• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Favourite Matches of all Time

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Slats4ever said:
that was an amazing game thje bevo one... does nyone know when the tradition of the new years test in sydney began?

cos it can't have been in play this season.
I think it was once they separated the ODI and Test seasons. Before that, there used to be the New Years Day ODI game in Sydney.

Shounak

Banned
Yeah definitely that match against the Windies where Bevo hit Harper for a four of the last ball to win. My fingers were stumps after that match..

Although one match I absolutely loved was the ODI with India v Australia in Sydney in January last year. Don't have the scorecard but it was the rain shortened match where Binga hit Balaji for a 6 in the last over..

That was truly gripping stuff. Bill Lawry's commentary made it even more exciting. I absolutely loved that match, even though India lost..

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Some matches which arent my favourites:

South Africa vs England - World Cup 1992 semi final
South Africa vs West Indies - World Cup 1996 quarter final
South Africa vs Australia - World Cup 1999 semi final
South Africa vs Sri Lanka - World Cup 2003

ramkumar_gr

U19 Vice-Captain
Greatest test:

Calcutta test where Laxman made 281.

Greatest ODI:

Benson and Series ODI match between India and WI in 1991. It was a tie where both teams made 126. It was nothing shot of a thriller.

Last edited:

Woody_cloudofsm

School Boy/Girl Captain
VVS the greathest man who ever lived an 100 he scored was always a joy to watch not least of all his maiden 167 at sydney in a lost cause. i was there in the members will never forget it best live innings ive ever seen.

Quater final 96 Chris Harris in Madras an absoloute enigma however his innings wasnt good enough for a win for the black caps. a wonderful innings by mark waugh ensued.

Lara at the wacca requiring like nearly 10 an over went mad with marlon amuels i remember long tom moody coping it hard that day unbelievable win for the windies.

South africa and newzealand at the gabba sa made 300 then cairsns parore and nash went mad they needed 3 of the last ball nash held out to klusener on theboundary anyone remember??

ramkumar_gr

U19 Vice-Captain
Woody_cloudofsm said:
VVS the greathest man who ever lived an 100 he scored was always a joy to watch not least of all his maiden 167 at sydney in a lost cause. i was there in the members will never forget it best live innings ive ever seen.

Quater final 96 Chris Harris in Madras an absoloute enigma however his innings wasnt good enough for a win for the black caps. a wonderful innings by mark waugh ensued.

Lara at the wacca requiring like nearly 10 an over went mad with marlon amuels i remember long tom moody coping it hard that day unbelievable win for the windies.

South africa and newzealand at the gabba sa made 300 then cairsns parore and nash went mad they needed 3 of the last ball nash held out to klusener on theboundary anyone remember??
the 96 chennai match you had mentioned was simply fantastic. jus could not believe harris knock went in vain. It was a gem from Chris Harris.

Woody_cloudofsm

School Boy/Girl Captain
i know man how goood was lee germons captaincy to send him up the order germon himself played a handy innings that game. i think harris has been wasted his whole carrer at 6 7 and 8 he could have played test cricket and averaged in the high 30's if given an exact role and perasisted wityh. boasts a first class average of nearly 50 with over 10000 runs.

ramkumar_gr

U19 Vice-Captain
Woody_cloudofsm said:
i know man how goood was lee germons captaincy to send him up the order germon himself played a handy innings that game. i think harris has been wasted his whole carrer at 6 7 and 8 he could have played test cricket and averaged in the high 30's if given an exact role and perasisted wityh. boasts a first class average of nearly 50 with over 10000 runs.
You are right. Lee Germon made 80 plus in that match.

Harris is a very underrated player. He got very less chances in test cricket. He would have been certain a better bet than Craig Mcmillan in tests.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
ramkumar_gr said:
the 96 chennai match you had mentioned was simply fantastic. jus could not believe harris knock went in vain. It was a gem from Chris Harris.
I agree....I remember that game well !!!! We (NZ) had just lost 3 early wickets Spearman, Astle and Fleming and Germon the captain promoted both himself and Harris......Me and my mate just laughed thinking they were the two worst batsmen to have coming in, then came possibly the most unlikely partnership in W.C history....Germon and Harris took to the Aussies in innings neither had ever played before and on the biggest stage. Particularly Harris....who never again repeated an innings even close to that!!!

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
This was an exceptional match involving NZ & South Africa at Brisbane in January 1998 for the Carlton and United Series.

South Africa batted first and smashed 300. Many thought NZ were well out of it, but it could down to the last ball where NZ needed something like 5 runs..Dion Nash smashed the ball high out to deep long off, where Klusener took a catch on his tip-toes right on the boundary so South Africa won by 2 runs. Considering at one stage NZ were 5/97. One could be forgiven for walking away from the tv!

