• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

500 Club!

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
Most seem a long way as of now, this is an interesting reading for you probably, heres how they stand :

McGrath 253
J.Srinath 276
Warne 285
Murali 297
Kumble 299
Waqar 395
Wasim 479

We are not sure wether Wasim will play enough cricket to get to 500? Should be on his mind before saying goodbye...Hopefully he will get there..a befitting first for a great bowler.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
It all depends on the PCB Politics and the number of games Pakistan play, whether Wasim and Waqar keep playing long enough.

They ought to be 1 and 2, but Murali will get there before anyone else bar Wasim/Waqar, it's just a case of whether the Pakistanis play enough to beat him.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm not so sure about Murali as although he is taking wickets cheaply and keeps the runs down in ODIs he does not take wickets quite as prolifically as he does in Tests...he's 30 and he has 297, thats still quite a few to go...

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
Add

Saqlain 271 wickets
Pollock 235
Vaas 242

Another interesting stastistic, the econ. rate at which these wickets were picked by wasim, 3.89 is surpassed only by Murali 3.83 (someone who has a comparable number of wickets) followe closely by Mcgrath 3.91.

BTW he has played atleast a hundred more matches then any comparable bowler.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Originally posted by Rik
I'm not so sure about Murali as although he is taking wickets cheaply and keeps the runs down in ODIs he does not take wickets quite as prolifically as he does in Tests...he's 30 and he has 297, thats still quite a few to go...
Well if Jayasuriya allowed him to bowl at the tail-enders he'd have a fair few more wickets by now!:D

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
IMO Wasim is not a definite pick for Pak in ODI's, and there's only 5 against ZIM then 5 against SA before the World Cup - could be that there's not enough cricket there for him?

basil

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Akram will easily get the 21 wkts to reach the 500 mark, he has around 15-20 matches, thats not difficult.

Who else can do it? I think it can only be Murali.Waqar will most probably retire after WC.Kumble/Warne/McGrath are far behind, and i don't think they will last much longer to get to the 500 mark!

basil

Originally posted by marc71178
IMO Wasim is not a definite pick for Pak in ODI's, and there's only 5 against ZIM then 5 against SA before the World Cup - could be that there's not enough cricket there for him?
Waseem is a definite pick for onedayer team, thats not the case with test matches.Who do u think can replace Akram? Sami , u gottabe joking.Akram is the second best Pak bowler in onedayer after Akhter, and in the WC as well in the matches against SA Waqar is not gonna be stupid enough to field a below par team!

howzthat

Cricket Spectator
Assuming Pak get to the super six and doesn't qualify for the semis, even then Pak will be playing 11 matches in WC, some being against Holland and namibia

11 +10(5 each against SA and Zimb) thats 21, exactly the number of wkts Waseem wants to get to the 500 mark.Well even if Waseem misses 4-5 matches, he will still get it easily

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
He probably will, but I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't.

For me Pak's attack wouldn't be a great deal weaker with Akhtar, Younis, Razzaq, Mahmood, Saqlain and Afridi - I don't think you need 3 out and out quicks in a One Day attack.

basil

He probably will, but I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't.
He will for sure!

.[/quote]
For me Pak's attack wouldn't be a great deal weaker with Akhtar, Younis, Razzaq, Mahmood, Saqlain and Afridi - I don't think you need 3 out and out quicks in a One Day attack. [/quote]

Mahmood is probably history now, won't get much chance.Akram is still one of the best onedayer bowler in the game(just got man of the match against Eng playing for World 11).Pak open the bowling with W's and akhter comes after the tenth over to destroy the opponents midorder, it should remain like that till the WC.

basil

Waseem needs just 15 more wkts to reach the magic figure of 500, if he plays in all the remaining 8 matches, he might as well get it before the WC!!

Once again Waseem have proved his critics wrong!!

CricketGuru

School Boy/Girl Captain
Who tells u that he is not a definite pick for Pakistan now man?? He is a definite pick by everyone in Pakistan except people who have something personal against him.

hourn

U19 Cricketer
Originally posted by Rik

Murali will play to his 40.

1. off spin bowling is not stressful on the body.
2. to add to that, he has the most stress free "action".

He'll pick up 800 test wickets and about 600 in the one day game depending on how many games Sri Lanka play a year.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Originally posted by hourn
Originally posted by Rik
Yes but if he keeps missing ODI Series then its gonna be very hard...
Murali will play to his 40.

1. off spin bowling is not stressful on the body.
2. to add to that, he has the most stress free "action".

He'll pick up 800 test wickets and about 600 in the one day game depending on how many games Sri Lanka play a year.