Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Pace Bowler

Tim

Best Pace Bowler

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    I refuse to vote until Agarkar is installed into the poll
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

I voted for Jones, why? Because i fear the notorious "English Whining". If an English bowler isn't voted as the best the Englishmen will be whining as usual.

State Vice-Captain aussie_beater's Avatar
    Put an option of "None of the above" in the poll, and then maybe I would vote.

[Edited on 26/9/2002 by aussie_beater]
    Flames are welcome, but beware of the *Backdraft *

Tim
    so who do you think should be there, keep in mind that they must break 145 k's + regularly.

Originally posted by Tim
    so who do you think should be there, keep in mind that they must break 145 k's + regularly.
    And who set that criteria ? Remember the fastest bowler doesn't necessarily have to be the best.It has been proven umpteen times.

Also your poll does not say whether you are looking only at the current bowlers or looking for a more wide all-time best kinda thing.

Among the current bowlers I would say that there is no dispute that Glenn McGrath is the best.

U19 Vice-Captain
    I guess he's setting the criteria AB

People do make a distinction between fast bowlers, and medium fast bowlers. (and other classes too).
    I guess this post translates to "fast" bowlers.

I'm very very surprised to see Simon Jones on that list. Why not Nantie Hayward when you can have Ntini??
    But questions on the list aside, from the list, it has to be Shoiab Akhtar.

If I could pick someone else, it would be Jason Gillespie. Yes he goes below 145 but he goes above 145 lots of times.
    Doesn't Dilhara Fernando go above 145 often? If so he gets in ahead of Jones, Bond and on par with Ntini.

I don't know Reon King's speeds. But I rate him very highly- would put him behind Gillespie and ahead of all others discussed.
    Cheers:)

Visit http://pub11.ezboard.com/bopinionsunfetteredindianstyle56650

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    I voted for Jones, why? Because i fear the notorious "English Whining". If an English bowler isn't voted as the best the Englishmen will be whining as usual.
    That'll do, please. There's enough flame-bait in other threads without you adding to it.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

U19 Vice-Captain
    Originally posted by Top_Cat
    That'll do, please. There's enough flame-bait in other threads without you adding to it.
    "I refuse to vote until Agarkar is installed into the poll "

Strike you as provocation?
    If that's harmless fun, so is the response.

U19 Vice-Captain
    and may I add

:rolleyes: somehow you missed it.

Originally posted by full_length
    People do make a distinction between fast bowlers, and medium fast bowlers. (and other classes too).
    I guess this post translates to "fast" bowlers.
    Yes and I do that too, but the title of the poll was "pace" bowlers and made me think otherwise before casting my vote.

So yes if its the current crop of "fast" bowlers....Shoaib Akhtar gets my vote.

Tim
    sorry i missed out Jason Gillespie...he would have definately been on the list.
    As far as this poll is concerned it is on "out & out" pace bowlers, there are a number around now,but some are just quick and out of control, some others are quick & have the ability to control their bowling...so who do you think is the best at doing this if they are not on the poll?

I don't think a player like Hayward should be considered because although he is extremely quick..he has no control & I think that is backed up by the fact that S.A hardly pick him.

U19 Vice-Captain
    Yeah. 'pace' usually refers to the whole breed of chaps who swing, seam, and all else doesn't it. It threw me off to start with. Then seeing Simon Jones in there got me thinking

Well, on this: what are the (true) classifications you know of?

Anything can be added to this list?
    Offspinner
    Legspinner
    Left arm 'orthodox' (why not a left leggie?)
    Chinaman

Slow bowler (the Simon 'o Donnel kind)

Swing bowler (not necessary that he can't bowl fast)
    Fast bowler (not necessary that he can't swing!)

The last two are called pacemen I guess.

U19 Vice-Captain
    SA don't pick Hayward because they have a whole host of terrific fast bowlers. They are second only to Pakistan in that sense.
    They would pick Hayward each time they play India. You are right about Hayward having no control though. When he's bowling against us, he'd probably discover it. duh!

Brett Lee is really not much better. Akhtar is. Now let me be a bit carefull about this: Akhtar is one chap who can bowl *very* fast and with relatively good control. You can split his career in two parts. In the first part, he was simply outstanding with amazing accuracy- hardly any wides or unintentional no-balls, and usually on the spot- and then he lost his way a bit. Now I guess he's back to his earlier form.
    It's a general misconception that people build up based on information that he's very fast that he doesnt have much control. That didn't happen when he was playing very well. It happened later.

All these chaps do well against India

I voted for Shane Bond because he doesn't just rely on his pace, he pitches the ball up more whereas Akhtar and Lee get their success only from yorkers and short pitched deliveries...
    It's hard to choose though, I just think that Bond is more consistent.
    But I also think Akhtar is fantastic, just has too many off days.
    Never seen Simon Jones so can't comment on him, Ntini is also good on his day, but is no good in tests really. Did well in the VB series, haven't seen him that good since.
    life's a gift thats why they call it the present

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information