• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Myths propogated by media and lapped up by fans.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
marc71178 said:
Nobody in their right mind can argue for the selection of Sehwag in an ODI side when Gayle is left out.
If you do not agree on a specific point, the easiest thing to say is they are insane :D

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Anil said:
other than dravid, tendulkar, pathan and a currently resurgent nehra, none of the others deserve a place in the indian one day team....
I am very happy for Nehra

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Pratyush said:
If you do not agree on a specific point, the easiest thing to say is they are insane :D
Have you even looked at the 2 against each other?

Almost certainly not, but personally I'd say the one who's far and away the better batsman and bowler should be selected?

C_C

International Captain
marc71178 said:
Nobody in their right mind can argue for the selection of Sehwag in an ODI side when Gayle is left out.

Nobody in their right mind can also argue about Vettori being in the test side and Lara making it to the ODI team. I dont agree with Sehwag being there either. But here is a bit of news for you : World XIs are produced as much on 'glamour and reputation' perspective as the best achieving XI.

C_C

International Captain
marc71178 said:
Since when has Vettori been glamorous though?!
Actually add 'regional pleasing' to that list.....since it would've looked bad if NZ, a bona fide test nation, didnt have a single player selected.
Besides, i think Vettori gets overhyped by quiete a few.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Anil said:
other than dravid, tendulkar, pathan and a currently resurgent nehra, none of the others deserve a place in the indian one day team....

i don't know why the fu@k they are bringing agarkar back for...he passed his sell-by date soooo long ago....i agree that the bench strength is not so great but what is the point in re-trying tried and tested and proven failures over and over and over again?
Poor bench strength is not the reason AA was picked again.
Gangandeep and Ranadeb Bose both had great domestic seasons and should have made the Indian side by now ahead of AA - however, the powerful Mumbai lobby
won't have any of it. I'm surprised no one else has mentioned that.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
jamesryfler said:
Gangandeep and Ranadeb Bose both had great domestic seasons and should have made the Indian side by now ahead of AA - however, the powerful Mumbai lobby
the powerful mumbai lobby? haven't heard much about that...why is it so powerful?

shankar

International Debutant
honestbharani said:
Another thing is, why has Hemang Badani been dumped? Scoring runs in the VB series finals when everyone else failed is not good enough?
Maybe because he isn't good-looking enough to sell hair gel?

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
jamesryfler said:
It is not bench strength that is lacking. Rather, the selectors lack initiavive and the same can be said of the management and players.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
jamesryfler said:
Mumbai have not won a tournament this season and were knocked out of ROD by the unfancied Uttar Pradesh team. If any team deserves a lobby of it's own, it should be one of the Central teams (UP/Railways) and not Mumbai/Delhi.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
marc71178 said:
Have you even looked at the 2 against each other?

Almost certainly not, but personally I'd say the one who's far and away the better batsman and bowler should be selected?
All I would say is averages are not the be all and end all in selection decisions. The circumstances in which runs are scored, the opposition can have a huge impact. Are we going to analyse all these aspects before coming to a comnclusion?

Also the strike rate of Sehwag is a huge factor which is not taken into account in averages but is crucial on odis for starts.

I will let my judgement of what I have seen of the two dictate my belief that Sehwag>Gayle

You have the right to your opinion.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Pratyush said:
All I would say is averages are not the be all and end all in selection decisions. The circumstances in which runs are scored, the opposition can have a huge impact. Are we going to analyse all these aspects before coming to a comnclusion?

Already been done if you cared to look back.

Gayle is a far better ODI player, 2nd only to Flintoff as ODI all-rounders at the moment (and a far bit ahead of anyone else)

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
marc71178 said:
Already been done if you cared to look back.
Look back where for Gayle vs Sehwag? And why should stats be the be all and end all in deciding a selection.

Gayle is a far better ODI player, 2nd only to Flintoff as ODI all-rounders at the moment (and a far bit ahead of anyone else)
2nd best all rounder in the world - chris gayle?

Some better all rounders than Gayle:

Pakistan - Shahid Afridi, Abdul Razzaq
New Zealand - Chris Cairns
Sri Lanka - Sanath Jayasuriya

ALSO

Do we want to chose an opening all rounder or a batsman who scores faster considering Flintoff will already be in the team as an all rounder!

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Pratyush said:
Look back where for Gayle vs Sehwag? And why should stats be the be all and end all in deciding a selection.

2nd best all rounder in the world - chris gayle?

Some better all rounders than Gayle:

Pakistan - Shahid Afridi, Abdul Razzaq
New Zealand - Chris Cairns
Sri Lanka - Sanath Jayasuriya

ALSO

Do we want to chose an opening all rounder or a batsman who scores faster considering Flintoff will already be in the team as an all rounder!
Yes, 2nd best all-rounder in the world Gayle.

Much better batsman than any of the 4 you mention and a better bowler than at least 2 of them.

The comparision with Sehwag makes his non-selection a clear example of pandering to the marquee player.

deeps

International 12th Man
2nd best all rounder = shane warne :p

Lol, in all seriousness, i'd pick Chris Gayle over Virender Sehwag, due to Gayles ability to bowl well.

As a pure batsman, i'd take Sehwag.

Saying Gayle is the 2nd best all rounder is rubbish though. Looking at current form, over the past year, i'd say the following are better

Andrew Flintoff - you admit this
Abdul Razzaq - seems very under-rated. Excellent bowler, who has showed he is an excellent bat.
Shahid Afridi - Hit and miss type batsman, but has improved his consistency alot lately, and his bowling has been great, has dismissed the best batsman of the opposition consistently. (brian lara, sachin tendulkar etc.)

alybaba

Cricket Spectator
What do you guys know about this Indulker fellow? My bombay buddy swears that he's the second coming of Tendulkar, perhaps even better.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I have read that he is doing well at the levels he is playing at. Gotta wait and watch how he goes in the Ranji this season.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Indulkar had a good 2004-05 season, but fell cheaply twice in the all-important Ranji semi v/s Punjab. He's not seasoned and needs to play another full FC season before he even gets an India A cap, let alone an India jersey.