• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best up and coming talent

FBU

International Debutant
Billy Godleman
Jonathan Clare
David Brown
Gareth Cross
Oliver Newby
Robbie Williams
Andrew Hodd
Amjal Shahzad

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Only feel confident about Godleman of those TBH, though there's a couple I know little to nothing about in list.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Here I was thinking he had impressed you in a pie eating contest.

Would pay money to see him, Ryder and Ian Blackwell go mano e mano.
At least with Blackwell you know he's a talentless hack - it's a crying shame to see obviously high-class batsmen like Cosgrove and Ryder carry-on like this.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Don't blame you Rich, though Shahzad isn't too bad. ANd the bloke in bold, he's a singer isn't he?
Never been totally convinced about Shahzad TBH, has been around a fair few seasons now and hasn't done much yet.

I imagine there's also a cricketer Robbie Williams - the singer is a little old now.

gettingbetter

State Vice-Captain
Hasn't had the opportunities, been around for 3 or so years and played less than 15 FC games and less than 10 ODDs.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Not the best upcoming talent, but look out for these currently unknown Indians in a 3-5 year time frame:
A Rahane
M Gony
M Bahra
R Vinay Kumar
P Sangwan
V Kohli
R Jadeja
S Dhawan

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
At least with Blackwell you know he's a talentless hack - it's a crying shame to see obviously high-class batsmen like Cosgrove and Ryder carry-on like this.
Cosgrove's main problem is not his weight, though. It's that he's an over-rated flat-track bully who has always had minimal footwork. This may improve slightly if he dropped his weight down, but I've never seen anything of Cosgrove that said anything more to me than "He might be good if he works on his footwork and stops chasing wide ones".

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Guptill has some potential as an opener...hasn't shown much in FC yet though.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Cosgrove's main problem is not his weight, though. It's that he's an over-rated flat-track bully who has always had minimal footwork. This may improve slightly if he dropped his weight down, but I've never seen anything of Cosgrove that said anything more to me than "He might be good if he works on his footwork and stops chasing wide ones".
It tends to depend on mood though. At times, he looks great in defense, and when in form he knows his zones very well.

I know that the Vics try and bounce him all the time, and have had a fair bit of success in the longer form against him (not so much in OD stuff, from memory).

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well I'm no expert on him, at all, so I'll take your word for it - the point, though, is that Cosgrove's inability to control his weight has held him back, and he'd be so much better-off in so many respects if he could get a grip on it. As would Jesse Ryder.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Hasn't had the opportunities, been around for 3 or so years and played less than 15 FC games and less than 10 ODDs.
There's a reason for that. He ain't particularly good. The first British Asian to make his first-team debut for Yorkshire, and a hugely significant moment, yes. But like Elquemendo Willett - more significant than good.

Marius

International Debutant
Lonwabo Tsotsobe, left arm quick for the Warriors in SA looks pretty good. Wayne Parnell, also from the Warriors, and who captained SA in the U19 WC could also go places. Roelof van der Merwe from the Titans, spinning all rounder, has had a good season. Also, the Pakistani-born leg-spinner, Imran Tahir, also from the Titans could be someone to look out for in the future. I think he may be quite old now though, 28, 29.