't make the final XI.

  6. #6
    International Debutant aussie tragic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    2,265
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleTheOne
    Doesn't really matter seen as he won't make the final XI.
    So by that logic we may as leave out Gower, Thorpe, Atherton, Stewart & Caddick as they wouldn't make a second XI

  7. #7
    Hall of Fame Member TT Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    .
    Posts
    16,568
    Quote Originally Posted by aussie tragic
    So by that logic we may as leave out Gower, Thorpe, Atherton, Stewart & Caddick as they wouldn't make a second XI
    Absolutely.

  8. #8
    U19 Captain
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    England.
    Posts
    607
    Quote Originally Posted by aussie tragic
    So by that logic we may as leave out Gower, Thorpe, Atherton, Stewart & Caddick as they wouldn't make a second XI
    Go for it.

    Edit: Although,

    Gower>>Jones.
    Last edited by UncleTheOne; 11-08-2006 at 10:14 AM.

  9. #9
    International Captain bagapath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    India
    Posts
    5,040
    Quote Originally Posted by aussie tragic
    Please add Dean Jones to the Middle Order (I know there are three better batsman, but with a test average of 46.55 and his phenomenal 210 vs India in 86, he should at least be considered).
    Ok. I have.

  10. #10
    International Debutant aussie tragic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    2,265
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleTheOne
    Go for it.

    Edit: Although,

    Gower>>Jones.
    Since it was that easy to get rid of so many English players, I agree that Gower should stay

  11. #11
    U19 Captain
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    England.
    Posts
    607
    Quote Originally Posted by aussie tragic
    Since it was that easy to get rid of so many English players, I agree that Gower should stay
    Sorry did I make the impression that this was a Australia - England thing?

  12. #12
    State Vice-Captain Sir Redman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    1,406
    Quote Originally Posted by bagapath
    1. Openers:

    Australia: Boon, Taylor, Slater, Hayden, Langer
    England: Gooch, Atherton, Vaughan, Trescothick, Strauss
    India: Gavaskar, Navjot Sidhu, Sehwag
    Pakistan: Anwar, Sohail
    New Zealand: Wright, Fleming
    South Africa: Gary Kirsten, Gibbs, Smith
    Sri Lanka: Jayasuriya, Attapattu
    West Indies: Haynes, Greenidge, Gayle

    2. Middle Order:

    Australia: Mark Waugh, Seve Waugh, Allan Border, Ricky Ponting, Damien Martyn, Adam Gilchrist, Dean Jones
    England: Gower, Thorpe
    India: Amarnath, Vengsarkar, Azharuddin, Tendulkar, Dravid, Laxman, Ganguly
    Pakistan: Miandad, Salim Malik, Inzamam, Mohammad Yousuf, Younis Khan
    New Zealand: Martin Crowe
    South Africa: Kallis, Cullinan
    Sri Lanka: De Silva, Jayawardane, Sangakkara
    Zimbabwe: Andy Flower
    West Indies: Richards, Lara, Chanderpaul

    3. All Rounders: Imran, Botham, Kapil, Hadlee, Cairns, Pollock, Kallis, Flintoff, Akram.

    4. Wicket Keepers: Healy, Gilchrist, Stewart, Russell, Mongia, Moin Khan, Latif, Ian Smith, Parore, Boucher,

    Sangakkara, Dujon, Jaobs, Andy Flower,

    5. Fast Bowlers:

    Australia: McDermott, Hughes, McGrath, Gillespie, Lee
    England: Botham, Gough, Caddick, Harmison, Hoggard, Flintoff
    India: Kapil Dev, Srinath
    Pakistan: Imran, Akram, Waqar, Akhthar
    New Zealand: Hadlee, Cairns, Bond (??)
    South Africa: Donald, Pollock, Ntini
    Sri Lanka: Vaas
    Zimbabwe: Streak
    West Indies: Marshall, Ambrose, Walsh, Bishop

    6. Spinners:

    Australia: Warne, McGill
    India: Kumble, Harbhajan
    Pakistan: Qadir, Mushtaq, Saqlain
    New Zealand: Vettori
    Sri Lanka: Muralitharan
    I'd scrub Fleming off that openers list and replace him with Richardson. If you want Fleming on the shortlist he should be as a middle order player, but I'd be tempted to take Andrew Jones over him anyway.
    He’s thrown a kettle over a pub, what have you done?

