Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Newsflash: Hayden is arrogent

International Coach Barney Rubble's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheEpic
    Spot on actually. One of the few cricketers I really dislike, not so much as a batsman, but as an allround professional and man. He's arrogant, pompous and looks like a chimp.
    Yep, my feelings exactly. And at the chimp part.

still scratching around in the same old hole
    Do not really see anything wrong with what he said.

To be good athletes need a thick skin and a positive attitude. The weak minded are left behind way before reaching the levels Hayden has.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there will be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

International Coach Barney Rubble's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Goughy
    Do not really see anything wrong with what he said.

To be good athletes need a thick skin and a positive attitude. The weak minded are left behind way before reaching the levels Hayden has.
    You can be strong-minded and positive without being stuck up your own a***.

Cricket Web Staff Member luckyeddie's Avatar
    Target Champion! Stuarts Xtreme Skateboarding Champion!
    I think it's excellent to know that Hayden (and no doubt others in the Australian team) continue to kid themselves that the reason they lost the Ashes is that they under-performed.

Don't bother working on that technique, Matty. You were just unlucky.
    Nigel Clough's Black and White Army, beating Forest away with 10 men

Stranger leering through a pair of binoculars
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyeddie
    I think it's excellent to know that Hayden (and no doubt others in the Australian team) continue to kid themselves that the reason they lost the Ashes is that they under-performed.

Don't bother working on that technique, Matty. You were just unlucky.
    Hell Yeah
    Don't go chasing waterfalls

Its a little weird reading all of you saying these things about my hero, but now that I think of it I would also dislike him were I not Australian. I dont like Grahame Smith because of his arrogance, so if I was SAfrican I would assume that I would love Smith for being strong and not taking any crap and I would hate Hayden. Though its still a strange feeling reading all this stuff. I hope he shows England by churning out runs in the manner he has been known to do.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    I read the article yesterday and I didn't really think he was being arrogant. He was just being honest and saying what most of the Aussie players probably felt; namely, that they didn't play their best and they hadn't prepared for it as much as they had for the Indian tour. Good interview for mine.
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Only a bunch of convicts having been beaten 3-0 and gone 9 tests without a win and won just 1 in 11 against England could go into the home series saying they will win. England will win in Australia again this winter as they are a better side which they have shown this summer. 3-0 doesn't lie girls.

Don't really have a problem with the interview - being supremely confident is part of Hayden's makeup, and part of what makes him an outstanding player. It would concern me, however, if the Australian team do actually believe that the only reason they lost the Ashes was because they were down on form. Whilst that is true, that they were down on form had more to do with the opposition bowling lineup than anything that Australia could control.

Good article. Nothing wrong with self-confidence. Of course Australia believe they are better than England. If they didn't then they would be in big trouble.

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
    He seems Honest than Arrogant

Infact, each and everything he said was correct
    ________

Regards,

Salil Benegal

State Vice-Captain
    Here's why I found them arrogent...

"Our Ashes were India in 2004-05."

There was a massive build-up between the countries months prior to the Ashes. I've read ratings in Australia were massive and greater than usual. India was a year ago when they happened and I remember the Channel Nine commentary team talking about the Ashes in advance. In other words, it was a big deal and their Ashes were the Ashes.

"What went right? Nothing really..."

Yeah this is kind of true. Aside from Warne nothing went wrong after the 1st test so I'll let that one go.

"We let them back in."

The only way England were let back in during the second test was when Ponting stuffed up the toss, which Hayden defended. Losing McGrath of course was the biggest reason Australia lost the Ashes, but that had nothing to do with letting them back in. In fact England got off to a great start and were ahead the whole test until Warne got 6-40odd and the game looked even. Flintoff made a great partnership was Jones that took the game away from Australia and it was a brilliant tail effort that nearly got them there. But England were ahead the whole time.

"England are a very good team but Australia are better."

He meant if they performed the way they could then they would have won the Ashes. And yes that's true if I'm honest, but the point is they didn't play they way they can so no excuses. They could've played great but they collapsed and Warne had to carry them.

