• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Can you take a hat-trick over two matches?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I actually had a similar question. But its not really got to do with int'l cricket, but synthetic club cricket :p

If you bowl a ball and it hits the half-way mark of the pitch which seperates the synthetic mats, its apparently a 'dead ball'. Now I was bowling my regular leggies in the synthetic nets a month or so ago during cricket training and I was on a hat-trick. My last two balls had resulted in wickets. My next ball pitched half way and had it been a full synthetic pitch, would have hit that spot half-way resulting in it being a dead ball. Would I then be on a hat-trick on my next ball (all assuming this was in a live game and not a net session)?

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:
No, I don't get disappointed when someone's out for 99. I can absolutely gurantee you that if you offered a batsman 99 before most innings, he'd take it. 99 is usually a good score on all but the absolute flattest of wickets (Antigua etc.)
I am indeed a churle and a curmadgeon and make no apologies for it. I only rarely find cricket "exciting" - I find it hugely interesting, gripping, heartbeat-raising, etc. rather. As such, I prefer to point-out to people that there's nothing to get excited about at a bowler bowling a few 90mph deliveries or getting 3 wickets in 3 balls.
You're really, really, really weird.

So cricket doesn't excite you but you have more than 19,000 posts on a cricket forum?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
No, it doesn't excite me.
It doesn't need to.
There are other positive emotions in life - loads of them - besides excitement.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Jono said:
I actually had a similar question. But its not really got to do with int'l cricket, but synthetic club cricket :p

If you bowl a ball and it hits the half-way mark of the pitch which seperates the synthetic mats, its apparently a 'dead ball'. Now I was bowling my regular leggies in the synthetic nets a month or so ago during cricket training and I was on a hat-trick. My last two balls had resulted in wickets. My next ball pitched half way and had it been a full synthetic pitch, would have hit that spot half-way resulting in it being a dead ball. Would I then be on a hat-trick on my next ball (all assuming this was in a live game and not a net session)?
I think you would be yes - the ball hasn't counted in the game so in effect hasn't happened.

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
Richard said:
I find it hugely interesting, gripping, heartbeat-raising.
ex·cite
tr.v. ex·cit·ed, ex·cit·ing, ex·cites

1. To stir to activity.
2. To call forth (a reaction or emotion, for example); elicit: odd noises that excited our curiosity.
3. To arouse strong feeling in: speakers who know how to excite a crowd. See Synonyms at provoke.
4. Physiology. To produce increased activity or response in (an organ, tissue, or part); stimulate.

Sounds like you're excited to me...

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
burkey_1988 said:
Thanks to the people who contributed positively in this thread.
"I just love hat tricks. They're so pretty, don't you think?"

Is that better? :D

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
mundaneyogi said:
ex·cite
tr.v. ex·cit·ed, ex·cit·ing, ex·cites

1. To stir to activity.
2. To call forth (a reaction or emotion, for example); elicit: odd noises that excited our curiosity.
3. To arouse strong feeling in: speakers who know how to excite a crowd. See Synonyms at provoke.
4. Physiology. To produce increased activity or response in (an organ, tissue, or part); stimulate.

Sounds like you're excited to me...
If so, let it be that way.
I rarely get out of my seat - even after Edgbaston, all I did was sat smiling, when I bet virtually everyone else of the English-cricket-fandom was leaping about and screaming.
That's how I define my broadly-speaking lack of excitability.

Swervy

International Captain
Richard said:
If so, let it be that way.
I rarely get out of my seat - even after Edgbaston, all I did was sat smiling, when I bet virtually everyone else of the English-cricket-fandom was leaping about and screaming.
That's how I define my broadly-speaking lack of excitability.

which takes us right back to:
'Richard, you have no soul. I suggest you take up another sport.'

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Richard said:
I ask again.
Is the term "hat-trick" defined in the rules?
As far as I'm aware - no, it's not. Please show me if it is.
Hat-tricks are tricks for showponies and attention-seekers (or those who seek to build people up in the same way as showponies and attention-seekers seek to build-up themselves) - they aren't really important. As far as the overall effect is concerned, there's essentially no difference between taking 2 wickets in 2 balls, then bowling a dot, then taking another.
(Yes, I'm aware that if you need 4 wickets in the final over it gives you another ball to get the last one, but really - how often does this happen?)
hahahahaha....ha. You're brilliant! In a rainman type of way, but brilliant none-the-less. 'Hattricks are tricks for showponies and attention-seekers'...that's the quote of the year as far as I'm concerned. You've swayed me anyway, next time (if there is one) I take 2 wickets in 2 balls I'm bowling a wide.

andyc

Richard said:
(Yes, I'm aware that if you need 4 wickets in the final over it gives you another ball to get the last one, but really - how often does this happen?)
:blink:
Can't say I've ever heard of that... can anyone explain it?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Son Of Coco said:
hahahahaha....ha. You're brilliant! In a rainman type of way, but brilliant none-the-less. 'Hattricks are tricks for showponies and attention-seekers'...that's the quote of the year as far as I'm concerned. You've swayed me anyway, next time (if there is one) I take 2 wickets in 2 balls I'm bowling a wide.
What if the keeper then effects a stumping - 3 wickets in 2 balls...

andyc

marc71178 said:
What if the keeper then effects a stumping - 3 wickets in 2 balls...
Then, as I found out a few weeks ago, it counts as a run out rather than a stumping, so the bowler doesn't get the wicket. But, still 3 wickets in 2 balls. Therefore, you could get a whole team out without them actually facing a ball. Well, I think so... I know it's that way for a no ball, and I think it would be for a wide too, but I'm not positive.

Last edited:

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
andyc said:
Then, as I found out a few weeks ago, it counts as a run out rather than a stumping, so the bowler doesn't get the wicket. But, still 3 wickets in 2 balls. Therefore, you could get a whole team out without them actually facing a ball. Well, I think so... I know it's that way for a no ball, and I think it would be for a wide too, but I'm not positive.
It's a stumping.

It happened to Jayasuriya in 2000 against India.

*ST Jayasuriya st Dahiya b Ganguly 189

andyc

benchmark00 said:
It's a stumping.

It happened to Jayasuriya in 2000 against India.

*ST Jayasuriya st Dahiya b Ganguly 189
Well there you go. No surprises that it was Ganguly who bowled the wide.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Son Of Coco said:
hahahahaha....ha. You're brilliant! In a rainman type of way, but brilliant none-the-less. 'Hattricks are tricks for showponies and attention-seekers'...that's the quote of the year as far as I'm concerned.
You clearly misunderstood (whether deliberately or not I don't know).
I clearly said "Hat-tricks are tricks for showponies and attention-seekers (or those who seek to build people up in the same way as showponies and attention-seekers seek to build-up themselves)". IF you missed the bracketed bit, you'd get a totally different message.
You've swayed me anyway, next time (if there is one) I take 2 wickets in 2 balls I'm bowling a wide.
Which will leave you on a hat-trick next ball.
Given that a wide can't take a wicket except with a stumping.
And I presume you've not often had the wicketkeeper standing-up to you?

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Swervy said:
which takes us right back to:
'Richard, you have no soul. I suggest you take up another sport.'
Nope, to have no soul you'd need Dementors, which to my knowledge are an invention of JKR.