Page 11 of 41 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: *** un-Official - New Zealand Black Caps Thread ***

He has had a good season, after a shocking slump that lasted about 2 years he is making good runs for Auckland at the moment.

Hall of Fame Member NZTailender's Avatar
    Hopefully he can continue that form until NZ's next test series. I would replace How with McIntosh at the moment.
    President of SKAS - Kat is King | Proud member of CVAAS - One of the best | LRPLTAS - Rosco rocks!
    The NZTailender Supporting XI:
    H Rutherford, T Latham, N Broom, M Bracewell, D Brownlie, BJ Watling, D de Boorder+, M Henry, B Wheeler, H Bennett, A Milne
    Go Tigers!
    R.I.P. Fardin & Craig

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    I was thinking about digging this thread up. Anyway I would make Jamie How go back to the State Championship unless he can score a century in the current game, he needs to work on his batting and get a lot more runs under his belt before getting a permanent spot in the Test side. McIntosh has had a reasonably good year, couple of decent scores but I doubt we'll see him due to the inconsisent nature of his, and the Auckland batting.

Somebody I can see as an opener for the Black Caps next November is Todd Astle. He has been doing a fairly good job for Canterbury and his bowling is an added bonus, since Nathan Astle and maybe Scott Styris would be retiring after the World Cup. However he needs to score more runs for Canterbury in FC cricket but I can see him in the Black Caps in the future.
    The Future of International Cricket - Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina, Ravi Bopara, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Shahriar Nafees, Raqibul Hasan, Salman Butt, JP Duminy
    Proud Supporter of the Bangladeshi Tigers
    Ryan ten Doeschate - A Legend in the Making
    MSN: zacattack90@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Romance can be dealt with elsewhere - I just don't enjoy it in cricket.

JF.
    Justin Langer was a middle order player[/QUOTE]

He was? Err I don't think so. He's always been a top order batsman. Made his debut as a No 3 against the then powerful Windies back in 92/93
    Last edited by JF.; 16-12-2006 at 07:26 PM.

I think what they meant was that Langer hasn't always been an opener.

Quote Originally Posted by JF.
    Justin Langer was a middle order player
    He was? Err I don't think so. He's always been a top order batsman. Made his debut as a No 3 against the then powerful Windies back in 92/93[/QUOTE]

Yeah I know. I said middle order but I just meant he wasnt an opener. Top order is a swear word in NZ cricket so we call batsmen either middle order players, or the "O" word.

By the way. I just read that Oram and Styris are both expected to not be fit for the one dayers and 20/20. so that leaves two spots in the batting line up, and since both bowl a little bit, I'd suggest at least one of the replacements has to be able to bowl, We have to make up 10 overs from somewhere.

Also Fulton and Marshall were the incumbents from the Champions trophy in India but both are suspect selections. So This one day series will be very interesting in terms of NZ selections

Ross Taylor has had a good year (although only one good score), averaging 66 in first class cricket, and I think he must be chosen.

So, my next preference would be Jesse Ryder because he regularly bowls for Wellington and I cant think of anyone else.. Maybe McMillan??. Id also drag back Vincent as a middle order player.

Ryder
    Astle
    Taylor
    Fleming
    Vincent
    McMillan
    McCullum
    Vettori
    Franklin
    Bond
    Gillespie

1st Twenty20 Team

1. Brendon McCullum (wk)
    2. Stephen Fleming (c)
    3. Nathan Astle
    4. Craig McMillan
    5. Lou Vincent
    6. Ross Taylor
    7. Daniel Vettori
    8. Andre Adams
    9. James Franklin
    10. Jeetan Patel
    11. Mark Gillespie

Good idea to bring McMillan back into the fold for the Twenty20's, see if he can offer the ODI side anything and he has been playing quite well for Canterbury. Astle, Fleming basically pick themselves and I've gone with McCullum to open the batting because he could be a chance in the ODI series. Vincent and Taylor get in their over Fulton and Marshall because of their hitting ability. Patel and Vettori to bowl in tandem, it will happen in the ODI's. Bond should be rested which gives us a good reason to try out Mark Gillespie, Andre Adams and James Franklin as our seam bowlers.

JF.
    "Yeah I know. I said middle order but I just meant he wasnt an opener. Top order is a swear word in NZ cricket so we call batsmen either middle order players, or the "O" word."

Fair enough.

Well JL has batted quite a bit at No 3 for Western Australia I think. So if you mean top order (sorry for swearing ;-p) then you are right.

Hall of Fame Member NZTailender's Avatar
    From that squad I'd have:

1. B McCullum
    2. N Astle
    3. R Taylor
    4. S Fleming
    5. P Fulton
    6. P McGlashan (wk)
    7. J Marshall
    8. A Adams
    9. S Bond/J Franklin
    10. M Gillespie
    11. J Patel

Bond is only playing one match from what I can gather, and being replaced by Mason. However, I'd play Franklin in the second game to give him some more experience in hoping he'll improve in the shorter form of the game...
    Last edited by NZTailender; 17-12-2006 at 12:55 AM.

James Marshall???????!!!!!!. Was that a typo?.

I suppose 20/20 doesnt matter that much, it might be just a chance to stick some other guys in and give them a bit of experience against international bowlers and batsmen but........ some of those selections are strange..Glad Mark Gillespie is going to get a go.

Marshall is a waste of space, he won't bat up the order because that is full with Fleming, Astle, McCullum and Taylor and he can't really bat much lower because he doesn't have the hitting capabilities.

I have come to the conclusion that Bracewell suffers from some sort of mental illness and these selections are a cry for help. Let us be supportive in his time of need.

He must be reassuring those of us still not convinced of the value of Twenty20 that he does not take the matches seriously.

Hoping for a less ridiculous ODI squad.

JF.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt52
    I have come to the conclusion that Bracewell suffers from some sort of mental illness and these selections are a cry for help. Let us be supportive in his time of need.

Page 11 of 41 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread Information