• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who deserves to be the CW Cricketer of the year for 2005?

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
Cricketer of the Year: Shane Warne breaking the world record for wickets in a calendar year. Numerous injuries and bans could have ended his career but he bounced back and on several occasions was the only bowler who looked like getting a wicket.

New comer of the year: Pietersen just pips and Dhoni on basis of match-winning ability. Pietersen's produced some incredible knocks against South Africa, Australia and Pakistan probably the three best attacks that an Englishman can face. Came good when the pressure was on in the Ashes and showed how much of a dominant force he is. Hussey's made two great hundreds against a sub-standard attack and has been untouchable in the one-day game. Coming in late in the order hasn't had a chance to play any huge knocks but the NatWest final and the 3rd ODI, neither of which resulted in a victory. Dhoni's been just as good in the shorter form of the way but hasn't played enough test cricket to warrant a place.

Innings of the Year Ponting's 150 to save the test at Old Trafford was simply brilliant and couldn't have done more to save the match. Extreme pressure with his captaincy under scrutiny came good when the team really needed it. But the award goes to Mohammad Ashraful for a sensational run-a-ball hundred in a perfectly timed runchase to beat the world-champions against all odds. Very good batting in building a partnership with Bashar before he let lose, played some great innovative shots and produced the biggest upset in cricket history against a bowling attack of such calibre. Even more incredible considering his form in the tour prior to that knock.

Bowling performance of the year: McGrath at Lord's. As close to a perfect spell as you can get. Nothing else comes close to rivalling it.

ClownSymonds

U19 Vice-Captain
Cricketer of the Year: Shane Warne

Runners up: Inzamam-ul-Haq, Ricky Ponting, Jacques Kallis, Andrew Flintoff

Newcomer of the Year: MEK Hussey

Runner up: MS Dhoni

Innings of the Year: Ricky Ponting's at Old Trafford

Test Innings of the Year: Ricky Ponting's at Old Trafford

Bowling performance of the year (ODIs): Don't Know

Bowling Performance of the year (Tests): Warne in the Ashes

Last edited:

Beleg

International Regular
Cricketer of the Year: It's very difficult for me to choose one out of Inzy, Flintoff and Warne. If pressed however, I'll probably go with Shane Warne.

Newcomer of the Year: MEK Hussey

Innings of the Year (among those I watched): Flintoff's 50 to save the second test vs Pakistan and Inzy's hundred something against India. Afridi's century on the Indian tour also comes close because of its sheer exhilararity.

Bowling Performance: Undecided.

Robertinho

Cricketer Of The Year
Cricketer of the Year: Shane Warne
Runners up: Flintoff, Ponting

Newcomer of the Year: Kevin Pietersen
Runners up: Hussey, Dhoni, de Villiers

Innings of the Year: Tie between Ponting's 156 & Pietersen's 158

Bowling performance of the Year: Shane Warne during the Ashes
Runner up: Flintoff bowling unchanged for 10-15+ overs

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Cricketer of the year: Shane Warne
New comer of the year: Mike Hussey edging out Pietersen, de Villiers, Dhoni and Akmal
Innings of the year: Lara's 200 against Australia or Mohammad Yousuf's 200 against England (despite early let off)
Bowling performance of the year: McGrath at Lords.

ohtani's jacket

State Vice-Captain
Cricketer of the Year: Andrew Flintoff

Newcomer of the Year: Mike Hussey

ODI Innings of the Year: Shahid Afridi's 102 off 46 balls.

Test Innings of the Year: Kevin Pietersen's 158 at the Oval, although Younis Khan's 267 in the third Test against India deserves some props..

Bowling performance of the year (ODI's): McGrath's 5/27 to win the VB Series.

Bowling Performance of the year (Tests): Hoggard's 7/61 at Johannesburg.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
luckyeddie said:
Deserved repeating....

