• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Indian domestic season 2006-07

adharcric

International Coach
Throw in the young Australia return Kshemal Waingankar and you've got a promising pace attack there. They won't have Powar, Agarkar or Tendulkar for the most part, but with Jaffer and Sharma at the top this Mumbai side could really go places.

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
adharcric said:
Throw in the young Australia return Kshemal Waingankar and you've got a promising pace attack there. They won't have Powar, Agarkar or Tendulkar for the most part, but with Jaffer and Sharma at the top this Mumbai side could really go places.
Which Sharma as we referring to here? Manish?

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
adharcric said:
Baroda's loss is Mumbai's gain. Baroda have lost Zaheer, his partner Rakesh Patel is ageing (and not growing any taller), Irfan may miss another season and the rest of that pace attack hardly looks threatening– they still keep playing bench players from the past. A lot will depend on their spinners Yusuf Pathan and Rajesh Pawar, both one-time India prospects, because there's little else in this lineup.

Mumbai, on the other hand, may have a turnaround season. With Bahutule gone and Powar likely to miss many matches, we may see them play a bowler less, which will make it difficult to take 20 wickets. Mumbai's success in the past has been on the back of their five-man (at times six) bowling unit complementing and supporting each other effectively. If they have to repeat that, we may see the likes of Abhishek Nair and Wilkin Mota in action more often. A four-prong seam attack is likely.

adharcric

International Coach
Really looking forward to these matches. The competition has gone up so much that the Challenger Trophy is actually very exciting this year. Watching the India Red pace trio of Sreesanth, Zaheer and VRV attack the India Blue lineup will be fun. Sreesanth and Zaheer are both deserving to be in the national side on the basis of talent, but if they can put on a show here it'll be great. For India Blue, Yuvraj, Dhoni and Pathan need to get going again in these matches.

Last edited:

Dravid

International Captain
The first game is about to start soon. I'm really excited about this tournament. Blue and Red are up first, and it doesn't seem like much competition for Blue. But it's a good chance for the Red players to prove them self against a really strong team.

adharcric

International Coach
Dravid said:
The first game is about to start soon. I'm really excited about this tournament. Blue and Red are up first, and it doesn't seem like much competition for Blue. But it's a good chance for the Red players to prove them self against a really strong team.
I think you just might get a pleasant surprise in terms of competition. Zaheer and Sreesanth will spearhead the Red attack along with Powar, and they have a talented, young top-order in Uthappa, Gambhir and Sharma. Of course, the Greens could also be a handful with guys like Ganguly, Laxman, Raina and Kaif packing the middle-order and a certain Ashish Nehra providing a surprise element.

Dravid

International Captain
I'm looking foward to see how Chawla does in this tournament. That kid has so much potential, and if he brings out his best in this tourmanet, hes going to end up making his spot in the team as that second spinner.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
On which channel will the match be broadcast and which channel(s) is showing it? Thanks in advance.

adharcric

International Coach
Dravid said:
I'm looking foward to see how Chawla does in this tournament. That kid has so much potential, and if he brings out his best in this tourmanet, hes going to end up making his spot in the team as that second spinner.
He won't make the national team yet because we already have an all-time great on the sidelines (Kumble), but he will make it big and I mean real big pretty soon. I'd back him to make the one-day side by the end of 2007 and make the test side as soon as Kumble calls it quits. Loads of potential with this kid, he is a very intelligent strike bowler with great variety and control and he's as good as a middle-order batsman.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
A new Nimbus channel called Neo TV will show these matches. I don't know if my cable-op will get it, but it's free, it's cricket and I'm sure all cable-ops and the channel will co-operate here.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
adharcric said:
I think you just might get a pleasant surprise in terms of competition. Zaheer and Sreesanth will spearhead the Red attack along with Powar, and they have a talented, young top-order in Uthappa, Gambhir and Sharma. Of course, the Greens could also be a handful with guys like Ganguly, Laxman, Raina and Kaif packing the middle-order and a certain Ashish Nehra providing a surprise element.
A bowling attack of Zaheer, VR Singh, Sreesanth, Powar and stock spinner TP Singh may be just right for Red, but if they play a bowler less, they'll have trouble bowling Blue out. If they play all three spinners, they'll have batting till nine, but they don't need three spinners. The batting looks reasonably strong, but this is limited-overs cricket, and it's anybody's guess who the weak link is here. It's a pity Gautam Gambhir was dropped from both the Test and ODI teams, though he was good enough to open in both, unlike any of the recent Test/ODI openers for India. He has a point to prove. The player to watch, however, will be Zaheer Khan. He's one bowler whose experience actually counts, and he's got more value as a bowler. His fielding, though, is another story.

adharcric

International Coach
VVS Laxman's one-day career is officially over

Laxman has pulled out of the Challenger Trophy with a hamstring injury. It is really sad to see this happen to a batsman of Laxman's class as this would have been his best and final chance to stage any sort of a comeback to the one-day side. This essentially signals the end of Laxman's one-day hopes. His India Green teammate Mohammad Kaif also reported ill earlier but apparently he'll be fit. Interestingly, a 14th member has been named to both India Blue and India Red but India Green are now a 12-man squad. The added players also seem useless: both seem like substandard options that were picked at the last minute simply because they are from around Chennai. (Satish and Vasudevadas - huh?)

adharcric

International Coach
Perfect XIs selected in the first match. Pathan has had a decent start and his two scalps may have helped him get going. Munaf really looked out of it early on with beamers and no-balls, but he finally settled down with a maiden, only to be taken off the attack by genius RD, who dropped one at second slip. Gambhir has looked quite composed, which is a good sign for a talented batsman who was dropped for his inability to restrain his reckless strokeplay.

Last edited:

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
adharcric said:
Perfect XIs selected in the first match. Pathan has had a decent start and his two scalps may have helped him get going. Munaf really looked out of it early on with beamers and no-balls, but he finally settled down with a maiden, only to be taken off the attack by genius RD, who dropped one at second slip. Gambhir has looked quite composed, which is a good sign for a talented batsman who was dropped for his inability to restrain his reckless strokeplay.
If that's what you're seeing, then you're ahead of CricInfo. Scratch, cable-ops are not showing Neo TV!

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
adharcric said:
Satish and Vasudevadas, huh?
Of the last two names, Satish is a middle-order batsman who was once with Assam. Interestingly, he's also a stock medium-pacer. I don't know about Vasudevadas, he's also an ex-Assam (or Tripura?) player, maybe spinner.

Last edited:

adharcric

International Coach
Arjun said:
If that's what you're seeing, then you're ahead of CricInfo. Scratch, cable-ops are not showing Neo TV!
yeah cricinfo's going quite slowly for this match ...

adharcric

International Coach
Arjun said:
Of the last two names, Satish is a middle-order batsman who was once with Assam. Interestingly, he's also a stock medium-pacer. I don't know about Vasudevadas, he's also an ex-Assam (or Tripura?) player, maybe spinner.
I've heard of Satish before as well, but that doesn't mean he should be in the Challenger Trophy. Absolutely undeserving of a spot among players of this caliber. If they wanted somebody from TN, they could've taken Vidyut or Sriram instead. Anyways, it's not a big deal as they won't even get a match. I'll shut up now. :)