• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mudhsudhen Singh Panesar ("Monty")

Salamuddin

International Debutant
I think England should pick Mudhsudhen as their second spinner for the tour to India.

He is a very talented bowler who will go far with the right guidance under Fletcher
I think he can be as good as Bhajji and Saqi. What do you guys think ?

Later,
Salamuddin Janissar

UncleTheOne

U19 Captain
He really looked to be falling away a couple of years back but seemed to get back on track for Northants last season. Hopefully Udal will get no where near a plane to India so he may get a chance but then England may also take Loudon as the second spinner.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
I think he'll go to India, but might not play. His terrible batting and fielding need to be improved if he's going to have more of a shot.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
yea his fielding & batting are poor but yea i reckon hey may go to India in place of Udal but he wont play.

Autobahn

State 12th Man
Tell you what, shove him on the A Tour to the west indies where the wickets nowadays can be quite slow and low, and then if does well fly him out to India.

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
He should play. England need a spinner with a positive approach to keep the pressure on after Harmy, Freddie, Hoggy and, uh, Jones-y (:p) have done the initial damage.

And it's not like Giles is winning awards for his fielding, either.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I haven't seen him field, but obviously - especially if you can't bat - you've got to make sure that you're at least an adequate fielder. All it takes is one year of really hard work on your fielding - his county should be held at least partly responsible for that.

open365

International Vice-Captain
If he can bowl well enough then i don't give a monkeys whether he can bat or field.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
open365 said:
If he can bowl well enough then i don't give a monkeys whether he can bat or field.
Exactly, I don't agree with all this "must be able to bat and field" business. You're there to bowl, and you should be picked on your bowling. Batting and fielding is a bonus. Otherwise you get bits-and-pieces players like Collingwood getting picked.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I have to agree with what Vic says. I don't think it's too much to expect someone to be able to field at least. Obviously I can only go by what I've read in the media, but apparently Panesar's attitude drove Rod Marsh to distraction at the national academy.

If Gilo is fit (and by "fit", I mean properly so to be fair to him and the team) he has to play for me. Panesar's 46 wickets @ 21and a half looks fairly impressive on paper, but he does play his home matches on one of the few tracks that are conducive to turn in England (he took 15 @ 29.13 away from Wantage Road) &, if Udal showed us nothing else, his selection warns against picking on form showed in the dear old CC.

If he were to play (assuming he's the sole spinner) it would mean us also having to play Hoggard @ 8, further extending our tail.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Oh I wouldn't pick him for India, my spinner would be Gilo, but my point was you're there to bowl, and the batting and fielding is, to me, a bonus.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
LongHopCassidy said:
He should play. England need a spinner with a positive approach to keep the pressure on after Harmy, Freddie, Hoggy and, uh, Jones-y (:p) have done the initial damage.

And it's not like Giles is winning awards for his fielding, either.
He might not be the most mobile person on earth, but Giles doesn't drop things. He's not first-choice in the gully for no reason at all.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Yeah I was going to say that, the "Wheelie-bin" is a decent gully fielder (though I have seen him drop the odd one, they're few and far between).

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
speaking about Udal he was pretty unfortunate in Pakistan he got some real roads to bowl on whic didn't give him nor Gilo any assistance at all. In India i'm 90% sure that wont be the case, so the selectors may well & give him another chance in India.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
aussie said:
speaking about Udal he was pretty unfortunate in Pakistan he got some real roads to bowl on whic didn't give him nor Gilo any assistance at all. In India i'm 90% sure that wont be the case, so the selectors may well & give him another chance in India.
Well they turned enough for the Pakistani spinners. As I see it, the reason Giles was off colour was this hip thing, and Udal just didn't bowl very well (apart from the odd spell here and there).

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
aussie said:
If they do that I will personally find David Graveney and gouge his eyes out.