Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bob Willis -Cricket brain or attention seeking fool?

Cricket Web Staff Member luckyeddie's Avatar
    Target Champion! Stuarts Xtreme Skateboarding Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by PY
    Lovely turn of phrase but could we avoid the bad language please.
    Dead right.

I hate it when people say things like 'bat' on a public message board.
    Nigel Clough's Black and White Army, beating Forest away with 10 men

Cricket Web Staff Member luckyeddie's Avatar
    Target Champion! Stuarts Xtreme Skateboarding Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by greg
    Terrible as a commentator, brilliant in his new role of studio "analyst".
    I agree whole-heartedly.

5 minutes of Bob every couple of hours (mid-session drinks intervals etc) is absolutely perfect - just enough time to make a cup of tea.

International Regular chris.hinton's Avatar
    i would not know i am at work

Cricketer Of The Year SirBloody Idiot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PY
    Lovely turn of phrase but could we avoid the bad language please.
    I thought the swear filter would filter it out.

It has to be said most of the commentators in world cricket these days absolutely suck. They just state the obvious and don't really make the game anymore interesting. Its better off watching the game on mute in most games. My most hated commentors are: 1. Aamir Sohail 2.Navjot Sidhu (Doesnt commentate anymore i guess) 3. Waqar Younis 4. Ian Botham 5. David Lloyd
    Willis to be honest is not that bad in terms of controversial or stupid remarks but is just plain boring.

PY
    Quote Originally Posted by SirBloody Idiot
    I thought the swear filter would filter it out.
    Not sure why it didn't to be honest mate.
    A True Champion - Bob. Rest in peace. 15/04/06
    "People today have too big a devil and too small a God"

- Stephen Currie

"The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?" Psalm 27:1

Cricketer Of The Year SirBloody Idiot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Run like Inzy
    It has to be said most of the commentators in world cricket these days absolutely suck. They just state the obvious and don't really make the game anymore interesting. Its better off watching the game on mute in most games. My most hated commentors are: 1. Aamir Sohail 2.Navjot Sidhu (Doesnt commentate anymore i guess) 3. Waqar Younis 4. Ian Botham 5. David Lloyd
    Willis to be honest is not that bad in terms of controversial or stupid remarks but is just plain boring.
    I'm a big Bumble fan. Willis' makes stupid remarks whenever he opens his mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by Run like Inzy
    How on Earth can anyone hate David Lloyd? He's such a champ. The way he embraces the culture of any place he tours is admirable. I still remember him discussing the donkeys he saw in Pakistan, and whenever he talks about how he'd like some of the food they're selling late in the day. Sanjay Mandrekar always has to correct him about what the food really is.

Added to that he doesn't often speak crap, and when he expresses his opinion of what he thinks about a certain tactic or decision in the game, he doesn't say it like its gospel.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend honestbharani's Avatar
    Willis is good. Picture this, on a saturday afternoon with rain around and you have nothing to do, wanna sleep but cannot because you only woke up at 11 AM... All you need to do is turn on the TV, watch England play someone and Willis gets on and "Good morning and welcome......."zzzzzzz .... You doze off.
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

Pinball Champion!
    What I hate is that there are thousands of more talented/interesting commentators/pundits who would do anything to sit in Willis's place
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

Cricket Web Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    The filter didn't pick up those specific four letters had to be removed from mass filter, or else we couldn't talk about the Sri Lankan seam bowler MKGCP Lakshitha. So now it just picks up the four letters on their own.

The solution? Don't use them at all!
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

Cricket Web Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono
    How on Earth can anyone hate David Lloyd? He's such a champ. The way he embraces the culture of any place he tours is admirable. I still remember him discussing the donkeys he saw in Pakistan, and whenever he talks about how he'd like some of the food they're selling late in the day. Sanjay Mandrekar always has to correct him about what the food really is.

Added to that he doesn't often speak crap, and when he expresses his opinion of what he thinks about a certain tactic or decision in the game, he doesn't say it like its gospel.
    And he has a good accent, and is also highly excitable. Love 'im ter bits.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Pickup
    The filter didn't pick up those specific four letters had to be removed from mass filter, or else we couldn't talk about the Sri Lankan seam bowler MKGCP Lakshitha. So now it just picks up the four letters on their own.

The solution? Don't use them at all!
    What about S****horpe?
    Cricket Web's current Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"Rory Burns wafted and whooshed, hit a few, edged a few more and batted at times with all the graceful serenity of a man trying to force his way head-first through a privet hedge." - Barney Ronay on the Surrey opener's maiden test ton

International Debutant SpaceMonkey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono

Couldnt have put it better myself! he adds a bit of humour to commentary which is always good. Not to forget he is also an ex-Professional Umpire and ex-England Coach which gives him more credibility than just been an ex-player. He works best with good cricketing commentators i think, they can get down to talking about the cricket and david can go off on one. Perfect combo!

International Vice-Captain open365's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyeddie
    Yes, but Bob got one thing right - Rikki Clarke is the future of English cricket.

TBH,i don't mind Willis as much as other people seem to,i like the way he's not afraid to say something intresting or different but he goes over the top and a lot of the time he's just plain wrong.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information