• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

****OFFICIAL**** Lara vs Tendulkar Debate Thread

subshakerz

International Coach
They each have strengths where the other may not, which makes this an interesting comparison.

Tendulkar is harder to dismiss early on but Lara is more capable of big hundreds and sticking in longer.

Tendulkar is more consistent but Lara is generally a better player under pressure.

Tendulkar is more technically proficient but Lara oozes more class than anyone on the crease.

Overall, I go for Lara, I feel he has more destructive potential out of the two and can make any game his own.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Tendulkar is harder to dismiss early on but Lara is more capable of big hundreds and sticking in longer.
The last 10 or so 100s of Tendulkar have all been above 150 if I am not wrong. Tendulkar has a lot of 150 plus scores in his repertoire even though he doesn't have the big 200s or 300s. Lara is still more prolific where big hundreds are concerned but Tendulkar has always been closing the gap. Some will argue though that he does not have the high scores to match Lara.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Its just like the Warne vs Murali debate for me. I could easily pick one or the other depending on what day of the week it is. I loved Lara's style and tried to copy it in my cricketing days without much success and Sachin on his day can hit the ball so good it makes the game of cricket seem so much more beautiful.

sudhindra9

School Boy/Girl Captain
Tendulkar is alot better than Lara

He has got both a better test and ODI record than Lara

The only place where Lara is better than Tendulkar is in getting big test scores

Overall :
1. Tendulkar
2. Lara
3. Ponting
4. Jayasuriya

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket

The only place where Lara is better than Tendulkar is in getting big test scores

Overall :
1. Tendulkar
2. Lara
3. Ponting
4. Jayasuriya
Daylight between Ponting and Jayasuriya in tests.

bagapath

International Captain
Depends how Tendulkar finishes his career.
not sure about that. if he finishes with a few points higher than his current average, it doesnt mean he can get closer to bradman, sobers, hobbs, richards and hammond. on the other hand, if he loses a few points he is not going to end up closer to lara, gavaskar, g.chappell, g.pollock and ponting, either. :)

Evermind

International Debutant
not sure about that. if he finishes with a few points higher than his current average, it doesnt mean he can get closer to bradman, sobers, hobbs, richards and hammond. on the other hand, if he loses a few points he is not going to end up closer to lara, gavaskar, g.chappell, g.pollock and ponting, either. :)
That's just in your estimation, though. There's absolutely nothing in his stats that puts him a rung below richards or a rung above ponting. If you, subjectively, feel that he is a better player than Ponting or worse player than Richards, that's fine, but people are allowed to disagree with equally valid subjective rationales.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
The last 10 or so 100s of Tendulkar have all been above 150 if I am not wrong. Tendulkar has a lot of 150 plus scores in his repertoire even though he doesn't have the big 200s or 300s. Lara is still more prolific where big hundreds are concerned but Tendulkar has always been closing the gap. Some will argue though that he does not have the high scores to match Lara.
Hmm, thought that was Sehwag? Or has Tendulkar done the same himself?

Xuhaib

International Coach

Overall :
1. Tendulkar
2. Lara
3. Ponting
4. Jayasuriya
Love Jaya but please he is not even in the same planet as the other 3.

bagapath

International Captain
That's just in your estimation, though. There's absolutely nothing in his stats that puts him a rung below richards or a rung above ponting. If you, subjectively, feel that he is a better player than Ponting or worse player than Richards, that's fine, but people are allowed to disagree with equally valid subjective rationales.
of course, that is true. my point is statistically there is no way his position in history will change from hereon. if he is between richards and ponting in my books he will remain there irrespective of what he does in the next two years. if he is better than richards or worse than ponting in your books, it will be difficult to make you change your mind, too. he (and ponting) has played long enough to have a fixed position in our minds already. doesnt matter how he finishes.