• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Great small team V Great tall team ?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Barney Rubble said:
Ponting is 5ft 7in, for what it's worth.
Really? Even shorter than I thought. How tall is Dravid?

Of the top drawer batters today I'd guess only Hayden, Fat Gray & Inzi are comfortably over 6'. Kallis must be about six foot-ish too tho.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
BoyBrumby said:
Really? Even shorter than I thought. How tall is Dravid?

Of the top drawer batters today I'd guess only Hayden, Fat Gray & Inzi are comfortably over 6'. Kallis must be about six foot-ish too tho.
I was going to suggest Smith, but I guess that's who you mean by 'Fat Gray'? :p

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
zinzan12 said:
Nice idea....but to make it more interesting how about..........

Short Team = 5 foot 8 inches (172 cm) and below

Vs

Tall Team = 6 foot 2 inches (187 cm) and above

With those of more average height - (between 5 foot 9 and 6 foot 1) not being considered for either side.....That would be a REAL Tall Vs Short match up

Its too tough unless you have wisden to find out all the old players heights so I'll just do a Post 80s best Tall Vs Short XI...................

Post 80s Short XI Test side

Gavaskar
Sehwag/ Slater
Tendulkar
Lara
De Silva
Border (c)
Ian Smith (wk)
C Vaas
Murali
D Morrison
D Gough

Note... I'm not entirely convinced that Sehwag, Smith, Morrison and Gough aren't 5 foot 9, but can't think of many fast bowling options....maybe Agarkar ...I definately know that although Marshall was short...he was at least 5 foot 9.....

Pretty useful batting lineup...I'd have Border ahead of De Silva at 6 if he is 5 8 or below

Post 80s Tall XI test side....

Hayden
Gooch/Broad
Lloyd(c)
Inzamam
G Pollock (still playing in the 80s)
Flintoff
C Browne (only WK I can think that may be 6 2 or above)
Vettori (unless Kumble's 6 2 or above)
Akram
Ambrose
Mcgrath

Little doubt the short team has the better batting lineup and the Tall the better bowlers..

Who would win??

Who have I missed ??
Kumble is pretty tall, I would guess he is taller than Vettori.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
honestbharani said:
Kumble is pretty tall, I would guess he is taller than Vettori.
I'm sure Kumble is taller than Vettori. I didn't even realise that Vettori is particularly tall - is he?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
jlo33692 said:
After listening to a debate on the radio last night,i was struck by the fact that the commentators claimed that nearly if not all great players (excluding fast bowlers) are of the small nature,now as in small they set a limit of 6 foot,im not sure what that is in cm around 190 i guess. What i was hoping to do was pick out two teams of the best players (records wise) to play the game. I can start a few for the small team that they had named

Gavaskar
Bradman
Tendulkar
Lara
Border
Marsh
Sobers
G Pollock
v richards
Warne
Murrille
marshall
there were others but at this stage i have forgotten who they named.
Now this is where they really struggled,remembering the talls were to compete against the smalls in the record books as of course there is no way to find the winner as they cant play.
They said that the only ones they had found as a gre in talls were Clive Lloyd,a string of west indian bowlers but this is where they struggled foir tall batsmen.
Can someone help to build a tall side ,must be over 6 foot and be able to keep bat or bowl as it has to take on the smalls. I didnt get to the end of the show as i fell asleep so am now confused as to if they managed to get a tall team?
Anyone?

Talls
C Lloyd
?

:gathering:
Graeme Pollock and Sobers were not small in my dictionary. :)

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Buddhmaster said:
hes 6'4 i think mate
Really? Damn. Never noticed! I guess the specs give him a slightly schoolboyish look, so I didn't think he was very tall.

jamesicus

School Boy/Girl Captain
Lindsay Hassett -- at 5' 6" -- was one of the finest batsmen I ever saw. Everton Weekes -- the elegant West Indies batsman of beautiful stroke play stood about 5' 7".

James

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Some of the tallest cricketers I can remember are :

Garner : 6' 8" (203 cms)
Bruce Reid : 6' 8" (203)
Moody : 6'7" (201)
Ambrose : 6'7" (201)
Tony Grieg : 6'7" (201)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
'Tich' Freeman who took 66 test wickets in 12 wickets for England with his legspin and thousands in first class cricket including some never to be broken records, was probably the shortest ever test cricketer at 5' 2" or 157.5 cms !!

parisa

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Barney Rubble said:
Ponting is 5ft 7in, for what it's worth.

Ponting can’t be that short…I thought he was 5’9”..

