• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

All time NZ XI

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
what would this team look like only players who i would think would be certainties are Hadlee, Crowe, Turner, Sutcliffe, Cairns, Vettori, Parore(probably). Any help would be good.

a massive zebra

International Captain
Stewie Dempster
Glenn Turner
Bert Sutcliffe
Martin Crowe
Martin Donnelly
Chris Cairns
Ian Smith (wk)
Richard Hadlee
Daniel Vettori
Shane Bond
Jack Cowie

12th Man: Andrew Jones or Bruce Taylor

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
pretty good side that...I always forget about Andrew Jones, but he was a quality player. Bruce Taylor was extremely good.

archie mac

International Coach
a massive zebra said:
Stewie Dempster
Glenn Turner
Bert Sutcliffe
Martin Crowe
Martin Donnelly
Chris Cairns
Ian Smith (wk)
Richard Hadlee
Daniel Vettori
Shane Bond
Jack Cowie

I don't know if Shane Bond has done enough in Test cricket to make this all time side.

Where is: John Reid? Or so Collinge and Dempster were both great players, though I know you can't include everyone :)

Blaze

Banned
a massive zebra said:
Stewie Dempster
Glenn Turner
Bert Sutcliffe
Martin Crowe
Martin Donnelly
Chris Cairns
Ian Smith (wk)
Richard Hadlee
Daniel Vettori
Shane Bond
Jack Cowie

Agree with that side, I think Smith will be overtaken by McCullum by the end of his career and Bond still has to prove himself some more in tests before he is a certainty.

It is actually a pretty clear cut side, don't think there are too many positions that can be argued. Dan Vettori might make way for another seamer as he is a pretty average test bowler.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Blaze said:
Agree with that side, I think Smith will be overtaken by McCullum by the end of his career and Bond still has to prove himself some more in tests before he is a certainty.

It is actually a pretty clear cut side, don't think there are too many positions that can be argued. Dan Vettori might make way for another seamer as he is a pretty average test bowler.
I'd have John Wright ahead of Dempster given he scored 12 test centurys and maintained a solid record in a difficult era for batsmen.

Bruce Taylor or J Reid would both be ahead of Vettori on traditional NZ pitches

Blaze

Banned
zinzan12 said:
I'd have John Wright ahead of Dempster given he scored 12 test centurys and maintained a solid record in a difficult era for batsmen.

Bruce Taylor or J Reid would both be ahead of Vettori on traditional NZ pitches

I am comfortable with Dempster. From what I have read he was awesome.

Yeah if the game was played in NZ I would have Bruce Taylor for Vettori as well.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Blaze said:

McCullum is still a long way off Smith in terms of glovemanship.

Dempster, Turner, Crowe, Sutcliffe, Donnelly and Reid would make up my top six.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
well looking at everything i'll have a go at at NZ all-time:

Dempster
Turner
Sutcliffe
Crowe
Donnelly
Reid - Captain & W/Keeper
Cairns
Hadlee
Taylor/Vettori
Bond
Cowie

i would have Reid keeping ahead of smith since it would give the side a better balance.

archie mac

International Coach
aussie said:
well looking at everything i'll have a go at at NZ all-time:

Dempster
Turner
Sutcliffe
Crowe
Donnelly
Reid - Captain & W/Keeper
Cairns
Hadlee
Taylor/Vettori
Bond
Cowie

i would have Reid keeping ahead of smith since it would give the side a better balance.
I know he did keep wicket, but for how many Test Matches? And who will keep when he bowls?

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
archie mac said:
I know he did keep wicket, but for how many Test Matches? And who will keep when he bowls?
Not many tests at all... it was just something he could do if need be.

He was too handy as a bowler to waste as a keeper.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Voltman said:
Not many tests at all... it was just something he could do if need be.

He was too handy as a bowler to waste as a keeper.
fair enough then so if you have Dempster, Turner, Crowe, Sutcliffe, Donnelly and Reid as your top 6 followed by Cairs & Smith you would go for 3 seamers or 2 & Vettori?

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
well going off-topic here since i dont want to make another all-time XI thread, what would a sri lankan one look like?

Jayasuriya
Attapatu
Gurusinha
De Silva
Jayawardene
Ranatunga
Sangakkara
Vaas
??
??
Muralitharan

Ming

State 12th Man
McCullum will get there one day, his glove work is improving all the time. That chance today was a very tough one.

ohtani's jacket

State Vice-Captain
This was Hadlee's take on it (from '96):

Stewie Dampster
Glenn Turner
B Sutcliffe
Martin Crowe
MP Donnelly
John Reid (C)
Richard Hadlee
Bruce Taylor
Ian Smith (WK)
Hedley Howarth
Jack Cowie

archie mac

International Coach
ohtani's jacket said:
This was Hadlee's take on it (from '96):

Stewie Dampster
Glenn Turner
B Sutcliffe
Martin Crowe
MP Donnelly
John Reid (C)
Richard Hadlee
Bruce Taylor
Ian Smith (WK)
Hedley Howarth
Jack Cowie
I think it might be Dempster :p But not a bad side, didnot pick to many contemporaries

a massive zebra

International Captain
Reid was mediocre with both bat and ball.

Yes I know he is a New Zealand legend and was your star player during a period in which you were the Bangladesh of the time, but he would have struggled to make many other test sides, and few would consider Habibul Bashar or Mohammad Rafique among the greatest cricketers, despite their relatively proficient performances in the circumstances.

Blasphemy :mad::mad::mad:

*runs for cover!!* :-O

Last edited:

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
a massive zebra said:
Reid was mediocre with both bat and ball.

Yes I know he is a New Zealand legend and was your star player during a period in which you were the Bangladesh of the time, but he would have struggled to make many other test sides, and few would consider Habibul Bashar or Mohammad Rafique among the greatest cricketers, despite their relatively proficient performances in the circumstances.

Blasphemy :mad::mad::mad:

*runs for cover!!* :-O
Not blasphemy. Just incorrect.