• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Just wondering how Aussie's feel..

fishyguy

U19 12th Man
When Australia win. I mean they always win. Is it like oh yeah whatever thats expected cuz I mean you guys win all the time. Surely there's some diminishing marginal utility right? Or are you guys overjoyed everytime you win which is almost every test match.

What about when Australia lose. Are you guys really devastated and shocked cuz you're not used to losing?

Maybe I'm being naive but I'm just curious cuz most cricket fans dont know what its like to win all the time.

Blaze

Banned
I have wondered in the past how much joy Australians get out of seeing their team win all the time as well...

It must get boring (at least some times) winning all the time...

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
cameeel said:
We whinge????

This coming from an english sports fan:-O :laugh:
Oh yes. About subs. And injuries. And LBWs. And Rain...

Actually, most posters have been mature and gracious about it. But if you ever need Herschelle's phone number...

chalky

International Debutant
Neil Pickup said:

Actually, most posters have been mature and gracious about it. But if you ever need Herschelle's phone number...
You forgot small grounds.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Aussie fans then suddenly become the ultimate pessimists, declaring that because they've lost a series that they're now going to lose everything from now on, that the current squad should be replaced, etc. The whinging is just the beginning.........

As for being overjoyed with every win, well no not really. It depends who we beat;

South Africa: Australia loves beating South Africa the most because the perception is that they think they're up with our team when the reality is that they aren't. As with everything Australian, it all comes back to the barbecue; South Africa remind us of that annoying guy who tells everyone there that he played for high-level sports team and would have made it big but for injury/bad coaching/disagrement with a senior player. Aussies hate 'big-noters'.

England: Used to love beating England just because it's the Ashes and we're supposed to enjoy it but the last few times, have become a bit bored with it all and secretly, I think a lot of fans were a little glad they won this time so that we can revert to type and enjoy beating them again. :D

India: In India, Aussies get a bit paranoid because we're always afraid that no matter of ordinary they may look on paper or how good our own team may look that they'll unearth some gun spinner who'll decide the outcome of the series on his own. Then after we lose the series comfortably, we enjoy spanking the daylights out of the same spinner back in Australia.

Pakistan: Seems to really enjoy playing against Pakistan and I think that's because they're generally whole-hearted triers who always have some of the most talented players in the world. The BBQ analogy is the guy who owns a Ferrari. If we lose to them at home, the boiler-plate response to that is to assume they somehow cheated (lost its bite with the advent of neutral umpires). The BBQ analogy fits this guy too because we assume he cheated on his taxes to get the Ferrari.

Sri Lanka: Love beating them no matter what because the perception is that they whine and complain about the aggression of the players too much. Remember kiddies, the best way to annoy the heck out of a bully is to tell them they are one........

West Indies: Used to enjoy spanking the daylights out of these guys because of the horror they put us through during the 80's but of late, feel really sorry for them. Generally over-compensate by praising the wazoo out of any of their players who do well against us and are puzzled and hugely upset when the same player is found out against other teams and then not selected in the next series against us.

New Zealand: Very public feelings of joy when we beat them but secretly, we love playing against them because they remind us of ourselves but seem far nicer. Remind us of the guy who turns up faithfully at every match in the local cricket comp, always brings the best snacks for tea, has a nice looking girlfriend but can't bat or bowl to save himself. We love that guy.

Bangladesh: We love these guys. We love to back a team which has no chance of beating us (or anyone else). Whinged and moaned profusely when they beat us at Cardiff and will do the same mercilessly when they take a Test off us.

Zimbabwe: The nice South Africans.

Last edited:

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Top_Cat said:
New Zealand: Very public feelings of joy when we beat them but secretly, we love playing against them because they remind us of ourselves but seem far nicer. Remind us of the guy who turns up faithfully at every match in the local cricket comp, always brings the best snacks for tea, has a nice looking girlfriend but can't bat or bowl to save himself. We love that guy.
:laugh: :laugh:

Harsh, but funny. But what does that mean when the faithful bloke who can't bat or bowl ends up beating you? :p

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Voltman said:

Harsh, but funny. But what does that mean when the faithful bloke who can't bat or bowl ends up beating you? :p

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Yeah, good piece. Although we usually give a good fight when playing Australia.

I support NZ first and Aussie second. I'm indifferent when Australia wins, really, unless it's been a great test and the other side has fought well, and Australia has pulled off a great win. Then I feel happy :happy:

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
Voltman said:

From personal experience, what they do is this:

1. Patronisingly say "you must be very proud".
2. Claim that they lost because [insert player(s) name(s) here] was injured.
3. Loudly and repeatedly remind you of pretty much every time they've beaten you in the past, and not just at cricket.
4. Extend the debate to include the superiority of Australian beer.
5. Get bored and talk about footy instead.

I love most of the Australians I met when I was living there, but jeez, they can't handle losing to NZ.

Last edited:

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
yeah winning's pretty boring cos it happens so much. But when we lose more emotion is conjured up cos it's a shock.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
mundaneyogi said:
I love most of the Australians I met when I was living there, but jeez, they can't handle losing to NZ.[/QUOTE]

Only in rugby, but that's because the All Blacks are a quintissential minnow that has no business being on the same park as our multi, i.e. more than one, World Cup winning heroes.