• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Whos the Best Umpire?

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Dasa said:
..or perhaps people have a memory that extends beyond the previous Test.
Now then, that's enough of that.

OZOZ has been a valued member of Cricket Web for more than 3 years now, and has contributed to the forum, er, 30 times.

He'd have visited more often but for the fact that for the last 2 years and 11 months of that time, he has been frantically trying to remember his userid. 4 letters are a lot - almost a handful.

( 8-) )

(OZOZ, welcome back. I don't mean it - much)

howardj

International Coach
I reckon Dar and Taufel are the best two umpires.

Can't believe the grilling that the umpires get subjected to for getting the odd decision wrong. Anyone would think Dar was the worst umpire in the world after the roasting he copped for two or three, admittedly, poor decisions in the 4th Test. Nobody of course criticised him until they themselves saw the replay!

Have to agree with Warne's calls for the video replay to be used for edges onto the pad, and to see whether the ball pitched outside leg-stump. I think it's just ridiculous that it's replayed on the big screen at the ground, yet the umpire, standing there watching the replay, is not allowed to use it to assist him.

Armadillo

State Vice-Captain
I agree with the technology. How many people actually think that hawkeye is 100% correct? Sometimes I feel that it gets it fractionally wrong on occasions, nothing significant enough to make a huge difference, does anyone know how it gets the results that it produces?
By the way I think Dar is a top umpire, so glad that Pakistan finally produced one!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
howardj said:
Have to agree with Warne's calls for the video replay to be used for edges onto the pad, and to see whether the ball pitched outside leg-stump.
The problem is, one of them can be easily determined, but the other much less so (as witnessed by the supposedly shocking LBW that took 15 minutes for anyone to confirm a slight edge)

howardj

International Coach
marc71178 said:
The problem is, one of them can be easily determined, but the other much less so (as witnessed by the supposedly shocking LBW that took 15 minutes for anyone to confirm a slight edge)
Big deal mate. You have a look at the replay, and if it can help you - which it can on with most inside edges - then you use it. If it can not help you, then it's thrown back to the umpire. The point is that the replay is used, not as some magic device that's going to be conclusive 100% of the time, but as an extra tool to help decision making.

greg

International Debutant
Armadillo said:
I agree with the technology. How many people actually think that hawkeye is 100% correct? Sometimes I feel that it gets it fractionally wrong on occasions, nothing significant enough to make a huge difference, does anyone know how it gets the results that it produces?
By the way I think Dar is a top umpire, so glad that Pakistan finally produced one!
Warne's call has no logic beyond those being the two modes of dismissal which cost Australia in the last test.

Why is there any justification for searching for nicks onto pad, but not to extend to nicks behind the wicket which are then caught? Or for determining bat-pad catches?