• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Science WILL out the human eye!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I simply don't understand the countless commentators who think they know better than the speed-gun! The human eye is more likely to have made a mistake than the scientific instrument is. Much more.
It infuriates me when you see commentators saying "that was a fast ball", then getting the speedometer reading and saying "oh, it was only 83mph - no, the speedo's got it wrong, it had to be faster than that".
Most of the time they're 40 or 50 metres away anyway! The eye can't judge too well from close-up, never mind that far away.
People so often make the mistake of judging on how the batsman reacted - if he looked rushed, the ball must have been faster than if he didn't! How stupid can you get?

archie mac

International Coach
Richard said:
I simply don't understand the countless commentators who think they know better than the speed-gun! The human eye is more likely to have made a mistake than the scientific instrument is. Much more.
It infuriates me when you see commentators saying "that was a fast ball", then getting the speedometer reading and saying "oh, it was only 83mph - no, the speedo's got it wrong, it had to be faster than that".
Most of the time they're 40 or 50 metres away anyway! The eye can't judge too well from close-up, never mind that far away.
People so often make the mistake of judging on how the batsman reacted - if he looked rushed, the ball must have been faster than if he didn't! How stupid can you get?
I must admit, I go by the way the batsman reacts to the ball. Did I read somewhere that full ball register higher than short pitched balls?

sirjeremy11

State Vice-Captain
archie mac said:
I must admit, I go by the way the batsman reacts to the ball. Did I read somewhere that full ball register higher than short pitched balls?
I've heard that. I believe it is basically because a full ball takes one path straight to it's landing point, while a short pitched ball goes into the pitch, then towards the batsman.

Most of the speedgun readings are taken from the time it takes the ball to travel from one end of the pitch to the other, so if it has a shorter path (ie a fuller ball), it will take less time and appear to be faster on the speed gun.

Quite simple!

archie mac

International Coach
sirjeremy11 said:
I've heard that. I believe it is basically because a full ball takes one path straight to it's landing point, while a short pitched ball goes into the pitch, then towards the batsman.

Most of the speedgun readings are taken from the time it takes the ball to travel from one end of the pitch to the other, so if it has a shorter path (ie a fuller ball), it will take less time and appear to be faster on the speed gun.

Quite simple!
Well that does make sense. So what about height? Would a taller bowler register less than a shorter bowler who skids the ball?

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Jungle Jumbo said:
The ball also slows up after pitching, so the shorter the ball, the more it will slow down.
Yes, but the speed is measured as the ball leaves the hand so that shouldn't make a difference.

The ball going more downwards rather than straight towards the batsman might, though I'm not convinced.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Richard said:
What you say is unquestionably true, but there are other factors than a brute "velocity" through the air, which is all the speed gun measures. The examples that come to my mind are Shane Watson & Glenn McGrath. If one were to go simply by the speed gun there is no doubt that (on average) Watson is the faster bowler. However he gets v little bounce or carry so on occasion Gilchrist actually stands up to the stumps when keeping to him. If he tried that with McGrath he'd probably be taking his life in his hands! I'd guess that although Watson is faster through the air, he's actually slower off the pitch.

In the commentary box some of the old pros talk about this-or-that fast-med bowler bowling a "heavy ball". Whilst they're not lightening quick the ball still smacks the bat or the keepers gloves with some force.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The key issue is: there is so much more to speed than speed out of the hand.
To take another example: there's no doubt Stephen Harmison is quicker out of the hand than Andrew Flintoff. Ask pretty much anyone who "hits the bat harder", or who "bowls a heavier ball" (a slightly amateurish phrase, but eventually it'll be phased-out like "an extra yard of pace"), they'll tell you Flintoff. Why? Because Flintoff loses much less pace off the pitch. That's borne-out by the scientific facts, too - look at the (all too rare) graphics showing the pace of the ball as it travels down the pitch. Some pace is lost through the air (that's obviously equal for all bowlers, though it will of course vary according to conditions in the air), but a lot is always lost off the pitch.
Often, the amount of pace not lost off the pitch is far, far more important than the pace out of the hand.
Phrases like "bowl a heavy ball" refer, of course, to the amount of pace lost off the pitch. Like I say, I'm not a fan of them, because they de-scientificise the matter, make it seem a bit mystical and undefinable.
However, the only explanation for shorter balls measuring slower (given that the speed displayed is the first speed measured as the ball leaves the hand) is the difference in direction - shorter balls obviously take a different course to fuller ones. Or it could just be down to misperception. I don't know if there's been a statistical research on the matter.
Judging a ball, however, by the reaction of the batsman remains a stupidity. There are all sorts of reasons why the batsman might be rushed. He might not have picked the ball up instantly. He might have got something in a tangle (pad, wrist, elbow, whatever). Something might have got into his eye just as the ball was about to be delivered, too late to pull away.
The most important point of the matter is that there should be more than one reading. The most informative, for mine, would be three: speed out of the hand; speed off the pitch; time between ball leaving hand and reaching whatever point it hit the bat.
People make speed to simple; yet at the same time they perpetrate pure folly in attempting to know better than the instruments.
As for wicketkeepers standing-up, there are all sorts of factors, aside from the skill of the wicketkeeper. Bounce is obviously a key, added to pace - bowlers getting more bounce are much more awkward to stand-up to than those who don't.
That has far more to do with the Watson-McGrath question, and many similar ones with different bowlers.

