• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who is Better--- Sachin or Gangs???

quick4mindia

School Boy/Girl Captain
I am really sorry to have raised this rotten topic that is much debated back home in India.
I would like to see how the international cricket buffs think of the two cricketers in ODIs only. (For the obvious reason that there is no comparison in test matches)
Comments from all quarters are welcome

IndianByHeart

U19 Vice-Captain
Ganguly is not even in Indian team, while Sachin is an automatic selection.There seems to be huge difference b/w the two, Sachin is better for sure.

quick4mindia

School Boy/Girl Captain
IndianByHeart said:
This is what i am coming across of late. All the vocal supporters of Gangu eventually start comparing his feats with that of Sachin and end up becoming a sachin basher.
and thats why this fair platform to express their views without any need to become a sachin basher.8-)
Do i sound biased?

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
quick4mindia said:
I am tempted to know with who two others??
I doubt he actually thought it out, but I'd be tempted to say Bevan and Richards. And anyway, it's gotta be Tendulkar.

oz_fan

International Regular
quick4mindia said:
I would have Viv Richards at number 1. Probably Tendulkar second. Not too sure who I would have third. Possibly Bevan or Lara.

alternative

Cricket Web Content Updater
Tendulkar without a doubt, but Ganguly is one of my favourite players.. so i just can't leave him out of the picture..

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
quick4mindia said:
Viv and Bevan. Those 3 are in my mind undoubtedly the 3 best ODI batsmen ever.

Anyway, Ganguly is an all time great ODI batsman, but Sachin is one of the best ever. Its not really an argument. Its just the way it is.

My favourite opening partnership ever though.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
luckyeddie said:
Well, Sachin as a captain was totally inferior
I think thats a bit unfair. I dont think he got a fair shot, and the selectors really worked against him.

BUT, I agree with you. Ganguly was the right choice for captain at the time. He really moved indian cricket forward, and he did a great job.

In any case, for best ODI batsman:

1) Viv
2) Tendulkar
3) Bevan

Ganguly is one of the all timers, but Tendulkar/Viv/Bevan are in their own category.

Beleg

International Regular
Sachin Tendulkar, as a batsman, was able to put the fear of God in the bowlers. I watched Gauguly in his prime and as good a batsman he obviously was, there really is no comparison.

kvemuri

U19 12th Man
Tendulkar hands down as a batsman, Tendulkar in any ODI team is irreplaceable imo, Ganguly, especially over the past two years, has been a walking wkt in ODIs and ppl who consider him to be better just need to watch his performance in his last ODI (in the tri-nations final ) particularly against Shane Bond, he was practically scared of Bond, so the comparision is absolutely moot. Having said that overall Ganguly as captain was better hands down.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
silentstriker said:
I think thats a bit unfair. I dont think he got a fair shot, and the selectors really worked against him.
Only inferior in comparison to Ganguly in captaincy terms (and not inferior in general).

IMO, Ganguly was probably India's greatest ever captain in both forms of the game (and I really used to rate Ajit Wadekar).

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
At their peaks (1996/7 - 2001/2), Sourav was as good as Sachin as a batsman . Overall Sachin Hands down.

As a Captain - Sourav Hands down. Sachin cant complain that he didn't get a fair chance or anything. It was offered to him on a platter, twice. He just couldn't handle it.

C_C

International Captain
luckyeddie said:
Only inferior in comparison to Ganguly in captaincy terms (and not inferior in general).

IMO, Ganguly was probably India's greatest ever captain in both forms of the game (and I really used to rate Ajit Wadekar).
Whats your impression about MAK Pataudi ?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
oz_fan said:
I would have Viv Richards at number 1. Probably Tendulkar second. Not too sure who I would have third. Possibly Bevan or Lara.
IMO Richards was nowhere near as good as Bevan.
Bevan could play innings no-one else could.
And virtually no-one (except maybe Shahid Afridi) could play innings Bevan couldn't.