Cricket Player Manager
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Their best knock/best bowling performances

Their best knock/best bowling performances

After suggestions that Ponting's 156 in the 3rd test of the Ashes was his best innings he's ever played, I was thinking it'd be great to make a thread where we could discuss various players' best knocks or best bowling spells/performances in their career. It could result in some good debate, when we determine various criteria like the opposition, match situation, pitch etc.

So basically I'll name a player and we can have discussions and then after a fair few replies someone else will name a new player, whether bowler of batsman. We'll do both ODI and Tests, unless obviously the player is predominantly only a test or ODI player eg. Symonds.

I was specifically thinking about what Dravid's best test knock is the other day, as he's had so many terrific ones. And also the same with ODIs. So I'll nominate him first since I think it could be interesting.

Obviously Dravid's 233 at Adelaide in 2004 in the 2nd test was one of his finest (http://aus.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/2...16DEC2003.html), and probably my favourite. His 180 in the famous Laxman/Dravid partnership was another (http://aus.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/2...15MAR2001.html). I think the 2nd test against Pakistan earlier this year where he scored a ton in each innings was also fantastic (http://aus.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/2...20MAR2005.html), particularly his 2nd innings hundred because after Tendulkar and Ganguly fell they did seem in some trouble. However one knock I always remember from him was his first test hundred against South Africa at Johannesburg (http://www.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1...20JAN1997.html). He was up against a fairly good attack with Donald and Pollock doing some damage but batted fantastically and allowed India to almost win that game (light and rain had a lot to do with them not winning) despite it being a dead rubber with SA already having the series won.) What made it even more special was throughout the series he was being shifted around, something even being used as a make-shift opener which can't have helped him so early in his career.

Dravid didn't have the best start to his career in ODIs, but I feel his 107 against Pakistan (in the famous Anwar 194 match - http://www.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1...21MAY1997.html) was a fantastic innings from him. Might not be his best, as the bowling attack he was against wasn't superb and it was clearly a typical ODI flat pitch, but when Tendulkar and then Ganguly fell early in the innings he played a great knock to get India fairly close to the huge target of . I remember watching and pretty much thinking India were done once Ganguly fell, but Dravid fought on. His 123 against NZ (http://aus.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1...09JAN1999.html) was also one of his good knocks earlier in his career, once again coming in a losing cause though.

What do you guys think is Dravid's best test knock and ODI knock?
    Last edited by Jono; 17-09-2005 at 09:01 AM.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    For Dravid, I'd have to say his knock in Adelaide. I thought it was 180 was good once he passed 100 but the 233 was class all the way. I was there for most of it and he had a brick-wall defence when he wasn't taking paint off the pickets on the cover fence. A hook for 6 to bring up his 100 was pretty cool too!
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

Dravid played a magnificent innings in Adelaide which helped his side win the test and turn the series in the Indian favour. However, at the time Australia had just hit a huge total and the innings was just unfolding. Even after Dravid was dismissed the game was still in Australia's favour. It took a brilliant spell from Agarkar to set it up for the Indians and Dravid to finish it off.

One might argue that in Kolkata it was Laxman who did all of the work and Dravid wasn't the main part of the victory. However it was the match and series situation that makes it so special. India were looking right down the barrel, following on, still behind the Australian total and about to lose their first home series against Australia for 25 years? The innings itself was brilliant and the partnership and understand with Laxman to produce a mammoth 376 run stand, completely turn around the series and win the Border-Gavaskar Trophy from nowhere.

It was a full stregth Australian team which had won 16 tests in a row. Waugh was at the height of his captaincy, Warne and McGrath were together unlike in Adelaide and from the situation they were in no-one expected India to be able to do anything. Without Dravid India would have certainly lost match, the series and a hell of a lot of pride.

Dravid's 180 pips the 233 only just although both were two of the greatest innings of my lifetime
    Stedders' Supported XI (in batting order)
    NJ Kruger, *SM Katich, LA Carseldine, MEK Hussey, Mohammad Ashraful, NT Broom, AA Noffke, +Mushfiqur Rahim, Mashrafe Mortaza, DE Bollinger, WAP Mendis.

CricketWeb Black!!!

Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post
    I think Ponting forgot to take his Swiss Ulti-Vites when he was on 99 not out.
    RIP Fardin.

International Coach Barney Rubble's Avatar
    I haven't seen enough of Dravid's best innings to really know which is his best, but I do remember watching him on TV scoring a wonderful 217 against England three years ago. It woke me up to what a superb batsman he is - England tried every trick in the book and they couldn't get him out for love nor money. They probably never would have, if whoever was at the other end hadn't given Dravid a dodgy quick single to run and been responsible for his run out, IIRC.

I'll vote for the 1997 ODI innings among those I have seen.

International Regular twctopcat's Avatar
    I saw all of the 233 in Adelaide live and it was a batting masterclass if ever i saw one. Certainly the best i've ever seen him Bat along with the 2nd innings when he was imperious in every way.
    R.I.P Fardin Qayyumi (Cricket Player)

'Last one on drugs is a queer,' yells portillo..
    Hope is a good thing, maybe even the best of things. And no good thing ever dies......
    Self appointed president of the KPPAS

International Vice-Captain Dasa's Avatar
    Although I didn't see it live, by all accounts his 148 at Headingley was brilliant. The best knock I've seen from him is the 233 at Adelaide though...closely followed by the 180 at Kolkata.

I unfortunately have had the liberty of being up in the morning & practically seeing both Dravid's 180 & 233 (very frustrating) but both swung the series in India's direction practically. But i rate the 180 slighty higher because he faced a better aussie attack in Kolkatta.

I cant remember 2 many devastating ODI innings from him but 3 that i may say that are his best are:

- 150 odd vs Sri in 99 WC

- 100 odd not out vs WI at ahmedabad in 2002

- 99 vs PAK Karachi 2004

Quote Originally Posted by aussie
    I cant remember 2 many devastating ODI innings from him but 3 that i may say that are his best are:

- 150 odd vs Sri in 99 WC
    Yeah that was a top knock in that brilliant partnership between himself and Ganguly. Not often remembered because Ganguly scored 184 in the same game and almost broke Anwar's record, he was hitting sixes straight down the ground like it was nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Barney Rubble
    I haven't seen enough of Dravid's best innings to really know which is his best, but I do remember watching him on TV scoring a wonderful 217 against England three years ago. It woke me up to what a superb batsman he is - England tried every trick in the book and they couldn't get him out for love nor money. They probably never would have, if whoever was at the other end hadn't given Dravid a dodgy quick single to run and been responsible for his run out, IIRC.
    It was wicketkeeper Ajay Ratra who ran Dravid out, very close to the Indian record overseas score at the time too.
    ZIMBABWE
    Somebody has to...

International Coach Barney Rubble's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chubb
    It was wicketkeeper Ajay Ratra who ran Dravid out, very close to the Indian record overseas score at the time too.
    Ratra's one meaningful contribution to international cricket - apart from getting injured and allowing Parthiv Patel to become the youngest international wicketkeeper, of course.

Stunning innings, anyway - and I'm very surprised I managed to remember that it ended with a run out. I missed a lot of that series - both of Vaughan's 190-odds happened when I was away from home. I caught Sachin and Ganguly destroying the new ball at Old Trafford (I think) though, that was fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Barney Rubble
    Ratra's one meaningful contribution to international cricket - apart from getting injured and allowing Parthiv Patel to become the youngest international wicketkeeper, of course.
    and his hundred vs WI on the flatest pitch in the world in 2002

Pinball Champion!
    One spell that stands out for me was Makhaya Ntini's 6-60 against New Zealand at Blomfontein on one of the flattest pitches ever.. Not sure if thats his PB, but certainly his best spell, by miles..

Best Fleming innings? That one during the WC 2003..
    Best Warne bowling? Take your pick..
    Best Flintoff Innings? On tour in New Zealand when he put all those runs with Graeme Thorpe.. That was the turning point from beer and pie monster to chiselled and comanding performer..
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Might have been the turning point, but I'm not so sure it's his best.

The ton he made in the Ashes will take some beating (and lets hope that he does better it!)
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information