• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official Under 19 World Cup Thread***

sirjeremy11

State Vice-Captain
The interesting thing that this tournament (and other age group tournaments) show is that the raw talent is there in more than just the top 8 test countries. The problem must then lie in the development of the players and the infrastructure in the countries. If this were better throughout the world, then you would have to assume that there could be 12 or so truly competitive countries playing cricket. Scary that Kenya doesn't even have a team there...

Blaze

Banned
sirjeremy11 said:
The interesting thing that this tournament (and other age group tournaments) show is that the raw talent is there in more than just the top 8 test countries. The problem must then lie in the development of the players and the infrastructure in the countries. If this were better throughout the world, then you would have to assume that there could be 12 or so truly competitive countries playing cricket. Scary that Kenya doesn't even have a team there...

There might be something in that. Thoughts everyone?

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
argh the match doesn't start till 8.30am tommorrow, whats that about, was hoping for a 5.30 start or something so i could watch an hour before work?

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Tim Southee! he's the next Cairns for sure.

Aside from that, it was pretty much a joke of a performance by the NZ team.

sirjeremy11

State Vice-Captain
Tim said:
Aside from that, it was pretty much a joke of a performance by the NZ team.
Yes, a pretty poor tournament overall from NZ. I do not expect that they will win the plate. It should be South Africa.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Bit of grass on the track but it's ridiculously hot and humid. We need early wickets.

Indian openers looking very very very clueless against the swing and seam from Waters and Nelson.

As I type, Pujara is dropped by Chopra at first slip, diving full to his left. Hard catch, but you know what they say...

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
If I was Huw Waters I'd be crying.This over - 4 4 4 2 4 .

No foot movement and a lot of wild bat swinging. Gaurav Dhiman makes Shahid Afridi look like the epitome of restraint and elegance.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Gaurav Dhiman looks pretty darn good, no footwork but boy can he hit the ball. We need to get some wickets pretty soon or we will be looking down the barrel.

Blaze

Banned
TT Boy said:
Gaurav Dhiman looks pretty darn good, no footwork but boy can he hit the ball. We need to get some wickets pretty soon or we will be looking down the barrel.
I heard he is Sehwag's cousin?

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Hideously ugly to watch. Stand, swing, get lucky. And now he's out, having played one horrendous heave too many. Great catch from Hamilton-Brown.

I'll post the non-biased version shortly.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Blaze said:
I heard he is Sehwag's cousin?

I don’t know about that but as soon as I saw the kid today he instantly reminded me of him, not just the way he bats but his built like him as well. I’m sure one of the Indian members will know if he is related. His also out now (48), nice knock.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Neil Pickup said:
Hideously ugly to watch. Stand, swing, get lucky. And now he's out, having played one horrendous heave too many. Great catch from Hamilton-Brown.

I'll post the non-biased version shortly.

Ugly is Pujara, looks good aganist the slow stuff but aganist are 'pace' (70mph boys) bowlers he looked pretty clueless, feeling at everything outside off stump like the The Hunchback of Notre Dame.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Indian captain Ravikant Shukla won the Premadasa Stadium toss and opted to bat first, aiming to negotiate the early seam and swing movement inevitable on the green-tinged wicket, sending Cheteshwar Pujara and Gaurav Dhiman in against the English pace pair of Mark Nelson and Huw Waters. Pujara was reprieved in the third over by Varun Chopra at slip off Nelson, and despite Waters finding smart seam position and significant movement, the strength and power of Dhiman's bat brought the opening batsman 18 off the Glamorgan swing bowler's third over.

As Dhiman's assault continued, England were forced to turn to spin in the tenth with Graeme White and supersub Nick James - on for Andrew Miller - in harness. White made the breakthrough in his third over, a change of pace from the Northamptonshire left-armer prompting an ugly swat across the line from the opener. The ball, striking the toe, looped up and over the head of Rory Hamilton-Brown at wide mid-on, who sprinted back and dived full length to grasp the opportunity. James, meanwhile, had less good fortune, struggling to control his line and proving expensive.