• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England team awarded MBEs

Deja moo

International Captain
2 runs. If Lee and Kasprowicz had got those 2 runs, these awards wouldnt have been given out ..

crickhowell

U19 Vice-Captain
Pratyush said:
Only the English womens cricket team captain was given the OBE while the whole womens team won the Ashes.

Bah.
They probably all got kisses on the cheek from Prince Will instead.

Pretty unfair, they did well and it was their first Ashes in something like 42 years. I think it's mostly down to the lack of popularity the womens game has.

greg

International Debutant
It's always amusing to see non-Brits getting relatively worked up about a set of awards we like to give out for any number of modern and historical reasons. The men'S team winning the Ashes was an event that gripped the nation with thousands locked out of test grounds and Channel 4 securing it's only majority audience share in its history.

The women's "Ashes" was a nice story that only got any coverage because of the men's event.

swede

School Boy/Girl Captain
Nothing wrong with these awards. They are just as always misunderstood.
They were awarded for "services to cricket" not for winning the ashes.

winning was obviously crucial but it wasnt just that.
England knocked over the top side after so many years by attacking them relentlessly in a stunning series, captivating the entire population as never seen before in what was probably the most spectacular series of all time almost reinventing the game of cricket.

Hopefully the ICC are studying this series intensely if they want to take cricket forward, while they must leave to the ECB the "headache" of finding new coaches to the thousands of children that are flooding cricket clubs around the country.

If this isnt services to cricket, what is?

It seems its those, who dont like the awards, who hold them in too much esteem believing they should be near impossible to get. Its not the Victoria cross or something just one of those non-monetary ways of recognising someone and I cant see anything wrong with it.

A richly deserved award and including the entire team is absolutely right.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
swede said:
Nothing wrong with these awards. They are just as always misunderstood.
They were awarded for "services to cricket" not for winning the ashes.

winning was obviously crucial but it wasnt just that.
England knocked over the top side after so many years by attacking them relentlessly in a stunning series, captivating the entire population as never seen before in what was probably the most spectacular series of all time almost reinventing the game of cricket.

Hopefully the ICC are studying this series intensely if they want to take cricket forward, while they must leave to the ECB the "headache" of finding new coaches to the thousands of children that are flooding cricket clubs around the country.

If this isnt services to cricket, what is?

It seems its those, who dont like the awards, who hold them in too much esteem believing they should be near impossible to get. Its not the Victoria cross or something just one of those non-monetary ways of recognising someone and I cant see anything wrong with it.

A richly deserved award and including the entire team is absolutely right.
To be fair, it's not that deep.

Eng won the Ashes, give them an award.

Eng won the WC in rugby, some got an award.

A complete jackass got knighted.

Josh

International Regular
Been a lot of bagging of the recipents of these awards on the radio today.

swede

School Boy/Girl Captain
social said:
To be fair, it's not that deep.

Eng won the Ashes, give them an award.

Eng won the WC in rugby, some got an award.

A complete jackass got knighted.
I think thats my point, it isnt that deep, so why should critics get worked up about it.
Its just a " basic" award for doing something good. fine.

But still,they didnt get because they won the ashes, they got it because they won it and people´s reaction to it. If there had been less interest, no award.

And yes I have no doubt that australians can now spend days on the radio on this, absorbed with british issues as usual, but then nothing wrong with that either, I guess

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
swede said:
I think thats my point, it isnt that deep, so why should critics get worked up about it.
Its just a " basic" award for doing something good. fine.

But still,they didnt get because they won the ashes, they got it because they won it and people´s reaction to it. If there had been less interest, no award.

And yes I have no doubt that australians can now spend days on the radio on this, absorbed with british issues as usual, but then nothing wrong with that either, I guess
TBH, it was either expected or Aus people simply dont care.

swede

School Boy/Girl Captain
I was responding to Josh´s comment about it being on the radio, but good because there is little reason that australians should care.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
swede said:
They must leave to the ECB the "headache" of finding new coaches to the thousands of children that are flooding cricket clubs around the country.
When did this happen?

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
they got awarded for excellent performances, great...having said that, what is the relevance of the obe and the mbe when there is no british empire anymore? :)

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
JASON said:
This despite the Queen being a Woman herself !! :mellow:

The Womens Team won the Ashes after a long hold by the Aussies in Womens ashes as well. Talk about double standards . :huh: Particularly when even team manager of the mens team, and all bar the baggage boy gets OBEs !! :D
I guess that's why she's a QUEEN.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Anil said:
they got awarded for excellent performances, great...having said that, what is the relevance of the obe and the mbe when there is no british empire anymore? :)
The Empire still exists as far as they are concerned, within the confines of England, Scotland, Wales , Northern Ireland, the Channel Islands , the Rock of Gibraltar etc. etc.. :D :D

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Didn't Sir Clive have his knighthood revoked after the Lions tour after they realised he was a fraud?

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
When I saw this, I had to laugh. It really does make a mockery of the whole process.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Why does it?

It's no different to after the Rugby World Cup.

Hopefully there's a 3rd set to come this December.