• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Statistical comparison between Javed miandad and Sunil Gavaskar

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
SJS said:
1. Gavaskar was technically flawless, well almost flawless. He played both defensively and in the aggressive mode in copybook style. Miandad was more of an innovator. His stance onwards his game was unorthodox. Cricket is a game that is partial to orthodoxy particularly towards top order batsmen when allowing them its equivalent of 'sainthood'
Viv Richards wasnt exactly orthodox. Yet he had more of a following than Miandad.

Also Dravid is technically flawless, almost flawless - yet gets comparatively less acclaim some how.

Stats wise very little would justify putting Gavaskar ahead of Miandad as you said and till a more convincing reason is given either way, I am not convinced.

Miandad had greats even in his own team like Zaheer Abbas who were revered more than him let alone in the world. Ask Pakistanis who is their greatest ever middle order batsman and Miandad may not come out as the clear winner.
Gavaskar also had Vishwanath in the team. Gavaskar himself reckoned Viswhanath was the better batsman of the two!

Beleg

International Regular
His guardian angel, who else? :p

But you are right, factual accuracy is so passe these days...

Xuhaib

International Coach
Another factor that contibutes to Javed's lesser fan following then Gavasker was due to his antics on the feild he was an Andre Nel sort of guy always trying to get under the opposition's skin he was always seen as a "street smart low class foul mouthed Pak*".

Originally Posted by SJS
Ask Pakistanis who is their greatest ever middle order batsman and Miandad may not come out as the clear winner.
I disagree. Miandad is widely acknowledged as our best ever batsman. The only players who might come in to competition are Hanif and Inzi and i have never heard Zaheer being mentioned as our best ever batsman.

Beleg

International Regular
Xuhaib,

Have to agree with SJS's statement. On a Pakistani cricket forum, in a poll conducted to choose the best Pakistani batsman ever, Inzamam beat Miandad by a large margin with a fairly big and varied sample space.

Now obviously, the difference isn't so big either way, but with his recent performances, Inzy is certainly putting merit behind his claim as our best batter.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Beleg said:
Have to agree with SJS's statement. On a Pakistani cricket forum, in a poll conducted to choose the best Pakistani batsman ever, Inzamam beat Miandad by a large margin with a fairly big and varied sample space.
Maybe that is to do with more contemporary followers of the game voting? (I am just guessing here)

Tendulkar would win over Gavaskar if asked by contemporary Indian fans.

I am not debating who the better batsman was - just questioning the wide margin you mentioned.

Beleg

International Regular
Maybe that is to do with more contemporary followers of the game voting? (I am just guessing here)
Sure, to an indeterminable extent it does. But I was merely pointing out that, for whatever reasons, partisian or real, Inzamam seems to be overtaking Miandad in the 'best batsman' race.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Neil Pickup said:
Wasn't that me?
You were one of many ;)
Xuhaib said:
Another factor that contibutes to Javed's lesser fan following then Gavasker was due to his antics on the feild he was an Andre Nel sort of guy always trying to get under the opposition's skin he was always seen as a "street smart low class foul mouthed Pak*".
Didn't Gavaskar, and correct me if I'm wrong and am thinking of someone else, order his team off the field when he got a bad decision whilst down here in Australia?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I think Miandad was a fantastic player. Obviously, he has more competition in world sides from other great middle order batters while Sunny being an opener has lesser competition. That is all there is to it.

Fusion

Global Moderator
I have allways thought that though Miandad is considered a great player by many, he's still underrated when picking the "greatest" of greats, if that makes any sense. SJS, you hit on many reasons as to why Miandad is usually rated below Gavaskar. It doesn't explain all of it though. For some reason, Miandad is just not given as great acclaim as others like Gavaskar with similar stats. Oh well. For my money, Miandad is certainly one of the greatest of all time.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Fusion said:
I have allways thought that though Miandad is considered a great player by many, he's still underrated when picking the "greatest" of greats, if that makes any sense. SJS, you hit on many reasons as to why Miandad is usually rated below Gavaskar. It doesn't explain all of it though. For some reason, Miandad is just not given as great acclaim as others like Gavaskar with similar stats. Oh well. For my money, Miandad is certainly one of the greatest of all time.
Here are some more reasons :-

In Australia :-

Gavaskar - 51.11 in 19 innings with 5 centuries
Miandad - 38.07 in 28 innings with 2 centuries

In WI :-

Gavaskar - 70.20 with 7 centuries in 24 innings
Miandad - 33.75 with 2 centuries in 12 innings.