But I was wondering who is the tallest player currently playing international cricket…I guess it’s probably Jacob Oram who’s like 6’7”.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
parisa said:
Ponting can’t be that short…I thought he was 5’9”..

But I was wondering who is the tallest player currently playing international cricket…I guess it’s probably Jacob Oram who’s like 6’7”.
Tremlett.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Adamc said:
Really? Damn. Never noticed! I guess the specs give him a slightly schoolboyish look, so I didn't think he was very tall.
Yes no doubt...Vettori is deceptively Tall...you only really realise it when you see him next to other players.....He appears to have a couple of inches (in height :p ) on Fleming who must at least 6'2" if not taller.

In fact in the Super series Vettori seemed at least as tall as Flintoff and Pietersen

jlo33692

U19 Debutant
SJS, You are right in saying they ,sobers and G Pollock are not small,but they were picking a team of 6 foot or smaller,I dont know the heights but i guess they did,Anyways We will go for ZinZans way and have the smalls against the talls on his heights, Does anyone know where we can find players height? as for Ponting i would be very surprised if he got near 5 foot 8 as he is a shorty ,like tendulkar,BTW who is the smallest and tallest playing today, Dont forget a lot of players play ODI and have not played test cricket as yet for the purpose of tall and smallest today in cricket.
Would have to be Murrili,Tendulakr,Ponting,,,I tell you what i thought that Vaas was a tall ,i would have picked him to be about 6"2 ish,that is amazing if he is so short,like marshall not many blokes around that height that bowled like him,an outstanding cricketer and i would put him as a champion.
Can we also start a team of telly tubbies,Players who have at one point or another been a tubby, i will try and pick an aussie side of telly tubbs,or Stocky built blokes.

Taylor
Stackpole
Boon
Border

Marsh
Gilmore
Warne

Nup i give up,hehehe need help maybe just a world side of best porkers ever
in would go Gatting,Botham,Inziman,Lara,who has put on a ton of weight and its showing in his cricket IMO. Now need more help.
The short players issue was really to say the shorts were the better players in test cricket,with all the bradmans and Borders ,lara,Tendulkar ,gavaskar etc,all short and dominant in record books.
Must be something about being short and being a batsman huh,,, :punk:

Last edited:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
jlo33692 said:
SJS, You are right in saying they ,sobers and G Pollock are not small,but they were picking a team of 6 foot or smaller,I dont know the heights but i guess they did,Anyways We will go for ZinZans way and have the smalls against the talls on his heights, Does anyone know where we can find players height? as for Ponting i would be very surprised if he got near 5 foot 8 as he is a shorty ,like tendulkar,BTW who is the smallest and tallest playing today, Dont forget a lot of players play ODI and have not played test cricket as yet for the purpose of tall and smallest today in cricket.
Would have to be Murrili,Tendulakr,Ponting,,,I tell you what i thought that Vaas was a tall ,i would have picked him to be about 6"2 ish,that is amazing if he is so short,like marshall not many blokes around that height that bowled like him,an outstanding cricketer and i would put him as a champion.
Can we also start a team of telly tubbies,Players who have at one point or another been a tubby, i will try and pick an aussie side of telly tubbs,or Stocky built blokes.

Taylor
Stackpole
Boon
Border

Marsh
Gilmore
Warne

Nup i give up,hehehe need help maybe just a world side of best porkers ever
in would go Gatting,Botham,Inziman,Lara,who has put on a ton of weight and its showing in his cricket IMO. Now need more help.
The short players issue was really to say the shorts were the better players in test cricket,with all the bradmans and Borders ,lara,Tendulkar ,gavaskar etc,all short and dominant in record books.
Must be something about being short and being a batsman huh,,, :punk:
I would be happy to take the tallest cricketers that have played international crickst (and the shortest) and try to make a team from those. as we fall short of an 11 we keep diluting the criteria ever so slightly to finally get an eleven that is as close to being the tallest or shortest as we can manage. The point being that height(with international cricket exposure) is the first qualification, cricketing merit secondary.

BTW, David Larter is another very tall fast bowler I have seen. He must have been above 5' 5" for sure.

Last edited:

jlo33692

U19 Debutant
Yes your right SJS
we are getting away from the original point,Who is Larter?
I think the first point to finding the answers is to find where they found all the cricketers heights,They seemed to have them all in alphabetical order and just pinging them out as quick as anyone could ask so they must be on a site somewhere,for without them we are guessing the heights and putting players in who maybe dont qualify,I think once we get the list of say 20 in each team we would get a good side from both and then see who we think has the better team.