• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Player of the Year awards

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
How did Flintoff get = Player of the Year during the period in question?

Quite rightly, he wasnt amongst the nominations for test player of the year as a no. of players had substantially better years than him in that arena.

The selectors obviously consider that ODI performances weigh much more heavily than tests.

His award is a joke.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
social said:
My initial thought was that - but bear in mind how many people actually had to vote for it.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
zinzan12 said:
Hmmm...What a surprise....no NZer's considered as usual :dry:
Might that not be because there are few outstanding NZers? Except perhaps Hamish Marshall.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Barney Rubble said:
Does anyone else think a "Captain of the Year" award would be a good idea?
About as good an idea as "Emerging" IMO.
And that's a very, very bad one.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I guess everything associated with the ICC is done with commercial interests in mind. HOw Kallis or Flintoff deserved that award over Warne or McGrath will forever be a mystery.

thierry henry

International Coach
Flintoff getting the award is ridiculous. Clearly the judges were incapable of sticking to the period they were supposed to.

thierry henry

International Coach
Blaze said:
Only two that had a chance were Vettori for ODI player and Marshall for emerging.
I don't think NZ had much of a chance, not because we have no outstanding players, but because we didn't play much cricket over the last year.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
honestbharani said:
I guess everything associated with the ICC is done with commercial interests in mind. HOw Kallis or Flintoff deserved that award over Warne or McGrath will forever be a mystery.
What does Kallis have to do with 'commercial interests'? He's not exactly marketable. Especially considering you mentioned Warne as someone who should have got it... who is about as commercial as they get.

parisa

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Barney Rubble said:
Does anyone else think a "Captain of the Year" award would be a good idea?
They could try that out...there is nothing wrong in giving it a shot...now that all of a sudden the ICC is in such an experimental mood. I wonder who the award would go to...Ricky Ponting or maybe Stephen Fleming for his ingenious tactics...

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
The awards ceremony lacked the glitz which should accompany such an ocassion. If Mark Nicholas and Mandira Bedi were a joke as couple hosting the show last year, Mark Nicholas alone was simply boring this time.

I mean let the great man Mr. Benaud take 15 more seconds if he wants to before he announces the winners. You dont have to tell him to announce the award..

Also, why werent Flintoff and Kallis given an opportunity to make a congratulatory speech and had to go through a question answer session answering what their wifes were allowed to call or not call them in home.

So the Hyundai man and Nicholas already knew who the winners would be or there would be two winners. Why should they have such a privelege. The envelope should be sealed or some thing with the winners not disclosed.

The people voting didnt follow the voting year as some one mentioned (in any case it doesnt make sense to include 1 test of the Ashes and exclude the rest).

Also, I dont like the idea of joint winners. A provision should be there in case of a tie so that we have a sole winner for the year.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Regarding new awards which may be included and on earlier awards:

Captain of the year does sound good.

A special recognition award for a person who has served the game immensely over the years would be nice as well. It can be given to an outgoing legend from the game - an umpire, a player or a commentator or an administrator or any one else. Maybe 2-3 awards if the need be.

Shephard would win it this year.

In 1-2 years Benaud would win it.

Regarding the spirit of the year award - why give it to a team specifically and not to a gesture - no matter by an individual or team or whatever.

I would have given it to India an Pakistan last year for the spirit shown by both teams and their fans in India's historic tour of Pakistan

This year it would go to Murali and Warne for coming together for Tsunami relief in Sri Lanka. Maybe some other Sri Lankan cricketers or whoever the award givers feel deserved it in lines with the small effort made by cricket in the face of the Tsunami disaster.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
So...Pietersen and Caprice eh? i'd have thought he could have found someone a bit more classy, but as his brother said, "it's only due to who he is - because he's not the best looking bloke in the world is he?".

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
parisa said:
They could try that out...there is nothing wrong in giving it a shot...now that all of a sudden the ICC is in such an experimental mood. I wonder who the award would go to...Ricky Ponting or maybe Stephen Fleming for his ingenious tactics...
Ponting?

Are you having a laugh?!

jasp000

Cricket Spectator

Quite rightly, he wasnt amongst the nominations for test player of the year as a no. of players had substantially better years than him in that arena.

The selectors obviously consider that ODI performances weigh much more heavily than tests.

His award is a joke.
Aye he's been the second best bowler in the world over the last year and other than his batting against S africa his batting has been very impressive, add onto that his one day performances and he should of been a shoe in imo. A couple of little stats aswell one day before the voting period he scored 167 and one day after he scored 102. The people who voted would of looked at the game by game stats and what impact players had on each game and with that taken into account Flintoff should of won it without a doubt.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Jono said:
What does Kallis have to do with 'commercial interests'? He's not exactly marketable. Especially considering you mentioned Warne as someone who should have got it... who is about as commercial as they get.
lol, I guess Kallis' receding hairline sells these days. :p

But seriously though, I thought it was wrong of Pieterson to have won the ODI player of the year award. He himself mentioned that he was totally flattered. And I still think Warney should have been the test player of the year. Him or McGrath. Player of the year is okay, I guess, but again why was Flintoff there? His best series was not even in the voting period.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
marc71178 said:
Ponting?

Are you having a laugh?!
Exactly. Ponting's probably the worst captain around at the moment, Bangladeshis and Zimbaweans notwithstanding - if there was a Captain of the Year award, Michael Vaughan would clearly have won it, even without the Ashes being included. Winning in South Africa (and pretty convincingly, too) is not something to be taken lightly.

a massive zebra

International Captain
superkingdave said:
So...Pietersen and Caprice eh? i'd have thought he could have found someone a bit more classy, but as his brother said, "it's only due to who he is - because he's not the best looking bloke in the world is he?".

She's about 60 isnt she?? Certainly looks it. KP could do better than her, afterall shes been round half the sportin nation....Slapper :laugh:

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
jasp000 said:
Aye he's been the second best bowler in the world over the last year and other than his batting against S africa his batting has been very impressive, add onto that his one day performances and he should of been a shoe in imo. A couple of little stats aswell one day before the voting period he scored 167 and one day after he scored 102. The people who voted would of looked at the game by game stats and what impact players had on each game and with that taken into account Flintoff should of won it without a doubt.
Flintoff took 44 wickets at 25 but only scored 360 runs @ 30. That barely qualifies him as a quality all-rounder.

Kallis scored 1500 runs at 70 and took 20 wickets.

McGrath took 60 odd wickets at 15

Warne took 60 odd wickets.

Even if you discount Warne because he doesnt play ODIs, the others are so far in front of Fred that it's silly.

Good luck to him. He's improved immensely and is justifiably called the greatest all-rounder in the world at present.

However, he was not within cooee of being player of the year during the period in question.