• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bowlers that srtike terror in batsmen's heart!

Which pacer is feared most by batsmen?

• Harmison

Votes: 4 4.1%
  • Akhtar

Votes: 39 39.8%
  • lee

Votes: 32 32.7%
  • Munaf Patel

Votes: 20 20.4%
  • SreeSanth

Votes: 3 3.1%

• Total voters

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Richard said:
Einstein,
I "disappeared" (on 1 of 4 occasions) about a week after the 1st Test of Harmison's real good spell (starting, not with the 4\33, but the 7\12). I return after what turned-out to be the last of the good games - before he started getting dreadful figures again.
I "disappeared", FTR, for about 3 months. The person who had "disappeared" for considerably longer, and thereby missed not one, but TWO of my returns (after another "disappearence"), was someone else.
I wonder who that might have been, now...
Yes, but I had real reasons - and it'll be happening once more too.

You were either being mardy or suffering from motherboard poisoning.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Whether you had reason or not is not something I commented on - what I said was the fact that you were absent caused you to be ineducated about my absense. I have now put you straight (just for proof). I hope you may have realigned your opinion of the reasons for my absence.
If so - rest assured, others have had to, too.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Richard said:
Whether you had reason or not is not something I commented on - what I said was the fact that you were absent caused you to be ineducated about my absense. I have now put you straight (just for proof). I hope you may have realigned your opinion of the reasons for my absence.
If so - rest assured, others have had to, too.
You went missing because Murali can't straighten his arm?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The proof I was alluding to is that I did post in June\July 2004 - just before Harmison begun the long slope downwards...
Hence I did not "go missing" in March and turn-up in December.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Richard said:
The proof I was alluding to is that I did post in June\July 2004 - just before Harmison begun the long slope downwards...
Hence I did not "go missing" in March and turn-up in December.
Ohhhhhhhh, my mistake.

Things seemed to make more sense in the world then. Must have had you on 'ignore'.

;)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Nah - like I say, I just remember some threads, like that and the one that contained that Neil parody which I referred to in the Underrated XI thread...

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:
My birthday is 08-09-1985. Work it out from there. :)
The highest level of cricket I've played is English club Second XI (one game, was clearly out of my depth).
Neither of these are, especially, relevant - you can learn an awful lot in a short time if you're dedicated to the task, and you don't have to play at much of a standard to understand the game. Playing skill doesn't equate to analytical skill.
I was asking because I find it hard to beleive anyone can post 19000 posts on a subject and I was wondering on what experience those 19000 posts were based on. I could not write that many post on myself and I have a lifetime of experience on the topic.

Firstly I would like to point out that I have just had a baby 1 yr ago. My opinions of how to bring up a baby have changed massively since he was born. Simply, I thought I knew about the subject but until it really happened and I was a part of it I really did not. There is no replacement for experience and you (like I was before I had my baby) is someone who has second hand knowledge without true experience. It is one thing to watch and read but another to state your opinion as fact when it is based on such little experience.

Also the reason I have an issue is what you were saying about fast bowlers. You were saying that speed is not a weapon without movement. Well, as someone who regularly bowls the ball 140+ (or at least used to) I can tell you that is nonsense. The most important thing to a genuine quick is length. Quick bowlers talk length more than movement as they can get the batter inbetween the correct position.

If you have never bowled or faced this kind of ball it is hard to understand.

Also this talk of Harmison being a bad bowler is a joke. As a 20 yr old who is out of his depth in the seconds Im sure you have a valid opinion but if you ever have indepth talks with FC and test players you would appreciate how highly he is rated. He is a different animal in the flesh than on TV or from the stands.

I am not saying you don't have a valid opinion, but I don't agree with the fact that you post with such authority with so little first hand knowledge or experience.

