• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Unofficial* New Zealand Black Caps Thread

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I think Southee will be arranged to focus on Tests especially if Henry has finally nailed his position which he was suppose to do 2 years ago.

Does Will Young keep?

Seifert probably will play a Baz role so probably better for the knees for him to keep than Latham who bats long in the middle or tests =P
Nope. Nicholls does though, and was considered as a possible option if Latham didn't come good for 2019.

Seifert I think should be given a decent run as a keeper bat now that the World Cup is behind us. If his keeping continues to **** the bed, then we can always shift back to Latham or Phillips.

Last edited:

thundaboult

International Debutant
Anderson has had a horrendous time with injuries, which really isn't at all unusual for him. Apart from that little gap between the 2013/14 and the 2015/16 seasons he's never been able to consistently stay on the paddock for long. And yeah, he's had some problems with weight which isn't that surprising given how much time he's spent out of the game in the past few years. Still an immensely talented player and one who could definitely make a difference in 2023 IF he's able to stay fit. Hopefully he can look to Jimmy's remarkable career turnaround for some inspiration, as he's the most talented natural ball-striker in the country. Could you imagine if an in-form Anderson had faced up to that last ball from Archer? It'd still be coming down.
We now have two quality all rounders who have performed in clutch moments at their respective WC outings. Tell you what, makings of a powerful NZ side in the near future...that's for sure.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
And fisher? Just checked his cricinfo profile, no matches played other than the u19 wc ones last year. I guess they just haven't updated it. Or has just stopped playing or something....

Hasn't played for any teams other than the nz u19's. I have heard that he's played for waikoto valley
Contracted again for the new season last week.

https://ndcricket.co.nz/news/Northern-Districts-names-2019-20-contracted-players

Fisher was a star of the Under-19 World Cup in New Zealand two summers ago with his strong performances earning him a Northern Districts contract for 2018-19.

Unfortunately injury prevented him from making any appearances for ND last season, but there is no question over the potential Fisher has, or the quality he currently possesses, and he will be looking to break into the ND XI this season.

Moss

International Vice-Captain
and to be fair I almost threw up when Hussan said Eng deserved to win the cup seconds after they won. F***. more like Eng had all the luck to win the cup
Hussain, KP and Vaughan had all stressed repeatedly they saw England as absolute favourites so they were hardly going to backtrack. For what it's worth the feeling in India is NZ were robbed - even accounting for the anyone-but-England mentality here there's a good amount of respect for how NZ went about thise last 2 games.

thundaboult

International Debutant
Hussain, KP and Vaughan had all stressed repeatedly they saw England as absolute favourites so they were hardly going to backtrack. For what it's worth the feeling in India is NZ were robbed - even accounting for the anyone-but-England mentality here there's a good amount of respect for how NZ went about thise last 2 games.
People from all countries except england are expressing that same opinion on all social media platforms. That is the only peace I can find in this situation. Just not satisfied with how it ended yesterday, if they deserve to win, beat us convincingly.

TheBrand

First Class Debutant
Is everyone writing off Guptill for 2023? He'll be 36 and there's not too many ODI's really until the 18 months before that, and given he doesn't play tests now, I'm sure that could be his swansong. Ross Taylor on the other hand I'm not sure about.

Would like to Seifert/Phillips at the top of the order with Guptill in the next season or so. Move Nicholls down at 5 to replace Latham and have Seifert/Phillips really work on their keeping. I would argue that Seifert is a better batt but Phillips is a better keeper.

Moss

Is everyone writing off Guptill for 2023? He'll be 36 and there's not too many ODI's really until the 18 months before that, and given he doesn't play tests now, I'm sure that could be his swansong. Ross Taylor on the other hand I'm not sure about.

Would like to Seifert/Phillips at the top of the order with Guptill in the next season or so. Move Nicholls down at 5 to replace Latham and have Seifert/Phillips really work on their keeping. I would argue that Seifert is a better batt but Phillips is a better keeper.
I would hope he's still got 4 years left in him, he's still one of the top 3 ODI bats in the country and is a class act. NZ played relatively little ODI cricket between the 2017 Champions trophy and the World Cup and that may have left him a little undercooked, I don't know. Don't think there are any opening bats absolutely demanding selection so I'm on board with Seifert and Guptill being our openers going forward.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I really liked the cut of Nicholls' jib. He'd be a handy opening partner for a more aggressive opener, and I could really see him playing an anchor role in ODIs. Especially valuable in tougher batting conditions.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I really liked the cut of Nicholls' jib. He'd be a handy opening partner for a more aggressive opener, and I could really see him playing an anchor role in ODIs. Especially valuable in tougher batting conditions.
I think he's ideally an anchoring #3 or #4 rather than an opener. Taylor will probably retire from ODIs now or at least pretty soon; should give him that slot instead IMO.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Yeah Nicholls is absolutely going to be the Taylor cover IMO. As good a replacement for the Boss as you could hope for really.

