• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Unofficial* New Zealand Black Caps Thread

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
Prithvi Shaw pumping it today in the warm up game, not it on 150. Likely to get a double with 16 more overs to go.

nzfan

Looks like I jinxed him. Not bad for someone that's been injured for a while and to make a come back such as this. Sure it's a practice game but to just get in the country and straight away score a massive one is amazing.

Unfortunately there's no spot for him in the India side. Can't see that coming any time soon.

Flem274*

123/5
i see the clarkson thing from both the howsie and kippax sides here. i don't think it's egregious to give him the 763rd to 768th jam t20 to see if he's the real deal or a spud, but equally he's deservedly behind a lot of power hitting talent and he doesn't appear to bowl anymore. nz is rich in options atm for his position.

if he takes the bbl cash this early instead of consolidate his spot for central in all 3 formats then im fine with that. i can understand taking the financial security instead of risking it with historically fickle selectors and his injury record, but equally i look at the passion wagner shows daily and phillips had when he couldn't win that random domestic game for auckland and i like it.

i understand not everyone wears their heart on their sleeve like wags does but it's good for the game here to see some fire instead of 'ooooh we hope we can compete with the mighty >insert chad team here< we try soooo hard'.

jcas0167

International Debutant
Are the boundaries at Bert Sutcliffe Oval tiny? Just looking at Clarkson's six against India A today. It is just a wristy jab.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
i see the clarkson thing from both the howsie and kippax sides here. i don't think it's egregious to give him the 763rd to 768th jam t20 to see if he's the real deal or a spud, but equally he's deservedly behind a lot of power hitting talent and he doesn't appear to bowl anymore. nz is rich in options atm for his position.
Don't partially defer to the culturally dominant knuckle-draggers on this one, Phlegm. There is only one correct way to see someone who isn't thrilled to see Chapman come on to bowl to him late in a T20.

Flem274*

123/5
that's not great viewing against anti-cricket trash spin, but promising for chapman given anti-cricket trash spin works all the time in odis and t20

mitchell has good figures in the kids v india A game which is promising for his 'next grant elliott' potential. sean solia also didn't get entirely smashed in his audition as the outsider to be the next elliott.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Mitchell is in the side for the T20Is right? Really think NZ should rest KW and some of the other main players for ODI series. It is absolutely meaningless and can be used to give a well deserved week off for the guys who play all formats for both sides.

nzfan

Yes something came up to make him far less keen on it (either an injury or just being very ordinary after he lost his lean teenager's movement). 73 overs of bowling in the first half of the club season in Darwin last winter, eight overs in the second half.
MyCricket - JOSH CLARKSON
Half a dozen stress facture in the back mate. He was in fact 140+ ticks when free years younger.

nzfan

Are the boundaries at Bert Sutcliffe Oval tiny? Just looking at Clarkson's six against India A today. It is just a wristy jab.
There are games scheduled for serious ie NZ A games at Lincoln. They can't use the center pitch so will be using one on the far end, the boundaries will be like 40 or 50 meters one end.

Flem274*

123/5
yea i remember clarkson bowling early on and he looked quite promising. without the bowling though he'll be challenged to break out of the corey anderson prison on batting alone.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
While never exactly hyped for the T20I leg I think the selectors vomited up approximately the right multicoloured mix for the two squads total - no glaring omissions (though how could you fail to when you're selecting 28 players and 9 more possibles are injured?).

Phillips and Neesham should be in the main squad though (Neesham missing out to no fewer than three other pace-bowling all-rounders), while Bruce is the most obviously lucky one to be there.

Pleased for Bennett - no particular expectations but he's been great domestically across all formats the last few seasons. Yeah he's another medium pacer and they don't tend to enjoy T20s, but he has enough variations (and requisite mention of awkward and confusing bowling action) that there's some small hope imo.

Last edited:

nzfan

While never exactly hyped for the T20I leg I think the selectors vomited up approximately the right multicoloured mix for the two squads total - no glaring omissions (though how could you fail to when you're selecting 28 players and 9 more possibles are injured?).

Phillips and Neesham should be in the main squad though (Neesham missing out to no fewer than three other pace-bowling all-rounders), while Bruce is the most obviously lucky one to be there.

Pleased for Bennett - no particular expectations but he's been great domestically across all formats the last few seasons. Yeah he's another medium pacer and they don't tend to enjoy T20s, but he has enough variations (and requisite mention of awkward and confusing bowling action) that there's some small hope imo.
It's going to be pretty boring these T20s. It'll be a run fest with stamp sized grounds. Jimmy missing out is a puzzle. He did really well against England only recently. Pretty much will be watching this for Bennett, Kane and Rosco.

thundaboult

International Debutant
It's going to be pretty boring these T20s. It'll be a run fest with stamp sized grounds. Jimmy missing out is a puzzle. He did really well against England only recently. Pretty much will be watching this for Bennett, Kane and Rosco.
Bennett has a bit of pace and bounce. Neesham is injured. Probably saving him for the India ODIS, AUS T20's & ODI's.

Chewie

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/28544566/open-helps-team-kane-williamson-captaincy-shuffle

Kane Williamson is open to the possibility of playing under another captain if it results in the betterment of New Zealand cricket. However, he also said he has been enjoying the captaincy across formats.

"For me it's always been about what's best for the team," Williamson said. "If those discussions [about captaincy changes] are to eventuate and collectively there's a thought that it would be best for the team, then my stance is whatever is right and fits the group."