AWAY Performances :-

Gavaskar has 18 100s, 22 50s in 60 tests (106 innings) with an avg. 52.11
Miandad has 9 100s, 26 50s in 64 tests (103 innings) with an avg. 45.80

a10khan

School Boy/Girl Captain
Tom Halsey said:
Because if he ever was, there was usually a riot or something. So umpires simply didn't give him out. I believe he never got given out LBW in Pakistan in Test cricket.
Lets not start an umpiring row here. West Indian, English and Aussie umpires were as biased as the ones in India or Pakistan or any other country. All of them were consistently pathetic, and players from all countries benefitted from that in their own backyards.

a10khan

School Boy/Girl Captain
Sanz said:
Here are some more reasons :-

In Australia :-

Gavaskar - 51.11 in 19 innings with 5 centuries
Miandad - 38.07 in 28 innings with 2 centuries

In WI :-

Gavaskar - 70.20 with 7 centuries in 24 innings
Miandad - 33.75 with 2 centuries in 12 innings.

AWAY Performances :-

Gavaskar has 18 100s, 22 50s in 60 tests (106 innings) with an avg. 52.11
Miandad has 9 100s, 26 50s in 64 tests (103 innings) with an avg. 45.80
And What are u exactly trying to prove here? Yes Sunny did better in Aus n WI due to his superior technique, but thats just one aspect of his batting. Sachin record against the 90s bowling attack of Pakistan (Wasim, Waqar, Aaqib, Mushtaq) is mediocre as well, what would you have to say abt that? He still was the best batsman of the 90s, or wasn't he?

Look, Sunny n Javed are both legends in their own rights. But we shdn't go abt bad-mouthing one for the other. I'm not saying this in the context of ur post, but generally...

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Beleg said:
Xuhaib,

Now obviously, the difference isn't so big either way, but with his recent performances, Inzy is certainly putting merit behind his claim as our best batter.
I love Inzi to death, but how could he possibly beat Miandad by a huge margin? The two of them are the best that came out of Pakistan. Statistically, Inzamam is better. That said, you cannot possibly forget two feats by Miandad.

• 281 run stand with Asif Iqbal on test debut against NZL when Pakistan were 55/4 with Zaheer Abbas and Mushtaq Muhammad back in the pavillion. JM scored 163.
  • Two words: magic sixer!

As Pratyush said, the poll must've been voted upon by contemporary cricket fans.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
a10khan said:
And What are u exactly trying to prove here? Yes Sunny did better in Aus n WI due to his superior technique, but thats just one aspect of his batting. Sachin record against the 90s bowling attack of Pakistan (Wasim, Waqar, Aaqib, Mushtaq) is mediocre as well, what would you have to say abt that? He still was the best batsman of the 90s, or wasn't he?

Look, Sunny n Javed are both legends in their own rights. But we shdn't go abt bad-mouthing one for the other. I'm not saying this in the context of ur post, but generally...
Just pointing few of many reasons why Sunny Gavaskar is regarded as one of the best batsmen ever. If I had to select two batsmen from Subcontinent, Gavaskar would be no. 1 and Miandad would be my No. 2 above the likes of Dravid, SRT etc. So relax I wasn't trying to badmouth Miandad in anyway.

As for Sachin's record against Pak, well he played only 3 test matches in 90s against Pak, he did pretty well to score one of the best centuries ever, he was playing well in Kolkata test before he got a freak delivery from Akhtar in 1st innings and involved in a freak runout in teh second innings.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Fusion said:
Oh yes. I agree entirely.

I dont think Miandad was a lesser batsman than Gavaskar. I never said so and have never thought so having seen both of them through the entire length of their careers..

I was just listing MY views on what MIGHT BE the possible reasons for Gavaskar being RATED HIGHER which he is by most cricket writers and commentators whether we agree with it or not. The reasons may be one or more of the ones I gave or could be some others. :)

Xuhaib

International Coach
Originally Posted by SJS
When Gavaskar settled down, he looked like he was never going to get out. He was the immovable object. Miandad also played long innings but he kept the bowlers interested. His style made him look more vulnerable (a fallacy as many bowlers found out) and the bowler was more frustrated by the sheer audacity of the man rather than the impossibilty that the task of bowling to Gavaskar must have looked like (except during a couple of series against Imran)
SJS,

I have heard a lot about this contest but unfortunatley it happened before i was born so never saw it. Please can u give a brief account on how special it was.

Fusion

Global Moderator
Xuhaib said:
SJS,

I have heard a lot about this contest but unfortunatley it happened before i was born so never saw it. Please can u give a brief account on how special it was.
I'd be interested in hearing this as well. If I'm not mistaken, then Imran rated Gavaskar as the best batsman he faced (or at the very least, one of the best). That's a tall compliment, considering who made it!