Moss

Still a lot of cricket to be played in 2019 including a season-defining Australia tour, but is this New Zealand's best ever decade in cricket? The 2010-12 phase, Colombo, Hobart and a WC semifinal aside, was not a good time to be a NZ supporter for on and off field reasons but how things have changed since 45 all out. Helped no doubt by arrival of Williamson and Boult (much like Hadlee and Crowe in the 70s/80s), plus finding guys like Nicholls and Wagner along the way. There was also a decent amount of international cricket for NZ on the calendar which allowed Taylor, Watling, Guptill, Southee and others to take their game to the next level.

The 2000's under Fleming were decent but riddled with injuries to key players and the side wasn't winning a lot in tests anyway. The 1980's would probably come close but NZ's two world cups in that decade were pretty underwhelming.

Greenlite

U19 Debutant

Guppy could do a Macca or Jimmy or Elliot of some sort, have a lean period and come back later and become an absolute gun (again for him)

But I would like to see competition for these positions that’s the only way to generate the best results in those positions, we basically had no in form openers, at all this year. Nips was there to help out, like Matt Horn.

Guppy, Young, Seifert, Ravindra, fight for 2 positions.

Someone said we need a closer, and I think that person needs to have power (Neesham), will have so much experience in another 4 years (Neesham), has the nerves to close games (Neesham esp bowling).

=P so I think maybe Neesh and Anderson can be trained to close games for the next few years, Nichols actually has the shots and power to close games now showing he has the big game temperament, but he might bat at 4-5 so might not see out the end, but he could still be an Elliot/McCca type player. It’d be pretty cool if we have in form Nips, Neesham and Anderson to close out games

Just need to keep the health of those guys, One of the openers above could be a closer if they wanna train them, but I think they need more experience and we don’t know how their nerves are.

Santa looks more like a support player in the last 10 and can hurt the opposition in the last 1-2 overs but not as the main striker, even if he finds the form vs Eng last summer.

And Blundell should be trialled opening or in the middle order as well, he did all he could without having a shot, more options for the batting department. We actually could have depth and a healthy squad this time, fingers crossed.

Howsie

International Captain
Yeah, Josh Clarkson will be a superstar. His bowling will never reach the level it maybe looked like hitting two years ago but damn the kid has some serious batting ability

Flem274*

123/5
i want to be wrong but im not sure about an eye and confidence reliant batsman like guptill going to the subcontinent in his mid 30s. i hope he makes it too. same with colin de grandhomme.

as the resident first nicholls believer, i think he's not quite the right fit for an odi opener. if he plays odis long term it will be at #4 or #5 like he will in tests.

i fear for captain first 30 overs swing matt henry too.

latham could be very handy in the subcontinent.

there are a couple of punts i'll take below tho

conservatively i will go with..

martin guptill
rachin ravindra (5)
kane williamson (c)
ross taylor
tom latham (wk)
jimmy neesham (6)
nathan smith
mitchell santner
matt henry
lockie ferguson
trent boult

will young
i really have no idea who keeps
ish sodhi
blair tickner

realistically any of seifert, nicholls, kugglejuggle and the like could be there. 4 years is plenty of time for someone to surge through and others to fade away. see the trajectories of southee, anderson, milne, cdg and ferguson.

Greenlite

U19 Debutant
And Nips is the best candidate to replace Taylor now, been in the side for 4-5 years, moderate experience, big game temperament, has shown so much growth in the last year or two, still youngish, and can play spin, with care and development he can lock that 4-5 position.

As long as he doesn’t need to keep lol

Howsie

International Captain
Very early and rough guess for 2023

1. Rachin Ravindra
2. Martin Guptill
3. Kane Williamson
4. Will Young
5. Henry Nicholls
6. Josh Clarkson
7. Tim Seifert
8. Mitchell Santner
9. Scott Kuggeleijn
10. Lockie Ferguson
11. Trent Boult

Rachin’s development will be the key, I think he should be taken on every NZ SC tour starting with the Sri Lankan tour in a few months.

Greenlite

U19 Debutant
i want to be wrong but im not sure about an eye and confidence reliant batsman like guptill going to the subcontinent in his mid 30s. i hope he makes it too. same with colin de grandhomme.

as the resident first nicholls believer, i think he's not quite the right fit for an odi opener. if he plays odis long term it will be at #4 or #5 like he will in tests.

i fear for captain first 30 overs swing matt henry too.

latham could be very handy in the subcontinent.

there are a couple of punts i'll take below tho

conservatively i will go with..

martin guptill
rachin ravindra (5)
kane williamson (c)
ross taylor
tom latham (wk)
jimmy neesham (6)
nathan smith
mitchell santner
matt henry
lockie ferguson
trent boult

will young
i really have no idea who keeps
ish sodhi
blair tickner

realistically any of seifert, nicholls, kugglejuggle and the like could be there. 4 years is plenty of time for someone to surge through and others to fade away. see the trajectories of southee, anderson, milne, cdg and ferguson.
Blundell will hit two double centuries in the warm ups and sit on the bench for the entire tournament in 2023, mr consistent