Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "What they said"...A brilliant read.

"What they said"...A brilliant read.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Hindsight's wonderful, but you've gotta laugh at Thommo's comment about Hoggard being a net bowler compared to McGrath & Kasprowicz. I have a lot of time for Kasper & I'm sure not being certain of his place didn't help him, but I think we all know who performed the better.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"as much a news event as an actual footballer, a worthy stop-start centre forward, but an all-time hyper-galactico when it comes to doing funny things with cars and hats, a player whose signing proves once again that the Premier League is still undoubtedly the best in the world when it comes to doing things with cars and hats."
    - Barney Ronay on Mario Balotelli

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby
    Hindsight's wonderful, but you've gotta laugh at Thommo's comment about Hoggard being a net bowler compared to McGrath & Kasprowicz. I have a lot of time for Kasper & I'm sure not being certain of his place didn't help him, but I think we all know who performed the better.
    Thommo is notoriously biased towards Queenslanders generally, so it's not a great shock that he'd choose Kasprowicz for the comparison and not (as might have seemed more fitting) Gillespie.

Didn't Hoggard also say that Warne wasn't as good as he used to be and was a much more defensive bowler these days? Didn't look it to me.
    I know a place where a royal flush
    Can never beat a pair

Some of the things that are included there are really odd too.

What's so "weird and wacky" about Ponting saying the ODI series didn't mean much because tests are a different game and "we'll see how it goes"? That seems fairly reasonable to me. And including Hoggard's ridiculous comments about the age of the Australian bowlers as "right" is a bit silly, given that Australia's best bowlers in the series were 35 year olds, one of whom had a man of the match performance before he trod on a ball (which I doubt was what Hoggard was suggesting might happen) and the other of whom became the 7th guy in test history to take 40 wickets in a series.

Yeah, fair enough. Although Hoggy wasn't alone in suggesting Warney was on the slide a bit. I think both the Waughs said something similar too.

I'll hold my hands up, I didn't call it at all. To be fair, it would've been a pretty one-eyed Englishman who did!

On an entirely unrelated topic, what were SP's predictions beforehand?!

International 12th Man
    Quote Originally Posted by FaaipDeOiad
    Some of the things that are included there are really odd too.

What's so "weird and wacky" about Ponting saying the ODI series didn't mean much because tests are a different game and "we'll see how it goes"? That seems fairly reasonable to me. And including Hoggard's ridiculous comments about the age of the Australian bowlers as "right" is a bit silly, given that Australia's best bowlers in the series were 35 year olds, one of whom had a man of the match performance before he trod on a ball (which I doubt was what Hoggard was suggesting might happen) and the other of whom became the 7th guy in test history to take 40 wickets in a series.
    I think the point is the context in which he said it - just written there it looks bland, but when he said it we all know it meant "so what if we've struggled in the one-dayers and had all sorts of weaknesses exposed, that doesn't mean we'll struggle in the tests... etc"

When with the benefit of hindsight we can identify many of the reasons why England won the test series as being present in the ODIs. In fact it is hardly surprising that Australia ultimately squeaked the ODIs but lost the tests considering England strengthened after the onedayers, and australia (arguably) weakened.
    Last edited by greg; 14-09-2005 at 11:17 AM.

International Vice-Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby
    Yeah, fair enough. Although Hoggy wasn't alone in suggesting Warney was on the slide a bit. I think both the Waughs said something similar too.

I'll hold my hands up, I didn't call it at all. To be fair, it would've been a pretty one-eyed Englishman who did!

On an entirely unrelated topic, what were SP's predictions beforehand?!
    This?

Quote Originally Posted by The Baconator
    The boy did good, apart from overrating Harmy.

Breakout Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Alderman
    If Australia get away to a good start then England have got no chance. They have got to be competitive in that first Test at Lord's or else it's goodnight.
    Is it physically possible to be more wrong?

McGrath?
    Or something.

RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990 - 15/4/2006

Breakout Champion!
    Fair enough

Quote Originally Posted by greg
    When with the benefit of hindsight we can identify many of the reasons why England won the test series as being present in the ODIs. In fact it is hardly surprising that Australia ultimately squeaked the ODIs but lost the tests considering England strengthened after the onedayers, and australia (arguably) weakened.
    England lost Collingwood and Gough, and got Bell and Hoggard... not a particularly huge improvement, really. Hoggard was a good bowler in the series but didn't set the world alight, and Bell was very poor. Australia lost Hussey, Symonds and Hogg, and got Langer, Katich and Warne, including their best batsman and best bowler in the series. If you ask me, Australia got the bigger boost.

It's also worth remembering that the pitches were very different. The ODIs, at least in the NatWest Series, were played on some pretty lively wickets. Sophia Gardens against Bangladesh seamed around early, Old Trafford both seamed and turned, Durham was pretty lively, Headingley was absolutely menacing in the first session with the cloud cover, and the final at Lords was a very green wicket as well.

I don't think you can necessarily find that much of a connection between the two, aside from Australia, particularly Gilchrist, struggling against Flintoff and Gillespie and Kasprowicz both being woeful with the ball. It told us that the teams were fairly evenly matched, but it didn't necessarily have a huge bearing on the results in the test series, especially when you consider that Australia got all the momentum from winning the final two games. What Ponting said was pretty much spot on, I think.

International Coach Barney Rubble's Avatar
    I think one of the funniest comments was, I think by Alderman, "If any of the Australian batsmen get out to Giles, they should hang themselves".

They'd have worn out the noose by now - Gilo dismisse each of the top 8 at least once.

Quote Originally Posted by Barney Rubble
    I think one of the funniest comments was, I think by Alderman, "If any of the Australian batsmen get out to Giles, they should hang themselves".

They'd have worn out the noose by now - Gilo dismisse each of the top 8 at least once.
    Alderman and Jeff Thompson are the biggest ****s alive.

Why make such a stupid comment?

I hope they are still crying in a corner over what could have been.

If Hoggard is a net bowler... then what the hell is Kaspa?!?!?!

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    I think the stupidest comment of the century was from McGrath. He is the biggest idiot really, to say that they were gonna win 5-0, when they never managed it in the recent past, when they were so much better and England were so much worse than them. He is a legend of the game, but his words deserve to be in the trash bin.
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information