• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

"The almighty Flintoff" and "the below test standard Lee"

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
Exactly, and I have learned from laying into Harmison and Flintoff that they haven't changed. I am still right to have done so as far as I'm concerned.
Do you watch the same cricket that everybody else watches?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
But when does it become form though Aussie?

30 games out of a career of 36 or 37 games seems a bit far fetched to be "form"

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
marc71178 said:
But when does it become form though Aussie?

30 games out of a career of 36 or 37 games seems a bit far fetched to be "form"
Which is why Roebuck laid down some other factors and not just lack of form.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I was asking Aussie how he reckons a 30 game chunk out of a 37 game career is able to be written off as form.

tooextracool

International Coach
Pratyush said:
You forget the larger picture of the team builidng the selectors have done post 1985. Do not forget Langer, Hayden's come backs - credit to the selectors for bringing them back - a potent reason for the success Australia has achieved has been the opening partnership. Bringing in Clarke in India when not many were wanting him to play (and how Clarke performed in India!) are just things I can think off my head.
and lets not forget the pure genius of the decision to drop katich after singlehandedly saving them at sydney, bringing in hauritz into the side ahead of macgill, dropping michael bevan based on 2 poor series, picking bracken, williams etc ahead of kasparowicz, the inclusion of shane watson as a 'bowling all rounder' etc etc etc. the potent and almost only reason why australia have had success over the last few years is because they've had shane warne and glenn mcgrath in the test side, because if they didnt, they'd be struggling to be anywhere near the best test side in the world.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
tooextracool said:
the potent and almost only reason why australia have had success over the last few years is because they've had shane warne and glenn mcgrath in the test side, because if they didnt, they'd be struggling to be anywhere near the best test side in the world.
That is a very shallow way of looking at it considering Australia showed poor backup bowlers in the series versus India and would struggle if their top 2 bowlers were removed. But wouldnt almost every side which had their two best bowlers removed perform way below, barring maybe the West Indies of the 70s who had good reserves but still would perform at least below how they did with the quartet.

Selection has been a stregth of Australia over the past 20 years despite talent being there. There is no denying it.

tooextracool

International Coach
Pratyush said:
That is a very shallow way of looking at it considering Australia showed poor backup bowlers in the series versus India and would struggle if their top 2 bowlers were removed. But wouldnt almost every side which had their two best bowlers removed perform way below, barring maybe the West Indies of the 70s who had good reserves but still would perform at least below how they did with the quartet.

Selection has been a stregth of Australia over the past 20 years despite talent being there. There is no denying it.
no as far as im concerned, it doesnt really matter how many poor selections the australian selectors make, because the results never change, and thats because mcgrath and warne are always around to ensure that.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
tooextracool said:
no as far as im concerned, it doesnt really matter how many poor selections the australian selectors make, because the results never change, and thats because mcgrath and warne are always around to ensure that.
Warne has not been playing in the one dayers since 2003. So how would you explain the one day success in 2003 world cup and post 2003 :dry:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
I was asking Aussie how he reckons a 30 game chunk out of a 37 game career is able to be written off as form.
its an interesting comment by roebuk marc, i would like to ask him how he established that.... :happy:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Pratyush said:
And yes the Australians have been ruthless in dropping players like they did with Healy when he wanted another test, Steve Waugh would very likely have been dropped if he didnt retire after India's tour of Australia, and it is disputable whether the dropping of the likes of Bevan, Lehmann, Mark Waugh were spot on or poor decisions.

The team certainly continues to perform well which can certainly not be discounted to just talent and no selection acumen.

You forget the larger picture of the team builidng the selectors have done post 1985. Do not forget Langer, Hayden's come backs - credit to the selectors for bringing them back - a potent reason for the success Australia has achieved has been the opening partnership. Bringing in Clarke in India when not many were wanting him to play (and how Clarke performed in India!) are just things I can think off my head.
Bringing Clarke in in India, too, was a poor decision, when there were several more deserving candidates. It is a very fine summary of a poor decision which, due to luck on the selectors' part, was made to look like a good one.
Almost every recent Australian batsman, Mark Waugh and Gilchrist aside, have had early spells and later comebacks - Langer, Hayden, Ponting, Martyn, Stephen Waugh, Lehmann, Katich... see? That wasn't particularly good selection, it was fairly obvious in almost all cases that each player deserved another go.
As for dropping Bevan and Mark Waugh... how can dropping the best ODI player ever and another who comes not too far behind him when both had done not a tremendous amount wrong be construed as anything other than totally stupid?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Pratyush said:
No the fact that you will always try to come up with a reason if Lee performs. Its either the batsmen who are poor or Lee was lucky or it was the pitch or some thing else.
Or sometimes a concoction of the factors.
Amazingly enough the reason I come-up with these reasons is because they are the case.
The reason Lee did well at Lord's was because the wicket was better for bowling on than just about any he's ever bowled on in his Test-career.
And many others besides.
However, there are occasions (Symonds in ODIs, Flintoff to name 2) where players who I've said are rubbish have changed, and I've changed my ideas of them as a result.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Pratyush said:
He has actually said injuries, setbacks and lacks of form and an essentially relaxed brain and not just a lack of form.

As I said, Lee was poor but Roebuck provides a different view than the simplistic rubbish point you brought in for the reason behind it.
Lee was rubbish.
There may have been umpteen reasons for this fact, I'm not denying any of them for a second, but I still maintain, and will do until proven wrong, that Lee simply doesn't have the talent required.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
Do you watch the same cricket that everybody else watches?
Yes.
And still, Harmison and Flintoff cannot do what I've always said they can't - bowl wicket-taking deliveries.
I've never once said they can't be successful Test-match bowlers - anyone who gets the amount of poor strokes those two do can be - but what I've said they can't do they have yet to do.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
so what would you define as a wicket taking delivery, how many of mcgrath or warnes wickets have been poor strokes ? a great deal.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Pratyush said:
Warne has not been playing in the one dayers since 2003. So how would you explain the one day success in 2003 world cup and post 2003 :dry:
The presence of McGrath, Gillespie, Gilchrist, Ponting, Martyn and the like, all of whom have been undroppable to even the most stupid of selectors, might just have helped.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
sledger said:
so what would you define as a wicket taking delivery, how many of mcgrath or warnes wickets have been poor strokes ? a great deal.
How many times has Warne bowled a spell where he's taken 4 or 5 wickets without bowling a single wicket-taking delivery? Not many.
How many times have Harmison and Flintoff done so? Countless times. How many times has McGrath done so? Lots between 2001 and 2004 (though possibly not that many before and after)

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Richard said:
How many times has Warne bowled a spell where he's taken 4 or 5 wickets without bowling a single wicket-taking delivery? Not many.
How many times have Harmison and Flintoff done so? Countless times. How many times has McGrath done so? Lots between 2001 and 2004 (though possibly not that many before and after)
well essentially it depends how you define a wicket taking delivery.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
richard said:
However, there are occasions (Symonds in ODIs, Flintoff to name 2) where players who I've said are rubbish have changed, and I've changed my ideas of them as a result.
if a player starts performing better, it is due to change and your perceptions thus are never wrong really in a specific time then according to you. Really you would never lose.

Richard said:
Lee was rubbish.
but I still maintain, and will do until proven wrong, that Lee simply doesn't have the talent required.
But if Lee does not have the requisite talent, if we are to for a second believe that, he cant perform better as you need the talent to perform. So if Lee performs decently, you would in fact lose on the Lee perception you had.

Regarding the pitch being the ONLY reason for Lee's decent showing in a test(agreed it was just one test but it is better than being written off), that, my friend is as rubbish a logic as they come.