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
Goughy said:
This is in no way a criticism, it is for educational purposes and I am intrigued as to the background of such a dedicated board member.
Goughy, that last post of yours is so unfair. As the quote above proves, you asked him those personal details with the attached assurance that you weren't looking to criticise him. Richard gave you your answer and you attacked him anyway. That was a blatant Pearl Harbour.

Also, it isn't necessary to have reached the pinnacle of any field in order to express your opinion. I'm quite confident that very few - if any - of us on here have reached the elite.

Much to my eternal regret, I haven't achieved as highly in the sport as I know I could have, but I'm sure that doesn't reduce my knowledge, passion or insight one iota.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Goughy said:
Firstly I would like to point out that I have just had a baby 1 yr ago. My opinions of how to bring up a baby have changed massively since he was born. Simply, I thought I knew about the subject but until it really happened and I was a part of it I really did not. There is no replacement for experience and you (like I was before I had my baby) is someone who has second hand knowledge without true experience. It is one thing to watch and read but another to state your opinion as fact when it is based on such little experience.
That's not much for experience, If you want real experience, have another one in next 10 months.

Until then, I would say your experience with babies and Richards expereince in Cricket is pretty much same level.:cool:

Apologies, If I offended you in any way.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
mundaneyogi said:
Goughy, that last post of yours is so unfair. As the quote above proves, you asked him those personal details with the attached assurance that you weren't looking to criticise him. Richard gave you your answer and you attacked him anyway. That was a blatant Pearl Harbour.

Also, it isn't necessary to have reached the pinnacle of any field in order to express your opinion. I'm quite confident that very few - if any - of us on here have reached the elite.

Much to my eternal regret, I haven't achieved as highly in the sport as I know I could have, but I'm sure that doesn't reduce my knowledge, passion or insight one iota.
Im sorry you found it unfair. Its just there are so many posts in which absolutes are mentioned and I wanted to know what experience these definitive judgements were based. I have been heavy in criticism in a number of threads but I have not posted on many others because I know I am not qualifed to pass judgement.

I dont think its harsh to ask where the experience or knowledge to post 19000 times come from. I do not disagree with everything written but so much is presented in a way that suggests to think differently is completely wrong and I want to know the background of the guy who makes the statement.

I apologise if it offends and I am not having a go but as previously stated it is purely for my own educational purposes.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Sanz said:
That's not much for experience, If you want real experience, have another one in next 10 months.

Until then, I would say your experience with babies and Richards expereince in Cricket is pretty much same level.:cool:

Apologies, If I offended you in any way.
Well I found out she is 6 weeks pregenant with the 2nd baby today. I dont know what that means with regards to the above post?

Last edited:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
mundaneyogi said:

Agreed. Rereading everything I made assurances in the first post that I did not keep in the second.

Apologies to all concerned.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Goughy said:
Well I found out she is 6 weeks pregenant with the 2nd baby today. I dont know what that means with regards to the above post?
Congratulations and Good Luck !!! :) :)

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
Goughy said:
Im sorry you found it unfair. Its just there are so many posts in which absolutes are mentioned and I wanted to know what experience these definitive judgements were based. I have been heavy in criticism in a number of threads but I have not posted on many others because I know I am not qualifed to pass judgement.

I dont think its harsh to ask where the experience or knowledge to post 19000 times come from. I do not disagree with everything written but so much is presented in a way that suggests to think differently is completely wrong and I want to know the background of the guy who makes the statement.

I apologise if it offends and I am not having a go but as previously stated it is purely for my own educational purposes.
I totally get that. Richard is incapable of debating, and his absolutist attitude annoys pretty much everyone, me included. Even so, it's still not really on to trick him like that, and he certainly doesn't have to have played to a high level to express himself.

Richard does, however, really need to learn not to be so dogmatic, and to be more tolerant of other people and their views. Perhaps when he grows up he might be a little more easy going.

Edit: Anyway, thanks for your apology. Richard should take a leaf from your book ;) And congrats on the wee one.

Last edited:

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Goughy said:
It means you're a freakin' animal. :naughty: