• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

More shuts door on Ganguly

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Didn't he say the same thing when the team for the first test was picked ? I think media should let go of this issue and stop asking questions about Ganguly. Every day we hear the same story..It is boring now.

adharcric

International Coach
At some point we should know if Ganguly is in fact a done deal so we can pay tribute to the man who has contributed so much to Indian cricket. I wonder if he'll consider retirement at any stage.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
This is what I dont understand, why are people so eager to write orbituary ?? It is his life, let him decide what he wants to do. He is not in the team and that should be enough for fans, media and every other Harry.

adharcric

International Coach
Sanz said:
This is what I dont understand, why are people so eager to write orbituary ?? It is his life, let him decide what he wants to do. He is not in the team and that should be enough for fans, media and every other Harry.
All that's fine, but I feel bad for Ganguly if he just keeps hanging around there. In the end he'll get less respect than he deserves because he'll turn into a spoilt memory.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Those who respect him will do so regardless of his retirement announcement and then there are those who are not going to respect him no matter what he does.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
What no-one can take away from Ganguly is the fact that, in the eyes of many, he is the best Indian captain - EVER.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Sanz said:
Didn't he say the same thing when the team for the first test was picked ? I think media should let go of this issue and stop asking questions about Ganguly. Every day we hear the same story..It is boring now.
This is about Kiran More essentially. How can he say the selection committee has shut th door completely on player x player despite what he may do in the future?

If Ganguly decides to play it is his right. I agree with you. To rule out any player, despite his age doesn't speak highly on the selection committee chairman.

I have spoken on the inconsistencies in selection earlier (again not regarding a specific player) which is irresponsible.

This is very poor on More's part.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I am hearing from some quarters that Ganguly might go to court over this.

I know other teams have looked at the future discarding some one. But a player can always come back if he decides to play on and perform. recent example D.Martyn

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Pratyush said:
This is about Kiran More essentially. How can he say the selection committee has shut th door completely on player x player despite what he may do in the future?

If Ganguly decides to play it is his right. I agree with you. To rule out any player, despite his age doesn't speak highly on the selection committee chairman.

I have spoken on the inconsistencies in selection earlier (again not regarding a specific player) which is irresponsible.

More is correct. Do you honestly think there is any point in picking a has been like Ganguly or for that matter Tendulkar over young emerging players like Kaif, Yuvraj, Raina and Venugopal Rao.

India will be a much better team if they pursue a youth policy.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
The media want to sell stories. They ask the same question every press conference, its ridiculous.

If Ganguly doesn't want to retire, and wants to play domestic cricket (even though he's not playing too much lately :ph34r: ) in the hope he may one day be selected again, then so be it. However the day he comes out and officially hangs up his boots I'm sure the true Indian cricket fans will applaud what he did for India as a cricketing nation.

I'll never forget his batting in the late 90s/early 2000s either. He was easily one of the best ODI batsman in the world in that 2-4 year period. Would dominate attacks almost every game alongside Sachin. What he brought to the team as captain following the match-fixing disgrace is self-explanatory, and I'm sure will always be appreciated.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Pratyush said:

To be honest, he mentioned that he wants to try out youngsters. The Aussie selectors said and DID the same thing with STeve Waugh and Michael Bevan. And,if I am informed correctly, Bevan apparently scored trucks of runs in the very next season and yet the selectors didn't really pick him.

I think More has clarified this thing so that we (including Sourav) can move on. He can play Ranji if he wishes too, but it seems that at least for the next year, Sourav is done and dusted.

My worst nightmare is that Pawar camp loses the board elections next year and DAlmiya comes back and brings back Sourav RIGHT before the WC. I am really worried if that were to happen. India will have NO chance in the WC.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Salamuddin said:
More is correct. Do you honestly think there is any point in picking a has been like Ganguly or for that matter Tendulkar over young emerging players like Kaif, Yuvraj, Raina and Venugopal Rao.

India will be a much better team if they pursue a youth policy.
Two things :-

1. Kiran More had already mentioned this 10 days ago when team was announced for the first test, so no point in issuing another statement basically saying the same thing.

2. Kiran More's policy is not consistent. There are different rules for different people.If he really wants to look at the future then he and his team should have chat with Tendulkar, Laxman and Kumble.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
When Tendulkar and Laxman start averaging <30 against non-minnow teams, and Kumble stops winning us games (forgotten the SL series already?) then they'll be dropped. I mean 2 of those have already been kicked out of the ODI team, whilst the other is still scoring runs in that form and is not to mention one of the best players in ODI history, so you can't drop him.

Last edited:

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Jono - I didn't suggest dropping, I just said that selector should have a chat with them and tell them about their performance (Laxman in last 15 testgs averages 31.7, Tendulkar 32.23) against non-minnows. It's not really that outrageous suggestion.

And no I haven't forgotten about Anil's performance against SriLanka, Anil will be 36 in few months, so he cant be our future , can he ?

adharcric

International Coach
Sanz said:
And no I haven't forgotten about Anil's performance against SriLanka, Anil will be 36 in few months, so he cant be our future , can he ?
Piyush Chawla is the future, but he's not ready to step into Kumble's boots ... he can be tried as the 2nd spinner. We have more-than-adequate competition for Ganguly in the middle-order (yuvi, kaif, raina) which is why we can afford to look to the future. The immediate future isn't as bright in the spin department, but Chawla needs to be brought in very soon so he can be a regular by the end of the year.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
adharcric said:
Piyush Chawla is the future, but he's not ready to step into Kumble's boots ... he can be tried as the 2nd spinner. We have more-than-adequate competition for Ganguly in the middle-order (yuvi, kaif, raina) which is why we can afford to look to the future. The immediate future isn't as bright in the spin department, but Chawla needs to be brought in very soon so he can be a regular by the end of the year.
How do you know Chawla isn't ready? He performed well in the Ranji final too.

Also what are the stats of Bhajji? I would drop him rather than Kumble seeing how dominant Kumble is in India.

adharcric

International Coach
Pratyush said:
How do you know Chawla isn't ready? He performed well in the Ranji final too.

Also what are the stats of Bhajji? I would drop him rather than Kumble seeing how dominant Kumble is in India.
Oh I completely agree with you about dropping Bhajji. I think Chawla might be ready talent-wise, but it's kind of risky to throw in a 17-year old to replace an all-time great, no matter how talented the former is. I'm looking as Chawla as the short-term partner for Kumble and long-term replacement for Kumble. We'll probably see Chawla + Harbhajan/Powar/Mishra a few years down the road. Yes, Bhajji should be dropped because he hasn't been effective in a long time ... maybe he should be given one last chance given his record at Mohali.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Does anyone know what happened to Amit Mishra, the lad from Haryana. I guess he was not ready couple of seasons ago and now no one mentions his name. I think he is still under 25.