• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

India-Pakistan series on lines of Ashes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Pawar says it will be bi-annual series on lines of Ashes.

Not clear if its 5 tests per series. If it is, it would be great.

One one day tournament every year in a neutral venue - New Jersey and UAE mentioned.

If this would be an add on to the one day series in home-away basis, it would be a lot of cricket.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Could use a similar historical precedent too regarding a trophy, albeit after burning a couple of houses instead of bails.

Dissector

International Debutant
Given the recent proliferation of trophies I am surprised that there hasn't been one for the India-Pakistan series. Imran-Kapil would be an obvious choice for the name. I think a regular 5-test series would be great. Though they need to prepare more bowler-friendly tracks than the one in Lahore. Otherwise we are back to the bad old days in the mid/late 80's where a result was a rare occurence between a long string of boring draws.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
yeah, Imran-Kapil is cool, but what about the first ever captain of Pakistan, who had played for INdia before? Maybe a decent choice.

Fusion

Global Moderator
Yeah the Ashes structure would work great for a Pak/Ind series. I think the vast majority agree that the two teams are playing too much cricket against each other presently.

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
5 tests every two years would be good. The current 3 tests and 700 ODI's every year's getting a bit boring.

swede

School Boy/Girl Captain
5 tests every 2 years would be great.
It should be the leading series in the world.

But The Lahore pitch suggests they simply dont want to play test cricket. Then the format doesnt matter much.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
swede said:
5 tests every 2 years would be great.
It should be the leading series in the world.

But The Lahore pitch suggests they simply dont want to play test cricket. Then the format doesnt matter much.
It will never be the leading series in the world - I'm afraid that one's taken.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
luckyeddie said:
It will never be the leading series in the world - I'm afraid that one's taken.
Do we really want a thread on Ashes vs India-Pakistan with Richard debating that actually Eng vs RSA is the best?

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Pratyush said:
Do we really want a thread on Ashes vs India-Pakistan with Richard debating that actually Eng vs RSA is the best?
No.

If you can suddenly find another 70 years of tradition to supplement the India v Pakistan encounters, then we can debate the issue - and only then.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
luckyeddie said:
No.

If you can suddenly find another 70 years of tradition to supplement the India v Pakistan encounters, then we can debate the issue - and only then.
Apart from the last Ashes series, the Ashes recently have been poor with a hopeless English team.

If we seriously do want to debate the issue - the greatest series ever we can do it on different levels.

Historically on number of year it has been played and this history of the series Ashes would win.

As far as excitement goes, Aus vs Windies have been pretty awesome in a lot of ocassions as well.

As far as on current/recent excitement levels - India-Pakistan has been great - the history of the two countries (despite the history of the boring draws of 50s-80s and the current test match) and the passion and the cricketing contest is tense, charming and exciting with players giving it every thing knowing the chance of instant recognition.

The India-Pakistan tests are as exciting as the Ashes. I wouldnt put one greater than the other.

Maybe which series you would value most would depend on which country you belong to.

As a cricket fan I love both of them and both of them being competitive as they promise to be for the next few years. I wouldnt like to change that for any thing. :)

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Pratyush said:
Apart from the last Ashes series, the Ashes recently have been poor with a hopeless English team.

If we seriously do want to debate the issue
I don't - go away. :p

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Pratyush said:
No he wouldn't say that, because all SA series should finish 5-0 to SA so it's not much of a competition.

Status
Not open for further replies.