Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 44
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Worst Cricket Books

  1. #1
    U19 Cricketer armchairumpire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    404

    Worst Cricket Books

    Worst cricket books ever read? There are some shockers.

    My favourite worst one is Calypso Cricket by Roland Fishman. Mid 80's tour by Oz of the Windies. Lots of the low lights of the tour, not much else. Supposedly written from Greg Matthews perspective. I unfortunately was given not one, but two copies of this wonderful read.

  2. #2
    Hall of Fame Member Smudge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    There or thereabouts
    Posts
    17,779
    Balance of Power by Stephen Fleming.

    Learned nothing interesting about him.

  3. #3
    U19 Cricketer armchairumpire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    404
    Quote Originally Posted by Voltman
    Balance of Power by Stephen Fleming.

    Learned nothing interesting about him.
    I really liked that book. Didn't know much about him beforehand so I found out quite a lot. It was actually quite well written by Richard Boock. Most of the stuff in it had already been quite well documented, but it was interesting to hear Fleming's perception of the situation.

    Liked the cover as well. Bit tongue in cheek I think.

  4. #4
    Hall of Fame Member Smudge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    There or thereabouts
    Posts
    17,779
    I guess it's different for me, living in New Zealand. I'd heard most of the things before, and I'm always confused why a player would put out a biography mid-career anyway. It's not like he can say what he really thinks about current players/staff.


  5. #5
    Banned Blaze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    NZ
    Posts
    5,124
    Quote Originally Posted by Voltman
    I guess it's different for me, living in New Zealand. I'd heard most of the things before, and I'm always confused why a player would put out a biography mid-career anyway. It's not like he can say what he really thinks about current players/staff.
    Have you read Justin Marshall's book? It is the worst sports biography I have read by some distance.

  6. #6
    Cricket Web Owner James's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    25,772
    Mark Richardson's book, I read the opening three chapters in the bookstore a few weeks ago. Watching paint dry would give you more enjoyment.

    My favourite one is Dermot Reeve's autobiography he released about 10 years ago.

  7. #7
    Hall of Fame Member Smudge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    There or thereabouts
    Posts
    17,779
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaze
    Have you read Justin Marshall's book? It is the worst sports biography I have read by some distance.
    No, I haven't - and I have no intention of doing so. The guy loves the sound of his own voice and I cannot fathom how anyone from Mataura has anything worth listening to anyway.

  8. #8
    U19 Cricketer armchairumpire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    404
    Quote Originally Posted by James
    Mark Richardson's book, I read the opening three chapters in the bookstore a few weeks ago. Watching paint dry would give you more enjoyment.

    My favourite one is Dermot Reeve's autobiography he released about 10 years ago.
    Richos book - don't think it's swum across the Tasman yet. Can imagine the chapter headings - My love of lycra. Spoof Backfired.

  9. #9
    International Coach archie mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    canberra Australia
    Posts
    10,807
    Do you need help to sleep? Doug Walters: Looking for Runs Zzzzzzzzz
    You know it makes sense.

  10. #10
    U19 Cricketer armchairumpire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    404
    Quote Originally Posted by archie mac
    Do you need help to sleep? Doug Walters: Looking for Runs Zzzzzzzzz
    I remember that book. That was a while ago. Please don't say anything bad about Dougie. Don't know how he would have survived the current packed schedule. He was famous for going to the darts board, throwing a dart and stating that he was warmed up and ready to bat. No pulled hamstrings, groins, bruised heels, broken ribs etc for Dougie!

    If you really can't sleep what about reading all or some of Steve Waugh's tour diaries?

    Has anyone read Dirk Wellham's biography Solid Knocks and second thoughts? I particularly liked the chapter where he recounted how he knocked out a spectator who was holding the gate open for him. What about Neil Harvey - My World of Cricket - sounds a bit like Wayne's World.

    What about your favourite chapter of the worst books? Can I have chapter names. I'll start you off. Dirk Wellham - Dr Kim and Mr Hughes, Interrogated and Humiliated. What about chapters from Mike Brealey's The Art of Captaincy - 'My G-d look what they sent me' - the captain and selection or Many hands make light work - sometimes.

  11. #11
    International Coach archie mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    canberra Australia
    Posts
    10,807
    Quote Originally Posted by armchairumpire
    I remember that book. That was a while ago. Please don't say anything bad about Dougie. Don't know how he would have survived the current packed schedule. He was famous for going to the darts board, throwing a dart and stating that he was warmed up and ready to bat. No pulled hamstrings, groins, bruised heels, broken ribs etc for Dougie!

    If you really can't sleep what about reading all or some of Steve Waugh's tour diaries?

    Has anyone read Dirk Wellham's biography Solid Knocks and second thoughts? I particularly liked the chapter where he recounted how he knocked out a spectator who was holding the gate open for him. What about Neil Harvey - My World of Cricket - sounds a bit like Wayne's World.

    What about your favourite chapter of the worst books? Can I have chapter names. I'll start you off. Dirk Wellham - Dr Kim and Mr Hughes, Interrogated and Humiliated. What about chapters from Mike Brealey's The Art of Captaincy - 'My G-d look what they sent me' - the captain and selection or Many hands make light work - sometimes.
    You won't hear anything bad about Dougie from me

    I am hopeless at remembering chapter names, one I do remember is from David Frith's great book 'By His Own Hand' it was called "Turnip Head" Trott

  12. #12
    U19 Cricketer armchairumpire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    404
    Quote Originally Posted by archie mac
    You won't hear anything bad about Dougie from me

    I am hopeless at remembering chapter names, one I do remember is from David Frith's great book 'By His Own Hand' it was called "Turnip Head" Trott
    So flip through your extensive cricket book collection and find some good chapter headings. I had a lot of fun doing that the other evening. Yes, I know I should get out more.

  13. #13
    Hall of Fame Member Smudge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    There or thereabouts
    Posts
    17,779
    Quote Originally Posted by armchairumpire
    So flip through your extensive cricket book collection and find some good chapter headings. I had a lot of fun doing that the other evening. Yes, I know I should get out more.

    You're right. You should.

    And for your next trick, do you measure bats in sports stores to ensure they're the proper size?

  14. #14
    U19 Cricketer armchairumpire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    404
    Quote Originally Posted by Voltman
    You're right. You should.

    And for your next trick, do you measure bats in sports stores to ensure they're the proper size?
    Only 3 types of bats - aluminium a la D K Lillee, ordinary bat, and the R T Ponting super graphite bat with added Kryptonite. No need to measure!

  15. #15
    Hall of Fame Member GotSpin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Stranger leering through a pair of binoculars
    Posts
    16,141
    Autobio by Justin Langer. He needs to learn some anger, and criticise people for once.

    softy
    Don't go chasing waterfalls

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Cricket Books
    By archie mac in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 2466
    Last Post: 25-12-2018, 07:27 AM
  2. Cricket v/s Baseball
    By chekmeout in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 155
    Last Post: 19-12-2018, 03:52 AM
  3. Domestic cricket goes live on FOX SPORTS
    By Haddin in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 16-05-2006, 08:28 AM
  4. Cricket Web Forum
    By James in forum Cricket Web Forum Announcements
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-04-2004, 02:10 AM
  5. The Twenty20 Cup in England
    By PY in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 126
    Last Post: 22-07-2003, 03:26 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •