• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

****OFFICIAL**** Lara vs Tendulkar Debate Thread

Slifer

International Captain
Tendulkar is alot better than Lara

He has got both a better test and ODI record than Lara

The only place where Lara is better than Tendulkar is in getting big test scores

Overall :
1. Tendulkar
2. Lara
3. Ponting
4. Jayasuriya
SRT is not a lot better than LAra never has been. In odis maybe but tests never!!!

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
"In ODIs maybe?"

Not maybe. Sachin is/was a far better ODI batsman than Lara. That's a fact really.

the_last_rites

Cricket Spectator
SRT is not a lot better than LAra never has been. In odis maybe but tests never!!!
I agree that Lara has pulled off some rescue acts, that probably will never be emulated but lets look at something here. Why is it so hard to imagine that a batsman with a higher average than you (not by virtue of not outs) can be accepted as being on par with you, let alone better than you?

martin88

Banned
I agree that Lara has pulled off some rescue acts, that probably will never be emulated but lets look at something here. Why is it so hard to imagine that a batsman with a higher average than you (not by virtue of not outs) can be accepted as being on par with you, let alone better than you?
Sieg Heil.

I think people tend to judge Lara just based on his best efforts and not his career as a whole. And While Lara has been godly and played some incredible knocks, Tendulkar is not behind in terms of such knocks. Only that they have got submerged in the deluge of his prolifigacy.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
When i made this thread way back, although i made very valid reasons why i put Tendy sligthly ahead of Lara (although being more of fan of Lara).

Based on how Tendy is playing in his last days as a "test batsman" this argument is clearly reaching the point like Warne vs Murali in that you can't split them.

Slifer

International Captain
I never stated that Lara was inferior as a batsman to SRT I just took exception someone stating that he was "a lot better" which obviously in tests SRT is not

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That's just in your estimation, though. There's absolutely nothing in his stats that puts him a rung below richards or a rung above ponting. If you, subjectively, feel that he is a better player than Ponting or worse player than Richards, that's fine, but people are allowed to disagree with equally valid subjective rationales.
I think this is the important thing for me. You can choose your corner and fight it, but at the end of the day there's not a lot in it between such quality players. Really it comes down to personal preference.

I prefer Lara.

Slifer

International Captain
Totally agree. which ,makes statements like SRT is alot better than Lara really sound moronic. The only batsman who the alot better tag applies to is Mr Don Bradman himself.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
"In ODIs maybe?"

Not maybe. Sachin is/was a far better ODI batsman than Lara. That's a fact really.
I just took exception someone stating that he was "a lot better" which obviously in tests SRT is not
Ah, apologies. Misread your post.

Was wondering that it was unlike you to suggest that Sachin is only "maybe" better in ODIs. He's definitively better in ODIs, though whether the gap is "a lot" or just "some way" is debatable.

bagapath

International Captain
Hotter wife, therefore Lara >> Tendulkar.
ha ha. mrs. lara has looked more attractive on big occasions, I agree. but mrs. tendulkar has looked good for longer. if the former is ***ier, the later is a more classical beauty. therefore, brian lara's style = sachin tendulkar's classical orthodoxy

Last edited:

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
ha ha. mrs. lara has looked more attractive on big occasions, I agree. but mrs. tendulkar has looked good for longer. if the former is ***ier, the later is a more classical beauty. therefore, brain lara's style = sachin tendulkar's classical orthodoxy
It's not about who is more beautiful, it's about who you'd rather furgle. haha

bagapath

International Captain
despite scoring less runs and centuries compared to tendulkar, brian has his nose ahead of sachin in test matches on two counts: more monumental knocks (400*, 375, 277) and more epic performances (series in SL, 153* against Aus). But if you take ODIs into account then sachin more than nullifies that advantage with more match winning knocks and better average/quicker scoring rate.

it should be 50.05 sachin - 49.95 lara

martin88

Banned
Tendulkar too has played some test knocks which are right up there with Lara's best knocks. The only place he lags behind is that he dies not have a 300+ score.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
despite scoring less runs and centuries compared to tendulkar, brian has his nose ahead of sachin in test matches on two counts: more monumental knocks (400*, 375, 277) and more epic performances (series in SL, 153* against Aus). But if you take ODIs into account then sachin more than nullifies that advantage with more match winning knocks and better average/quicker scoring rate.

it should be 50.05 sachin - 49.95 lara
Agree with the over all picture..

Still think Lara is juz slightly better than Sachin for tests..

But add in ODIs where Sachin is well ahead and I think overall Sachin definitely shades Lara.

But his current form means I am seriously thinking whether Lara is still that slightly better than Sachin in tests.. His recent knocks have been mesmerising, to say the least.. :)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Its very tough for an Indian (as I am sure it is for a West Indian) to rank these two objectively. They are two of the greatest batsmen in the history of the game, they are far above any other batsmen of their own times and their records are very imressive.

I do not think not having a triple century is such a big factor when comparing Sachin and Lara. It is just a statistical oddity that can be used. I have not heard any one running down Hobbs because he has just one double century (211 against a weak South African attack). We have here voted him by a huge margin the greatest batsman (after Bradman) of all times.

No you cant separate such great players by statistics.

I rate Lara slightly (just slightly) above Sachin in Test cricket and the reason for that is in thier game and technique.

Lara always has had a great sense of where his off stump lies. So has Sachin but not as good as Lara. The reason for that is in the unambiguous and early movement by Lara when playing back. watch any video of Lara and you will see him going right back and across, on to his off stump when he goes back. This makes it absolutely clear to him where his feet are in relation to the stump and the decision to play the ball or to leave it becomes that much easier.

The backfoot play also has another aspect to it. Sobers was another great backfoot player (as are all true greats as is Sachin) and you do not see too many pictures of Lara and Sobers going forward to defend. They would prefer to go forward to drive only otherwise go back so that they can defend attack or let go with more certainty. Sachin goes forward slightly more and thus we see him drawn to the ball that may leave him outside the off stump. Its not that it doesn't happen to the others but Sachin looks a more likely candidate for it.

It wasn't like that always. Sachin went back and across much more in his very early days. One day cricket and then opening in ODI's made him go for those shots off the front foot which went crashing between backward point to extra cover even if slightly short of a length.

Another difference which has crept into Sachin's game (in the latter part of his career) is his reluctance to step out to spinners. But one has seen so much of it from it for almost ten years from him that I do not give it that much importance, Nevertheless, Lara, like Sobers before him ,continued to dance down the track to spinners right till his last day in the game. Same is not true for Sachin for many years now.