    - Gareth Keenan from "The Office"

    *****Winner***** of the 2006 FIFA World Cup predictions thread...see you in four years' time?

  13. #13
    International Captain bagapath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    India
    Posts
    5,040
    Added Richie Richardson to the Middle Order. Taken off Fleming from Openers.


    1. Openers:

    Australia: Boon, Taylor, Slater, Hayden, Langer
    England: Gooch, Atherton, Vaughan, Trescothick, Strauss
    India: Gavaskar, Navjot Sidhu, Sehwag
    Pakistan: Anwar, Sohail
    New Zealand: Wright
    South Africa: Gary Kirsten, Gibbs, Smith
    Sri Lanka: Jayasuriya, Attapattu
    West Indies: Haynes, Greenidge, Gayle

    2. Middle Order:

    Australia: Mark Waugh, Seve Waugh, Allan Border, Ricky Ponting, Damien Martyn, Adam Gilchrist, Dean Jones
    England: Gower, Thorpe
    India: Amarnath, Vengsarkar, Azharuddin, Tendulkar, Dravid, Laxman, Ganguly
    Pakistan: Miandad, Salim Malik, Inzamam, Mohammad Yousuf, Younis Khan
    New Zealand: Martin Crowe
    South Africa: Kallis, Cullinan
    Sri Lanka: De Silva, Jayawardane, Sangakkara
    Zimbabwe: Andy Flower
    West Indies: Richards, Richardson, Lara, Chanderpaul

    3. All Rounders: Imran, Botham, Kapil, Hadlee, Cairns, Pollock, Kallis, Flintoff, Akram.

    4. Wicket Keepers: Healy, Gilchrist, Stewart, Russell, Mongia, Moin Khan, Latif, Ian Smith, Parore, Boucher,

    Sangakkara, Dujon, Jaobs, Andy Flower,

    5. Fast Bowlers:

    Australia: McDermott, Hughes, McGrath, Gillespie, Lee
    England: Botham, Gough, Caddick, Harmison, Hoggard, Flintoff
    India: Kapil Dev, Srinath
    Pakistan: Imran, Akram, Waqar, Akhthar
    New Zealand: Hadlee, Cairns, Bond (??)
    South Africa: Donald, Pollock, Ntini
    Sri Lanka: Vaas
    Zimbabwe: Streak
    West Indies: Marshall, Ambrose, Walsh, Bishop

    6. Spinners:

    Australia: Warne, McGill
    India: Kumble, Harbhajan
    Pakistan: Qadir, Mushtaq, Saqlain
    New Zealand: Vettori
    Sri Lanka: Muralitharan

  14. #14
    International Debutant aussie tragic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    2,265
    Can I suggest a voting approach of first having each position shortlisted to 5 players, which are then voted on.

    e.g. First Opener: Shortlist votes may result in Sewag, Grennidge, Haynes, Haydon, Gavskar. When one has been selected, then the other 4 are included in the shortlisting vote process for second Opener (or maybe even # 3 as well).

    Just a thought...

  15. #15
    International Captain bagapath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    India
    Posts
    5,040
    Quote Originally Posted by aussie tragic
    Can I suggest a voting approach of first having each position shortlisted to 5 players, which are then voted on.

    e.g. First Opener: Shortlist votes may result in Sewag, Grennidge, Haynes, Haydon, Gavskar. When one has been selected, then the other 4 are included in the shortlisting vote process for second Opener (or maybe even # 3 as well).

    Just a thought...
    Thats one way to do it. We can keep one opener aggressive and another steady if thats what we want. Or we can go for a left right combinaiton. I prefer one attacking batsman and one solid anchorman to open the innings. If that is alright, we will go for the anchorman first and start with a shortlist of five to go to poll. We will also look up at the stats from 86 onwards. I think some big names like gavaskar, richards, imran, border, botham, kapil and miandad wont make it to this team.

Page 1 of 55 1231151 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Worst playing XI from a Test
    By LongHopCassidy in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 05-01-2007, 01:33 AM
  2. Best ODI and Test matches you've seen
    By Francis in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 03-02-2006, 04:03 PM
  3. England Are 2nd Best In Test Cricket
    By Shawn Badyk in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 10-07-2003, 08:52 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •