• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Their best knock/best bowling performances

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
After suggestions that Ponting's 156 in the 3rd test of the Ashes was his best innings he's ever played, I was thinking it'd be great to make a thread where we could discuss various players' best knocks or best bowling spells/performances in their career. It could result in some good debate, when we determine various criteria like the opposition, match situation, pitch etc.

So basically I'll name a player and we can have discussions and then after a fair few replies someone else will name a new player, whether bowler of batsman. We'll do both ODI and Tests, unless obviously the player is predominantly only a test or ODI player eg. Symonds.

I was specifically thinking about what Dravid's best test knock is the other day, as he's had so many terrific ones. And also the same with ODIs. So I'll nominate him first since I think it could be interesting.

Obviously Dravid's 233 at Adelaide in 2004 in the 2nd test was one of his finest (http://aus.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/2003-04/IND_IN_AUS/SCORECARDS/IND_AUS_T2_12-16DEC2003.html), and probably my favourite. His 180 in the famous Laxman/Dravid partnership was another (http://aus.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/2000-01/AUS_IN_IND/SCORECARDS/AUS_IND_T2_11-15MAR2001.html). I think the 2nd test against Pakistan earlier this year where he scored a ton in each innings was also fantastic (http://aus.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/2004-05/PAK_IN_IND/SCORECARDS/PAK_IND_T2_16-20MAR2005.html), particularly his 2nd innings hundred because after Tendulkar and Ganguly fell they did seem in some trouble. However one knock I always remember from him was his first test hundred against South Africa at Johannesburg (http://www.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1996-97/IND_IN_RSA/IND_RSA_T3_16-20JAN1997.html). He was up against a fairly good attack with Donald and Pollock doing some damage but batted fantastically and allowed India to almost win that game (light and rain had a lot to do with them not winning) despite it being a dead rubber with SA already having the series won.) What made it even more special was throughout the series he was being shifted around, something even being used as a make-shift opener which can't have helped him so early in his career.

Dravid didn't have the best start to his career in ODIs, but I feel his 107 against Pakistan (in the famous Anwar 194 match - http://www.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1996-97/OD_TOURNEYS/IC-IND/PAK_IND_IC-IND_ODI6_21MAY1997.html) was a fantastic innings from him. Might not be his best, as the bowling attack he was against wasn't superb and it was clearly a typical ODI flat pitch, but when Tendulkar and then Ganguly fell early in the innings he played a great knock to get India fairly close to the huge target of . I remember watching and pretty much thinking India were done once Ganguly fell, but Dravid fought on. His 123 against NZ (http://aus.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1998-99/IND_IN_NZ/SCORECARDS/IND_NZ_ODI1_09JAN1999.html) was also one of his good knocks earlier in his career, once again coming in a losing cause though.

What do you guys think is Dravid's best test knock and ODI knock?

Last edited:

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
For Dravid, I'd have to say his knock in Adelaide. I thought it was 180 was good once he passed 100 but the 233 was class all the way. I was there for most of it and he had a brick-wall defence when he wasn't taking paint off the pickets on the cover fence. A hook for 6 to bring up his 100 was pretty cool too!

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
Dravid played a magnificent innings in Adelaide which helped his side win the test and turn the series in the Indian favour. However, at the time Australia had just hit a huge total and the innings was just unfolding. Even after Dravid was dismissed the game was still in Australia's favour. It took a brilliant spell from Agarkar to set it up for the Indians and Dravid to finish it off.

One might argue that in Kolkata it was Laxman who did all of the work and Dravid wasn't the main part of the victory. However it was the match and series situation that makes it so special. India were looking right down the barrel, following on, still behind the Australian total and about to lose their first home series against Australia for 25 years? The innings itself was brilliant and the partnership and understand with Laxman to produce a mammoth 376 run stand, completely turn around the series and win the Border-Gavaskar Trophy from nowhere.

It was a full stregth Australian team which had won 16 tests in a row. Waugh was at the height of his captaincy, Warne and McGrath were together unlike in Adelaide and from the situation they were in no-one expected India to be able to do anything. Without Dravid India would have certainly lost match, the series and a hell of a lot of pride.

Dravid's 180 pips the 233 only just although both were two of the greatest innings of my lifetime

Barney Rubble

International Coach
I haven't seen enough of Dravid's best innings to really know which is his best, but I do remember watching him on TV scoring a wonderful 217 against England three years ago. It woke me up to what a superb batsman he is - England tried every trick in the book and they couldn't get him out for love nor money. They probably never would have, if whoever was at the other end hadn't given Dravid a dodgy quick single to run and been responsible for his run out, IIRC.

twctopcat

International Regular
I saw all of the 233 in Adelaide live and it was a batting masterclass if ever i saw one. Certainly the best i've ever seen him Bat along with the 2nd innings when he was imperious in every way.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Although I didn't see it live, by all accounts his 148 at Headingley was brilliant. The best knock I've seen from him is the 233 at Adelaide though...closely followed by the 180 at Kolkata.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
I unfortunately have had the liberty of being up in the morning & practically seeing both Dravid's 180 & 233 (very frustrating) but both swung the series in India's direction practically. But i rate the 180 slighty higher because he faced a better aussie attack in Kolkatta.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
I cant remember 2 many devastating ODI innings from him but 3 that i may say that are his best are:

- 150 odd vs Sri in 99 WC

- 100 odd not out vs WI at ahmedabad in 2002

- 99 vs PAK Karachi 2004

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
aussie said:
I cant remember 2 many devastating ODI innings from him but 3 that i may say that are his best are:

- 150 odd vs Sri in 99 WC
Yeah that was a top knock in that brilliant partnership between himself and Ganguly. Not often remembered because Ganguly scored 184 in the same game and almost broke Anwar's record, he was hitting sixes straight down the ground like it was nothing.

Chubb

International Regular
Barney Rubble said:
I haven't seen enough of Dravid's best innings to really know which is his best, but I do remember watching him on TV scoring a wonderful 217 against England three years ago. It woke me up to what a superb batsman he is - England tried every trick in the book and they couldn't get him out for love nor money. They probably never would have, if whoever was at the other end hadn't given Dravid a dodgy quick single to run and been responsible for his run out, IIRC.
It was wicketkeeper Ajay Ratra who ran Dravid out, very close to the Indian record overseas score at the time too.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Chubb said:
It was wicketkeeper Ajay Ratra who ran Dravid out, very close to the Indian record overseas score at the time too.
Ratra's one meaningful contribution to international cricket - apart from getting injured and allowing Parthiv Patel to become the youngest international wicketkeeper, of course.

Stunning innings, anyway - and I'm very surprised I managed to remember that it ended with a run out. I missed a lot of that series - both of Vaughan's 190-odds happened when I was away from home. I caught Sachin and Ganguly destroying the new ball at Old Trafford (I think) though, that was fun.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Barney Rubble said:
Ratra's one meaningful contribution to international cricket - apart from getting injured and allowing Parthiv Patel to become the youngest international wicketkeeper, of course.
and his hundred vs WI on the flatest pitch in the world in 2002 :p

Langeveldt

Soutie
One spell that stands out for me was Makhaya Ntini's 6-60 against New Zealand at Blomfontein on one of the flattest pitches ever.. Not sure if thats his PB, but certainly his best spell, by miles..

Best Fleming innings? That one during the WC 2003..
Best Warne bowling? Take your pick..
Best Flintoff Innings? On tour in New Zealand when he put all those runs with Graeme Thorpe.. That was the turning point from beer and pie monster to chiselled and comanding performer..

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Might have been the turning point, but I'm not so sure it's his best.

The ton he made in the Ashes will take some beating (and lets hope that he does better it!)

Blaze

Banned
Best Astle Innings in tests - 222 vs. England (fastest double century ever and the best hitting I have ever seen in my life), same match as the one you guys were talking about above regarding Flintoff

Best Bond Bowling in ODI's - 6/23 vs. AUS in the world cup.

Best innings Fleming- the best I have ever seen him bat in either a one dayer or a test match would have to be his 100 against the FICA World XI even though it didn't have ODI status. It was just so out of character. 6's everywhere off both Warne and Murali.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
ok i'll name a few of my favourite players & state the best batting or bowling performances i've seen from them:

Lara:

Best Innings in test: 153 not out no doubt, jus a kid when i saw but it was of the mat yo
Best Innings in ODI's: 100 vs SA WC opener

Flintoff:

Best Innings in test: touch & go between his hundred at TB & his 142 vs SA at lord's
Best Bowling in test: His 5 for vs Aus at the Oval no doubt

Best innings in ODI's: his 84 vs Pak in the Karachi dusts of course
Best bowling in ODI's: 10-2-15-2 vs India in the WC, just superb bowling by Freddie that day

Hayden:

Best innings in test: 203 vs India in Chennai
Best innings in Odi's: that blistering 146 vs Pakistan in Kenya dalm that was good knock

Warne:

Best innings in test: many may go for the 99 vs NZ or the 90 vs Eng but i rate his 88 vs Pak at the gabba has his best

Best bowling in test: Their has been so much but his 10 wicket haul vs Sri on his return to test cricket stands out for me.

