• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket Books

archie mac

International Coach
I don't know if this book has been mentioned already. I have been reading it for the last ew days and it is worth the time in my opinion.

The book is: Bumper by Keith Miller
Yes read that one, with RS Whitington, they wrote a number of books together, I enjoyed them:)

Stefano

School Boy/Girl Captain
I have just finished reading "More Than a Game" by John Major (former Prime Minister). I liked it. Maybe it doesn't go into much details, but it is very enjoyable.

archie mac

International Coach
I have just finished reading "More Than a Game" by John Major (former Prime Minister). I liked it. Maybe it doesn't go into much details, but it is very enjoyable.
Reading that one right now, although I am only 20 pages in, out of 5 how much would you give it?

Stefano

School Boy/Girl Captain
Reading that one right now, although I am only 20 pages in, out of 5 how much would you give it?
There are 2 things you don't have to forget.

1) I am not a cricket expert. I am very interested in the history of the game, but I know very little about it.

2) English is not my first language. Although my English is not bad, I don't have the ability to judge the language.

However... I think that John Major provides very good information about the early history of the game. This book gives a good background on what happened till the early 20th century. Of course, for "professional researchers", this book is not enough; however, for people like me, it is very useful. And I think it is also very well written. I really enjoyed reading it (although English is not my first language).

Mark: 3.5 out of 5.

archie mac

International Coach
There are 2 things you don't have to forget.

1) I am not a cricket expert. I am very interested in the history of the game, but I know very little about it.

2) English is not my first language. Although my English is not bad, I don't have the ability to judge the language.

However... I think that John Major provides very good information about the early history of the game. This book gives a good background on what happened till the early 20th century. Of course, for "professional researchers", this book is not enough; however, for people like me, it is very useful. And I think it is also very well written. I really enjoyed reading it (although English is not my first language).

Mark: 3.5 out of 5.
No worries mate, thanks for that:)

Stefano

School Boy/Girl Captain
Before "More than a Game", I read "Bodyline Autopsy" by David Frith. I am really interested in the history of the game. Which books would you suggest that I should read?

archie mac

International Coach
Before "More than a Game", I read "Bodyline Autopsy" by David Frith. I am really interested in the history of the game. Which books would you suggest that I should read?
Not sure what you are into tbh:unsure:

Try these:

England V Australian 1877-(lots of editions) by David Frith (history of the Ashes)

The Glory Days of Cricket -Ashley Mote (early days of cricket, Hambleton

Alfred Mynn & Cricketers of His Time - Morrah, Patrick

The Summer Game - Haigh, Gideon

Stefano

School Boy/Girl Captain
Hey Archie.

I have just checked some information about the books you have suggested me. All of them seem to be very interested. I think I will buy "Alfred Mynn & Cricketers of His Time". Thank you very much.

Then, I would like to read something about WG Grace and about cricket in Pakistan. Any advice?

archie mac

International Coach
Hey Archie.

I have just checked some information about the books you have suggested me. All of them seem to be very interested. I think I will buy "Alfred Mynn & Cricketers of His Time". Thank you very much.

Then, I would like to read something about WG Grace and about cricket in Pakistan. Any advice?
There have been a couple of fairly recent bios of WG, I enjoyed both very much

Low, Robert _ W.G.

Rae, Simon _ W.G. Grace A Life

I don't know a great deal about Pakistan cricket books tbh:)

Fiery

Banned

Low, Robert _ W.G.

Have you read "Christmas In Rarotonga" by John Wright, archie?

pasag

RTDAS
Archie

I'm currently rereading The Art of Captaincy by Mike Brearley. Is this too old for a review? IMO one of the classics.
Been looking out for that one for a while, can't seem to find it anywhere.

Anyways, read Bradman's bio by Roland Perry, enjoyed it heaps. Definitely recommend it.

neville cardus

International Debutant

Low, Robert _ W.G.

Although Low's prose is far more sensitive, endearing me a lot more to the subject, I have to say that I prefer Rae's (although, admittedly, I'm not that far into it). I'm a shameless nerd, you understand, so the detailed completeness of Simon's work really appeals to me.