Absolutely brilliant match, i'll never forget it.

http://www.cricinfo.com/link_to_dat...RNEYS/CUODS//NZ_RSA_CUODS_ODI7_09JAN1998.html

Last edited:

Snippie

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Pratyush said:
Some matches which arent my favourites:

South Africa vs England - World Cup 1992 semi final
South Africa vs West Indies - World Cup 1996 quarter final
South Africa vs Australia - World Cup 1999 semi final
South Africa vs Sri Lanka - World Cup 2003
Did you have to remind us of THAT curse! :dry: We can just wonder what will happen in the next WC 8-)

As for my favourites, lets see:

Recent one day against WI, thought we were completely out of it, but Langeveldt thought differently!

England in South Africa Beginning of 2000 Just some inspiring hitting by Cullinan and Kallis. Absolutely brilliant.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
FaaipDeOiad said:
Greatest ODI for me was the 1999 WC semi-final between Australia and South Africa.

The greatest test I've seen... is very hard, but I'd probably say Edgbaston 2005 comes pretty close.

Australia vs India 2001 and the 2005 Ashes compete well.
That's what I would've said.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Snippie said:
Did you have to remind us of THAT curse! :dry: We can just wonder what will happen in the next WC 8-)

As for my favourites, lets see:

Recent one day against WI, thought we were completely out of it, but Langeveldt thought differently!
It always pops up in my head!

Also that over was absolute gold.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Tim said:
This was an exceptional match involving NZ & South Africa at Brisbane in January 1998 for the Carlton and United Series.

South Africa batted first and smashed 300. Many thought NZ were well out of it, but it could down to the last ball where NZ needed something like 5 runs..Dion Nash smashed the ball high out to deep long off, where Klusener took a catch on his tip-toes right on the boundary so South Africa won by 2 runs. Considering at one stage NZ were 5/97. One could be forgiven for walking away from the tv!

Absolutely brilliant match, i'll never forget it.

http://www.cricinfo.com/link_to_dat...RNEYS/CUODS//NZ_RSA_CUODS_ODI7_09JAN1998.html
Correction.........NZ needed 7 off the last 2 balls........Nash moved to offstump against Pollock and played a lap sweep which looked like it cleared the boundry for 6...On the replays they decided in hit the rope thus was 4. 3 were needed off the last ball and 2 to tie...thats when Nash was caught at deep mid-off going for a slog....Amazing game with the lower order playing amazingly for NZ parore, cairns and Nash

whitedazzler

School Boy/Girl Captain
tests

aus v eng at edgbaston 2005 (yea well you know what happened)
aus v nz at adelaide 2001 (bad umpiring cost nz the game)
ind v aus 2nd test 2001 (laxman and harbajan magic)

odis

nz v rsa 2004 wellington (it was a 30 over match or something)
nz v aus 2nd odi in australia 2004 (kyle mills and vettori nearly won it from nowhere)
aus v rsa world cup semi final 1999
nz v zim 1998 (first icc knock out tournament 4 runs to win of the last ball and harry comes through)

SquidAU

First Class Debutant
So many to choose from.....

Tests

The devastation of Edgbaston 2005
The elation of Kingston 1994/95
The grittiness of Sydney 2003/04

ODI's

Bevo's matches - Sydney 1995/96, Melbourne 2001/02 and WC 2003 vs Poms and NZ!
Warne's match - Edgbaston 1999

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I'll choose 3 ODIs and 3 tests because I can't choose one of each :p

Tests:
- India vs. Australia, Kolkata 2001: VVS Laxman's genius. It was like an angel blessed him with some extra power for this test match. Simply breathtaking.
- England vs. Australia, Birmingham 2005: Had it all really. (Except McGrath :p) Absolutely wonderful test which kept everyone to the edge of their seat to the very end.
- West Indies vs. Australia, Barbados 1999: Lara's amazing match-winning knock. What a finish.

ODIs:
- South Africa vs. Australia WC 99: What an amazing match. Warne was superb, and Klusener was absolutely brilliant. His whole WC was amazing, I still remember thinking how Fleming must have felt after Klusener hit him for 4 off the first ball of the final over, and feeling sorry for him. Then the run out happens, and I feel sorry for Klusener. Crazy game cricket is.
- Australia vs. West Indies Sydney 1996: Bevan! That's all that needs to be said.
- England vs. India Lords 2002 NWS Final: Yuvi and Kaif pulling a miracle.