:D
Well really, which of them are unreasonable? Freddie is the only real competition for Warne in my mind, Pietersen and Rudolph for Ponting's innings, and perhaps Bond for McGrath (assuming we are talking individual bowling efforts only) and KP for Hussey... but certainly I think all the Australian picks can be justified.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Cricketer of the Year for me is a tie between Flintoff and Inzamam, not just for their performances, but for their contributions to their respective nations. Flintoff was the single biggest factor in England's Ashes win, which led to a restructured Aussie team which is being proven to be not invincible after all. Inzamam has led from the front with the bat moreso than any other batsman, or captain, all year and he has led the team well, particularly with his handling of Shoaib.

Newcomer of the Year goes narrowly to Hussey. Dhoni would be a very close 2nd.

ODI Innings of the Year is easy for me...Dhoni and that 183*. Nothing else comes close.
Test Innings of the Year would go to Rudolph's 102* for me. Ponting played magnificently in that 156 but in terms of the overall impact of that innings on the series, it wasn't that significant whereas Rudolph seems to have instilled a new spirit in the South Africans and they're in a position now where they could pull off the impossible and win a series in Aus...still unlikely though.

ODI bowling performance of the year is easily Bond's 6/14....absolutely devastating.
Test bowling performance of the year would narrowly go to McGrath at Lord's..although Shoaib, Murali and Kaneria deserve special mention.

Hazza

U19 Cricketer
Cricketer of the year: I can't decide between Warne and Flintoff. Both have made fantastic contributions to thir teams in the last year- they'd share the trophy for me.
New comer of the year: Pietersen- he's played a few wonderful innings and deserves his place in the England squad.
Innings of the year: Pietersen's in the last test of the Ashes series
Bowling performance of the year: McGrath at Lords- he was unplayable.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hussey's 100 today sews up the newcomer award for mine.

Only question is whether this 100 should also be innings of the year.

andyc

social said:
Hussey's 100 today sews up the newcomer award for mine.

Only question is whether this 100 should also be innings of the year.
Yeah, it'd be hard pressed for people to vote against him now

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Cricketer Of The Year- Shane Warne/ Andrew Flintoff. They were both close to being Man of the series for the Ashes and combined with their other performances it's hard to choose between them so a tie.

Newcomer Of The Year- Mike Hussey. Has looked absolutely brilliant and has been defiant when the going goes rough as shown against the WI and now against SA.

Innings Of The Year - Pietersen's innings in the last Test of the Ashes just edges out Lara's double century for sheer importance in context of the team performance.

Bowling Performance Of The Year - McGrath's first innings exploits in the 1st Ashes Test. Pure excellence. Bravo's 7 wickets against Australia was good also.

a10khan

School Boy/Girl Captain
Cricketer of the Year: Warne, Flintoff and Inzy all come to mind. But I would go with Inzy. There hasn't been one crisis situation where he has failed to deliver. As good as Pak is now, the batting still rises and falls with Inzamam and in every win he's played part. Also had a great C&U series where he scored heavily (what 4-5 50's in a row) proving that he CAN play the Australians in their own backyard.

Newcomer of the Year: Hussey, KP, Akmal n Dhoni. But I'd give it to Hussey. On the cricket field, The guy looks like a million bucks. There is nothing he can't do. The way he's customized himself to both test and one day cricket is quite remarkable. He's gonna do well for Australia until the 2011 World Cup.

ODI Innings of the Year: Shahid Afridi's 102 in 48 i think it was - The Beast at his savage best. Also, Vincent 100 odd in a losing cause against Aus, Symonds 156 in the same game and ofc Dhoni's magnificent 183* also come to mind.

Test Innings of the Year: Rudolph's 7-hour vigil. Although Younis Khan's 267 and Inzamam's 184 in the 3rd test when Pak was 2/7 at one stage also deserves a special mention. And yeah, Lara's 200 was also brilliant.

ODI bowling performance of the year: Bond's 6/14 against India and Shoaibs 5-for in the recently concuded series against England.

Test bowling performance of the year: Shoaib's devastation of England in the 3rd test, McGrath @ Lord's stand out.

social

A B De Villiers should also be a contender for newcomer of the year.

He's only 21 and has had an outstanding year.