• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Slip Cordons: Spread vs Orthodox

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Bob Simpson on Cricinfo:

"History, and I am sure the modern computer, would show that first slip takes the most catches followed by the second and the third slips. Yet, because other countries are using spread slips, though without much or perhaps any success, Smith is being influenced by it without understanding the law of averages.

"I don't know who is helping the South Africans with their fielding, but whoever is doing so should examine why so many catches are being spilt."

Now, to me, this is a major case of lamp-posts and drunkards. Of course most catches are taken by first. That's because there's a first in far more often than a second... but how much difference is there between second and third in possible chances offered? What about third and, say wide fourth?

What are your takes on the optimal slip setups?

Langeveldt

Soutie
There is no optimal slip setup, unless a study is done into where the ball most travels when it goes behind square on the offside and a conclusion is reached, you can only really put it down to luck, after all the batsman doesnt intend to hit it there so its under the mercy of the gods..

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Depends what length you're bowling, really - if you wanted an attacking field for someone like Matthew Hoggard, I personally would go with and orthodox 1st-2nd-3rd-4th plus a gully. Whereas if you wanted one for a McGrath, whose natural length is shorter, I'd have three spread (or possibly 1st-2nd-4th), and then two gullies, 'cause then you cover the potential miscued cut, as well. It's all situational really IMO - you've got to look at where you're bowling, but beyond that it's mostly luck.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Simpson's starting to get a bit of the "Neil Harvey's" about him - any time there is a slow news day, head to him and get a few quotes, because he's always got something controversial to spout.

Anyways, I think generally he's right. And even as a bowler, there's nothing worse than seeing balls head to where you'd usually have a fielder, and if not for some fan-dangled attempt by the captain to look like a tactical genius you would have had a wicket!

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
vic_orthdox said:
Simpson's starting to get a bit of the "Neil Harvey's" about him - any time there is a slow news day, head to him and get a few quotes, because he's always got something controversial to spout.
Those blokes are a godsend. :D

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If you go with orthodox and get smacked round the park the captain is going to get criticised...
If you go with spread and the ball goes through the gap then the captain is going to get criticised...

As said before, it is basically down to luck where the ball goes but if the ball does go to someone in the slips you'd still want them to catch it

Dixie Flatline

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I would have thought that the orthodox slips cordon obtained its name because many captains down the years have used the orthodox placement and have found it more successful than any other combination.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Dixie Flatline said:
I would have thought that the orthodox slips cordon obtained its name because many captains down the years have used the orthodox placement and have found it more successful than any other combination.
It was never called anything - other than a 'slip cordon'. If you wanted 2 slips, you had first and second. This sixth or seventh slip nonsense was just called a fine gulley.

Only when the unorthodox fields were employed was there a requirement for the alternative or the 'not unorthodox' - hey presto.

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
I always think when I'm captaining that you should spread to relative to the bowler's pace. Off a quicky in a Test I'd have normal 1-2-3-G, or 1-2-3-G-G, or 1-2-G-G. But off a slower bowler a wider field 1-3-G is probably more likely.

Then again I only really play 20/25/30 overs junior cricket, where normally you have one slip there just to pick up the ball when the keeper fumbles.

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Jungle Jumbo said:
I always think when I'm captaining that you should spread to relative to the bowler's pace. Off a quicky in a Test I'd have normal 1-2-3-G, or 1-2-3-G-G, or 1-2-G-G. But off a slower bowler a wider field 1-3-G is probably more likely.

Then again I only really play 20/25/30 overs junior cricket, where normally you have one slip there just to pick up the ball when the keeper fumbles.
I play 40/45 overs adult cricket and generally the only time we ever have more than 1 slip is when a bowler is clearly on fire, it's swinging wildly or a hat-trick ball...