• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How do you rate Jamie Cox?

jf2001

Cricket Web Staff Member
How do you rate Jamie Cox?

I wanted to know what the good peoploe of Cricket Web thought of Jamie Cox. He will be playing for Somerset in 2003 but not as captain. His reappointment as one of the overseas players went down like a lead balloon in some quarters.

How is he rated in Oz??

Somerset have done the deed and signed Nixon McLean on a year's contract as the second overseas player. That signing also brought groans from many fans. Warne, Jonty Rhodes, possibly Sehwag, Harbajan Singh and Mushtaq Ahmed have all been signed for 2003 - Nixon aint in their class.

:ticking:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I suggest that Cox and McLean will e a very good pairing for Somerset compared with these big names players for a couple of reasons:

1) Less pressure on them to succeed due to their name.
2) No International call ups mean they're available all season.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I don't think it's too bad a move to re-sign Jamie for 2003. Let's face it, the rest of the batting line up hasn't exactly impressed (Blackpool!) and the younger players (Durston, Suppiah, Trego...) haven't shone (I know they're all rounders, unfortunately they haven't done either bit particularly well). Jamie didn't have a great year last year, granted, but still averaged 31. In the years before it was 57-39-58 and without the pressure of captaincy I think he can do that again - He's due a 56 if we extrapolate that!

Nixon however is not a good move. Smacks of penny-pinching to me...

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Cox is a good player but he's fallen away lately with the bat, I dunno we might see him back to his best form soon but yeah I agree that Mclean still hasn't proved himself at international level and didn't over-do himself at Hampshire and I think an all-rounder would have been a better choice even though Nixon will probably chip in with a few 50s, hes that type of player.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Actually Cox has done better with the bat for Tasmania in recent seasons than he has for somerset...who said County Cricket was easy (other than Hussey and Lehmann of course)

Paid The Umpire

All Time Legend
He is great.

2 reasons:

1) In Australian Cricket Captain he scored for me a 300+ dig.

2) In the WCCC he has gotten many a fifty.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Jamie cox is an awsome player - very good under pressure and i would say that he is the 4th betsst opener in Aus and would be opening for any other country in the world.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Its a shame for Cox, because I think he is a great opener. If he was a resident of England or New Zealand he'd probably be first choice to open.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
he is a top player, i still think there is hope of him playing for Australia.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
i doubt it, Hussey and Maher and Love would prob all be ahead of him

though i rate him ahead of teh latter 2

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Hmmmm ya gotta think though if Hussey who keeps churning out 100s and 300s can't get into the Aussie squad and actually looses his ACB contract after scoring 2000 runs and then 1300 in fewer games. If Hussey can't get in then how on earth will Cox ever get in?

jf2001

Cricket Web Staff Member
One More Season please, Jamie

2002 will go down as a major bummer for all the Somerset team with Cox expecially. He hasn't suddenly become a bad player, just lost his momentum after breaking a finger in the Bath Festival early season. I interviewed David Boon for my website, somersettalk.co.uk, and he rates Jamie Cox very highly.

Cox has been the lynchpin of the Tasmanian batting for some time and I fully expect another decent season for him down under followed by one last stab at heroics for Somerset. Not sure if he still plans to play for Tasmania after 2003 but he won't be for Somerset.

There are better players or more productive Aussie players in county cricket like Hussey but Somerset fans (myself included) need to remind ourselves where the county were at pre-Jamie Cox.