• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Players who could play a bit more and the players who over-played...

FRAZ

International Captain
May be I am wrong but Richie Richardson and Waqar Younis had well over 2 good years in them (or may be 3,4) ..
Lara is right at the break-even point now . Its time for him, I am afraid. Kapil Dev over-played . Although great innings against England and "Holland" but Sanath its time for you to leave with respect .

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Tough call to make. I mean on the face of things players like Boycott, Sir Viv & Botham all went on past their respective peaks. However, if in their cricketing dotages they were all still better than any alternatives & want to keep going are they really wrong to do so? It may have a negative affect on their avearges but it also shows a big heart & an affection for the game.

I think Nick Knight retired too soon from ODIs; frankly we could do with him still. The architect & executioner of Bodyline (Jardine & Larwood) were both hurried into test-match retirement too soon, although in Larwood's case it is complicated by the foot injury he suffered in the 5th test.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Frankly, I expect this debate to turn explosive, given the kind of names that come up.

Most England ODI players could have played a little more, but they played very little ODI cricket until the mid-2000's. Unfortunately, they all start at a late age, and then run out of steam while playing in the national team, so it's difficult to tell whether they were overplayed or could have played more.

For India, I would say Kapil Dev and some spinners were the most overplayed, but Kaps was definitely the best all-rounder the country produced and was still in action, so it was understandable. Srinath could have played more, so could Raju Kulkarni but the idea of playing three spinners or maybe two (with an extra batsman) had left him on the bench very often. Kuruvilla had everything you needed in a fast bowler, but got called up too late and still was often sidelined for the likes of David Johnson, Prashant Vaidya and Dodda Ganesh, and of course, the token extra spinner at home. From the current generation Zaheer, JP Yadav and Bangar could have played a little more, while Agarkar is definitely overplayed.

New Zealand may have had one overplayed strike bowler for each generation– either Hadlee, or Cairns, then Bond, now Vettori.

Craig

World Traveller
Darren Gough?

A bowler I had a lot of time for when he was at his peak of his powers, but I think he went just a little bit further.

FRAZ

International Captain
Arjun said:
Frankly, I expect this debate to turn explosive, given the kind of names that come up.

Most England ODI players could have played a little more, but they played very little ODI cricket until the mid-2000's. Unfortunately, they all start at a late age, and then run out of steam while playing in the national team, so it's difficult to tell whether they were overplayed or could have played more.

For India, I would say Kapil Dev and some spinners were the most overplayed, but Kaps was definitely the best all-rounder the country produced and was still in action, so it was understandable. Srinath could have played more, so could Raju Kulkarni but the idea of playing three spinners or maybe two (with an extra batsman) had left him on the bench very often. Kuruvilla had everything you needed in a fast bowler, but got called up too late and still was often sidelined for the likes of David Johnson, Prashant Vaidya and Dodda Ganesh, and of course, the token extra spinner at home. From the current generation Zaheer, JP Yadav and Bangar could have played a little more, while Agarkar is definitely overplayed.

New Zealand may have had one overplayed strike bowler for each generation– either Hadlee, or Cairns, then Bond, now Vettori.
Intelligent reply . Although I have a great respect for Kapil but the gentleman did over-play . And actually this had been quite a problem in the 80's. Javed Miandad had some mental issues regarding "not quitting one day cricket" . Imran a true gentleman. Viv though over-played but still till the end he was required in the team . Hmmm Bond and Vettori (debateable). Danny Morrison =under played . Gratbatch & Jones = well over played .
Devilliers (South Africa) = under played

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Gatting & Gooch played well past their sell-by date, even before the 1994/95 Ashes tour. Fraser turned out to be past it by the 1998/99 Ashes, although that wasn't obvious in the series immediately beforehand. Willis should have retired after returning early from Pakistan in 1984 - his 3 tests against WI in the summer of that year were a sad way to finish. With hindsight, Botham should have retired after the 1986/7 Ashes.

Gower could & should have played more, especially the awful tour of India in 1992/93.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Craig said:
Darren Gough?

A bowler I had a lot of time for when he was at his peak of his powers, but I think he went just a little bit further.
In tests he wasn't very old at all when he called it a day. From memory it was 2003 so he was probably only 31/32.

&, when you see the dross we served up in our ODIs v Sri Lanka there is an argument that he could still do a better job for us now than Messers Plunkett, Mahmood or (dare I say it?) Harmison.

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
I'll put in a smokey - Graham Hick - underplayed. Too much chop and changed. Never really settled in the team. Some one with his first class record should have done better in tests and some of the blame must go to his mangement.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
BoyBrumby said:
In tests he wasn't very old at all when he called it a day. From memory it was 2003 so he was probably only 31/32.

&, when you see the dross we served up in our ODIs v Sri Lanka there is an argument that he could still do a better job for us now than Messers Plunkett, Mahmood or (dare I say it?) Harmison.
And maybe even better than Kabir Ali? I've had to do a complete U-Turn on Goughie & our oneday side. 2 months ago, I didn't want him near it and was sick of his very public whinging about being left out. Now, I can't see that there's any cricketing case at all for him not playing in the odi's against pakisatn and, in all probability, in the WC.

You could argue that his mate Caddick played too many tests, even allowing for his successful signing off in Sydney.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
mavric41 said:
I'll put in a smokey - Graham Hick - underplayed. Too much chop and changed. Never really settled in the team. Some one with his first class record should have done better in tests and some of the blame must go to his mangement.
He was certainly dropped & recalled too often. I was always of the opinion he'd have been better served if his career coincided with that of his fellow Zimbabwean Big Dunc, however I see a lot of similarities between Hick & Bell, temperament-wise (they both seem to exude a certain air of diffidence) & I have a sneaking suspicion Bell is probably going to end up with a similar number of droppings.

FRAZ

International Captain
Mark Taylor = a little under played .
Border = Over played
Ian Healey = over played
Aaqib Javed= under played (most under-rated bowler ever)
Ata-Ur-Rehman= Why did he play in the first place
Steve Waugh = :ph34r:
Moin Khan = over played

Craig

World Traveller
Neil McKenzie - under played
Robin Peterson - overplayed

And perhaps Stuart Law counts under played, although there was hardly a spot for him. You could say the same for Darren Lehmann.

Steulen

International Regular
I think nearly every single England player trying to get into the Test team in the '90's was underplayed, being discarded at will.

Dare I mention Tendulkar as a player who may be in the process of being overplayed? Hasn't done much in the last year or so but is still a certainty in the Indian team. :ph34r:

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Steulen said:
I think nearly every single England player trying to get into the Test team in the '90's was underplayed, being discarded at will.

Dare I mention Tendulkar as a player who may be in the process of being overplayed? Hasn't done much in the last year or so but is still a certainty in the Indian team. :ph34r:
It depends on how fit he is and how he performs. If he's still getting the job done, then he's played for just the right time. Moreover, he's still miles ahead of those on the bench and onoe in the playing XI.

Autobahn

State 12th Man
BoyBrumby said:
He was certainly dropped & recalled too often. I was always of the opinion he'd have been better served if his career coincided with that of his fellow Zimbabwean Big Dunc, however I see a lot of similarities between Hick & Bell, temperament-wise (they both seem to exude a certain air of diffidence) & I have a sneaking suspicion Bell is probably going to end up with a similar number of droppings.
But you could argue bell's droppings have more to do with the fact he doesn't fit into the current set-up rather than poor performances.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Autobahn said:
But you could argue bell's droppings have more to do with the fact he doesn't fit into the current set-up rather than poor performances.
That's what I was trying to do! :p

I think most reasonable judges of the sport would say Bell is a more talented batter than Collingwood, for example (his bowling's not too far off Colly's either), but Collingwood is definitely ahead of Bell now. Bell strikes me as (like Hick) a chap who would respond better to the carrot than the stick, but still seems frustratingly inconsistent.

I'm not advocating dropping Colly, BTW, who's a player I like an awful lot.

Steulen

International Regular
BoyBrumby said:
That's what I was trying to do! :p

I think most reasonable judges of the sport would say Bell is a more talented batter than Collingwood, for example (his bowling's not too far off Colly's either), but Collingwood is definitely ahead of Bell now. Bell strikes me as (like Hick) a chap who would respond better to the carrot than the stick, but still seems frustratingly inconsistent.

I'm not advocating dropping Colly, BTW, who's a player I like an awful lot.
Collingwood = German football player.