• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Congratulations Stephen Fleming 6000 Test Runs

Run like Inzy

U19 12th Man
Fleming is one of those underated players who has lots of talent but performs less often than he should. Great captain too. One of the best NZ batsmen ever.

shaka

International Regular
He is probably one of the best captains in the world at the moment.

Last edited:

Isolator

State 12th Man
Ahahaha.

I think he's one of the batsmen in the world at the moment.

EDIT - Good lord, I've been giggling for a minute now. That's gotta be one of the funniest things I've read recently.

Last edited:

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
shaka said:
He is probably one of the best captains in the world at the moment.
If not the best. :)

Good to see Fleming passing that impressive milestone, just a shame it didn't happen back here where it could've been celebrated more.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Isolator said:
And that would make him the greatest New Zealand batsman of all time, wouldn't it?
1) Unfortunately History will judge Fleming on his poor conversion

and ..

2) As talented a batsmen as Fleming is he's not in the same ball park as M.D.Crowe for mine. Even if he'd converted say another 3 or 4 centuries in his test career, i'd never consider quite in the Martin Crowe class. As elegant as he can look, Fleming often looks vunerable both outside off stump and on middle and leg falling across his crease, even when in form. Whereas once Crowe got passed 20-30, bowlers really struggled to have a plan against him. That might actually go a long way to explaining Flemings poor conversion - that he can be dismissed at nearly any time. It pains me to say that about Flem because like most I've always reconised his natural ability.

shaka

International Regular
although he reached the milestone in the most amount of time, his ability to attack Warne and Murali is a feat that has not been seen by any current cricketer who has faced both spinners.
Against Warne his average is 62.5, and Murali has bowled 329 deliveries to the captain and has never taken his wicket.

Zinzan

shaka said:
although he reached the milestone in the most amount of time, his ability to attack Warne and Murali is a feat that has not been seen by any current cricketer who has faced both spinners.
Against Warne his average is 62.5, and Murali has bowled 329 deliveries to the captain and has never taken his wicket.
All true ...however they are slightly selective milestones you point out.

Hey, I certainly think Flem has been a good test batsmen, but seriously, your not suggesting he's in Crowe's class as a test batsmen are you??

Good luck to him on the 6000 runs though....Its no mean feat

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
shaka said:
Its taken from the numbers game that cricinfo produced this week.

Fleming v spin
The table at the bottom of that article is the wrong way around, surely? (ie. should be averaging 79.92 against spin, not pace.)
shaka said:
his ability to attack Warne and Murali is a feat that has not been seen by any current cricketer who has faced both spinners.
I think Lara is miles ahead in terms of being able to attack spinners. Fleming has obviously had success against Murali, but 131 runs from 329 balls doesn't suggest that he attacked his bowling. Compare that to Lara's treatment of Murali in the 2001 series in SL.

shaka

International Regular
really digs up stuff to get awesome statistics, I also enjoy the ask Steven stuff.

Zinzan

Interesting that Tim was under the impression that Fleming has hinted at retiring after the 2007 WC. I hadn't heard that