"Freddie Flintoff had an enormous series. I think he carries England and that is a big responsibility. "

Kevin Pietersen is right, Warne carried Australia more than Freddie did. England had brilliant contributions from Jones, Pietersen and Tresco... Tresco got badly underrated in that series. Flintoff was more of the man for the hour. When England needed more runs in the 2nd test, he made a 50 run partnership with Jones where he faced all the Warne deliveries and killed the rest of the attack. In the 5th test when Australia were going well, he took 7 wickets in a session. When England needed to break a partnership, he was the man to take wickets.

Flintoff impacted at the right times and sadly at time goes on, people wont understand how, when the pressure was on, Freddie was the man for the hour.

"It was a good reminder for Australia to keep our standards, keep our levels."

This was worst of all. Like losing the Ashes isn't a big deal. It was the crown jewell in the Australian heirachy (spelling I know) and I'd be willing to bet that's the one trophy Aussies would want. Insted Hayden's phobbing it off as just a reminder to play well. Yep it was just a reminder for people to call for Ponting's captaincy, it was just a reminder of how poor the middle order has become, it was just a reminder... oh I stop.

The Ashes was a big deal for both countries. I know some Aussies and losing them hurt them, oh it did hurt them.

I believe this interview is kind of old news as I read in the local paper about a week or two before this article was published on cricinfo.

He is right about Flintoff and England.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

Cricket Champion!
    Don't see anything so much wrong with it. He's confident, but I wouldn't say arrogant. Bluntly honest with his opinion. Even though winning the Ashes is a grand prize. The vigor involved in the series had dissolved quite a bit before last year. Defeating England pretty easily for so many years...

...just like we'll start to do again back here in a few months time (looks at Eddie) .

Cricket Web Staff Member luckyeddie's Avatar
    Target Champion! Stuarts Xtreme Skateboarding Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by KaZoH0lic
    Don't see anything so much wrong with it. He's confident, but I wouldn't say arrogant. Bluntly honest with his opinion. Even though winning the Ashes is a grand prize. The vigor involved in the series had dissolved quite a bit before last year. Defeating England pretty easily for so many years...

...just like we'll start to do again back here in a few months time (looks at Eddie) .
    You're perfectly entitled to hold such an opinion - I only hope that you share it with the entire Australian squad.

I think strongly backing himself is a big part of his game - he enjoys and feeds of the feeling of having the upper hand over his opposition. Part of this is probably a degree of arrogance. If so, it is the same arrogance which various champions have had - Mohammad Ali, Viv Richards, The Rock (not really, but ), etc. I'm not putting Hayden in the same class as Ali or Richards, but the mental attitude is a part of being a consistent winner.

I think there's also an element of Hayden not simply being brutally honest for its own sake, but trying to twist England's tail - a position McGrath and Warne normally own, but which Matty has made great strides in I'm reading Gideon Haigh's 'A Fair Field and No Favour' at the moment (great book by the way IMO) and his comment on the psych war Australia normally initiates with England was interesting. He put it down to a combination of Australia believing England, when pressured, became a group of individuals rather than a team, and their awareness that the English press can be so savage with their own team that sowing seeds like this will be continuing to reap a bumper harvest long after Hayden or whoever has forgotten about it.

Whether you think these kinds of mind games are eddifying or not, they are undoubtedly effective so long as you back them up with good play on the field. But before labelling Hayden as arrogant, its worth considering whether he was making an exaggerated statement to provoke, rather than concluding that he's just up himself. I doubt very very very much whether any of the Aussies are going to be assuming anything about this Ashes rematch - if they aren't raring to prove a point now, they'll never be switched on for any game of cricket.
    Quote Originally Posted by Irfan
    We may not like you, your filthy rich coffers or your ratbag scum of supporters but by god do we respect you as a football team
    GOOD OLD COLLINGWOOD - PREMIERS IN 2010

Is Cam White, Is Good.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information