Best innings in ODI's: cant remember any 8-)
Best bowling in ODI's: Definately his 4 in the 99 WC semi-final

Tendulkar:

Best innings in test: that crazy, gun-shot 155 in chennai in 98 geez that was just BOOOOOOOOM

Best innings in ODI's: my favourtie was 140 odd vs Aus in Sharjah in early 99

McGrath:

Best innings in test: the fantastci 61 that cover drive of Chris martin i'll never forget :D
Best bowling in test: definately his spell at lord's in 97

Best bowling in ODI's: 5 for vs WI right here in the 99 WC

Gilchrist:

Best innings in test: hmmmm a toss up between his 149 at hobart & his 204 at Jo'burg
Best innings in ODI's: that superb 100 vs Pak at Lahore in 98 or his 124 vs Eng at the SCG

Steve Waugh:

Best innings in test: that emotional hundred vs eng at the scg is a standout
Best innings in ODI's: the wondeful 120 vs SA

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
A few responses to aussie's picks...

For Lara, agreed on his test knock, but for his ODI one there's a few better I think. I remember two in particular, in consecutive matches in the 96/97 C&U series in Australia, where he scored a run a ball century in the first match and 90 in the second to get the West Indies home chasing big scores. The 90 was the better innings for me, because I remember watching it near the end and the Windies needed more than 12 an over, and they got it because Lara went absolutely mental and smashed about 50 off 3 or so overs with Samuels putting in some big hits too, including consecutive sixes off Warne and an over where he and Samuels absolutely destroyed Tom Moody. Finally off the last ball of the 49th over Warne got Lara out for 90 off 110, after he'd taken 80 or 90 balls to get to his 50. Bichel bowled the last over and got hit for four down the ground off the second ball and the Windies won, and Australia didn't make the final of their home tri-series for the first time in years. Amazing innings.

Hayden's 203 against India was amazing, and probably deserves to be his best, but his century against Pakistan in Sharjah in high 40s temperatures against Shoaib, Waqar, Saqlain and Kaneria was quite amazing too.

For Warne, it is amazingly difficult, but for me it's probably his spell against Pakistan at Brisbane in 1995. The most amazing thing about it was how Warne just stamped his authority on the series. Pakistan had just come to Australia, and at the time were considered a real threat to a team that were the best in the world but weren't exactly dominant yet. Pakistan had the two Ws at their best, Saqlain, and a fairly formiddable batting lineup including some excellent players of spin bowling. Steve Waugh scored a century as Australia made 400+ on a relatively flat wicket, and Warne came out an absolutely destroyed Pakistan, taking 7 for 23 in 16 overs and bowling Pakistan out for 97. Warne finished with 11 for the match and took 19 for the series as Australia won 2-1, but it was gone as a contest after Warne bowled that spell. Simply incredible.

Warne's best in ODIs is from the 99 WC semi, but people forget the 96 WC semi where he did the same thing against the West Indies and brought Australia back into the match from nowhere.

For Steve Waugh, I can't go past his 200 against the West indies in 95. You'd be hard pressed to find a better example of someone standing up against a brilliant bowling attack and defeating them. After Waugh made that famous 63 in the third test on a horrific pitch, it was so clear he had the edge over the Windies attack, and he came out in the next test and just mauled them. Amazing stuff.

Last edited:

Woody_cloudofsm

School Boy/Girl Captain
Chris harris 130 versus australia in madras my birthplace in 96 quater final followed up by mark waughs vigil
man how many magnificent one day innings were played by deano and junior dean jones 145 versus england. Ambrose has bowled some ridiculous spells where he was just unplayable.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Blaze said:
Best Astle Innings in tests - 222 vs. England (fastest double century ever and the best hitting I have ever seen in my life), same match as the one you guys were talking about above regarding Flintoff .
That was one of the best test matches I've seen, brilliant game..