• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pakistan's chances in England this summer

Tom Halsey

International Coach
I don't think much has changed from the Ashes really. I think we're big favourites.

I don't think anyone was really expecting us to do well in Asia, because we haven't got any spinners ourselves, and we can't play spin ourselves (as Warne had already demonstrated in The Ashes).

In all other conditions, we're 2nd best.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Pakistan have a bowling attack that can do well over here no doubt. But they will need to get a stable opening pair or else i can see them losing early wickets a lot exposing their strong middle order which can handle the swininging ball. But in the end i expect England to win once they have all their players fully fit.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Tom Halsey said:
In all other conditions, we're 2nd best.
Who is the best then ? I think australia's time is up and they are going to lose the test series in SA.

Francis

State Vice-Captain
Good thread.

I myself have been asking myself how to rate Pakistan in the last few months. I think they're a fantastic team these days when key players perform. When names like Shoaib, Afridi and Inzamam don't perform, they're a pretty plain team.

That being said, am I the only one thinks Inzamam is on the same level as any batsmen in the world? He's the Pakistinian Ricky Ponting, a fantastic captain, and he stands up in tight situations. That slower ball I saw Akhtar bowl was demonic. The best thing about it is that you don't need a seamer friendly wicket. Perfect. Afridi's a genius one day, a failure the next the way he bats, but his impact is undeniable.

There's been discussion on weather or not Pakistan are the second best team in the world now that they beat England. For me the jury is out until this series and Pakistan have what it takes to win.

New conditions though... the ball will swing. I think England will just win it. But I wont be suprised if Pakistain win it... players like Mohammad Yousuf (still getting used to the name) and Yunis Khan are always good for a century, and play well when Inzi is in there.

I'm not calling either team the second best in the world until this series is over.

adharcric

International Coach
I'd take England to win it marginally, but the Pakistani pacemen can really make an impact in this series. As for the "2nd Best Team" title, it's still an open contest between England, India, Pakistan and, if they defeat (draw?) the Aussies at home, South Africa. Pakistan beat India in one test fair and square but that can't genuinely be called a "series win". England is still unproven in the subcontinent, while India and Pakistan are still unproven outside of it. I reckon we'll have a better idea by the end of 2006.

Xuhaib

International Coach
I think this Pakistan team is good enough to atleast one test. The big question is can they stop the english from winning 2 out of the other 3 tests:unsure:

RolledOver

U19 Debutant
Francis said:
Good thread.

There's been discussion on weather or not Pakistan are the second best team in the world now that they beat England. For me the jury is out until this series and Pakistan have what it takes to win.

I think India is right up there, just below Australia at one down, and you will find teams like SA, England & NZ above Pak at test cricket level

RolledOver

U19 Debutant
As for the series, i would say it would be either 3-1 or 2-0 to England.

England will do well if they whitewash Pak 4-0, while Pak will do well if they manage to win one test match.

adharcric

International Coach
RolledOver said:
I think India is right up there, just below Australia at one down, and you will find teams like SA, England & NZ above Pak at test cricket level
IMO, NZ doesn't have the firepower to compete with the other four teams you've listed there, unless Shane Bond consistently wrecks lineups. Pakistan have only been tested at home on suspect pitches lately, South Africa have their biggest chance to stake a claim for the #2 spot right now, England will have to defeat Pakistan at home to maintain their stake and India finally might have the pace bowlers to compete with the best in foreign conditions, they'll have to prove that.

RolledOver

U19 Debutant
Even if England beat Pak at home (which is very likely) still they would have by then lost two series abroad , one against Pak and one against India 9(the current one which Eng will probably end up losing). Not sure if a home series win against Pak will be enough for Eng to be considered the second best team.

adharcric

International Coach
Well yeah it won't make them the 2nd best team, but they'll remain genuine contenders. If they lose to Pakistan in England AND in Pakistan, it'll become a little more clear that England is at best the #3 team in the world (ignoring India & South Africa). Of course, if England is without Giles, Jones, Tresco and Vaughan in this series, the result won't mean as much as desired.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
RolledOver said:
Even if England beat Pak at home (which is very likely) still they would have by then lost two series abroad , one against Pak and one against India 9(the current one which Eng will probably end up losing). Not sure if a home series win against Pak will be enough for Eng to be considered the second best team.
I reckon you're going to see this quite a lot for a while - teams dominant at home but under-performing in 'foreign' conditions.

In truth, the rest are still quite a way shy of Australia, and I don't really think any one of them stands out yet.

RolledOver

U19 Debutant
luckyeddie said:
I reckon you're going to see this quite a lot for a while - teams dominant at home but under-performing in 'foreign' conditions.

In truth, the rest are still quite a way shy of Australia, and I don't really think any one of them stands out yet.
When McGrath and warne will retire(after 2007 WC), even Australia might struggle.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
adharcric said:
Pakistan beat India in one test fair and square but that can't genuinely be called a "series win".
OK then, so if the 3rd Test is a flat track and a high scoring draw, I assume that will mean you can't call India's 1-0 victory over England a series win then.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Neil Pickup said:
It's four Tests. And I hope we're favourites, especially seeing how Pakistan played swing on the first morning of the Third Test against India - though if we keep finding stupid ways to get out when set, I dunno...
With the weakness in both batting-line-ups I'd be astonished if there was a single draw that wasn't severely hampered by weather (ie 100 overs or more lost).

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Swervy said:
I think you will find that a full strength England batting line up at home wont be weak...
You do?
I think you're optimistic.
The current India series has, simply, turned things on it's head. Those who've done well I'd expect to fail (Collingwood, Cook, Flintoff) and those who've failed I'd hope might succeed (Strauss, Bell, Jones).

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
IndianByHeart said:
Younis Khan had a terrible time in England recently.
Err, what? Younis has played 2 Tests in England (both 5 years ago - hardly "recent") and did well in both.
Yes, he didn't do much in an extremely limited county stint but I'm willing to bet quite a bit that'd have been different if he'd had a decent-length one.