shankar

International Debutant
Richard said:
Some pace is lost through the air (that's obviously equal for all bowlers, though it will of course vary according to conditions in the air)
It wouldnt be equal, the drag on the ball increases with its speed.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yes, true, but that'd be the same for two bowlers who both propelled the ball at 87.2mph.
Obviously, though, drag\lack-of-drag is the reason why bowlers bowl faster in South Africa than New Zealand, Australia, England and West Indies.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
archie mac said:
Well that does make sense. So what about height? Would a taller bowler register less than a shorter bowler who skids the ball?
Well a taller bowler will naturally get more speed due to the height at which the ball is released.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
The angle of delivery also makes a difference in speed-gun readings– a more angled delivery will come off a lot slower on that instrument than a relatively straight one.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
BoyBrumby said:
The examples that come to my mind are Shane Watson & Glenn McGrath. If one were to go simply by the speed gun there is no doubt that (on average) Watson is the faster bowler. However he gets v little bounce or carry so on occasion Gilchrist actually stands up to the stumps when keeping to him. If he tried that with McGrath he'd probably be taking his life in his hands!
CD McMillan st Gilchrist b McGrath 37 44 31 3 1

http://aus.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/2004-05/AUS_IN_NZ/SCORECARDS/AUS_NZ_ODI1_19FEB2005.html

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I have seen Gilchrist stand-up to most seamers (even once stood-up to Watson in a Test, for some strange reason), but I never noticed he'd actually got a stumping off one!

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
It was absolute genius that game. McMillan kept charging McGrath as NZ were storming to victory, so Gilly came up to the stumps. The plan worked beautifully.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Wicketkeepers are often too reluctant to come-up to the stumps and, really, if Gilchrist can stand-up to McGrath most people can stand-up to most bowlers.
IMO Boucher standing-up to Pollock was years after it's time.

Swervy

International Captain
Richard said:
What, as in angle on the crease?
I think its the angle to the ground at the moment the ball comes out of the hand...it would appear to me that these speed measuremnts only take into account the horizontal component of the movement...and so a ball that is pitched half way down the track, which may come out of the hand at 95mph, may actually be measured as slower as a ball of yorker length that came out of the hand at 85mph

Armadillo

State Vice-Captain
Jono said:
It was absolute genius that game. McMillan kept charging McGrath as NZ were storming to victory, so Gilly came up to the stumps. The plan worked beautifully.
Did he come up as the bowler was running up? I tried that once in a game and the other team said it was bad sportsmanship. He was out by a mile and the square leg didn't give it.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Swervy said:
I think its the angle to the ground at the moment the ball comes out of the hand...it would appear to me that these speed measuremnts only take into account the horizontal component of the movement...and so a ball that is pitched half way down the track, which may come out of the hand at 95mph, may actually be measured as slower as a ball of yorker length that came out of the hand at 85mph
Ah, you're getting the old and the new mixed-up.
That's why the speed-gun they attempted to use in 1996 (and before) didn't work, measuring only the horizontal speed.
As Paul Allott mentions in Wisden 1999, the breakthrough in 1998 was that they found something that measured horizontal and vertical speed concurrantly.
And the difference has never been as much as 10mph. 2 or 3 at best.