• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Have you ever hit the winning runs?

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
i am an opener so haven't had too many oppurtunities, but once i did hit them in a club second eleven game ;) four of tha last bowl, over cover one bounce fantastic shot :)

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Once. My first ball, wild swing at ball outside off, edge past keeper and slip for a single.

Last ball of House Cricket Match, 1999.

Well I think they were the winning runs, the state that the scorebook was in you couldn't tell...

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
I've done it a few times. Once we need one to win and I was on 96 so I wanted to hit a four. I only managed 3 though so was left on 99 not out. It is a good feeling though.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
No, you needed to score 1 to win, so when you scored the 1, the game was over unless the ball went over the boundary, which you stated that it didn't.

96 + 1 = 97, so you ended on 97 I'm afraid!

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
i thought that was a new rule, well not new but only in the last couple of seasons.
as good as scoring 99 sounds to be not out would be a killer, my highest was 90 and i was caught on the boundary.
and yes i have hit the winning runs in a match, we were chasing 87 to win in the 2nd innings, we had 45 minutes to do it, i made 59(29)*, i was the only player to make double figures and hit hit the winning runs with a 4 past cover.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
i have done it a few times for club, the most memorable was when i was in a team where we only had 3 people that could bat at all and we were chasing 187, our openers went in and got out quickly as usual, and we were like 2 for 35, i batted myself in slowly and just hit singles and the guy down the other end (who was our best batsman) smashed the oposing attack apart making 55 in no time at all before being caught on the Square leg boundary. our other good bat came in and continued the assult makinge 38* my innings held the team together by holding one end up and scoring runs, i won the game by smashing their opening bowler (who averaged 6.8 that year) for 4 over point - that was one of 2 games that the team won that year

Slats4eva also won a game this year by hitting a 4 off the last ball

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
Originally posted by marc71178
No, you needed to score 1 to win, so when you scored the 1, the game was over unless the ball went over the boundary, which you stated that it didn't.

96 + 1 = 97, so you ended on 97 I'm afraid!
we ran three though because when I realised it wasn't going to the boundry we ran to see if we could get the four runs.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Unfortunately it was dead ball after 1 as it didn't go for 4!

Could've been worse, you could have been on 98, ran one to win, and be left with a career best of 99*!

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah but I suppose he's been put down in the score book as 99* so let the boy have it ;)

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Not hit the winning runs per se but I won a game for my team once.

They only needed 5 to win with 4 wickets in hand and the over went something like this:

3 . W W W W

All bowled. :D

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
I have been in a position like that too. We were 150/4 chasing 160 to win and within 2 overs we had lost the 6 wickets and only added 5 runs.

As for it being a dead ball after 1.. Obviously the umpires or scorers didn't know that because I just looked up the book again and in had 99no.. I also saw that I have been stuck not out in the 90's 4 times and out in the 90's twice. Only got past 100 once.

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
I am playing my first year in the Senior womens a competion in Christchurch. Club is call 'Lancaster Park-Woolsten'. I aslo play under 17 reps for South canterbury and last season made the south island tournament team that played in a national tournament in Palmeston North.